Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

I would like to create a nice organized chart to upload on the site indicating all the pluses and minuses of different store-bought fondant brands.

Anyone care to chime in? I'm going to wait until we have lots and lots of feedback on this before I put it together.

Please include details like:

taste

easy or difficult to work with

price per pound

does it dry out

and anything else you can think of

Views: 2470

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I love Satin Ice for the ease of use, the texture and the flavor.

Like everyone else has said, I've tried Wilton, but the taste is awful.

I've tried Duff's pink fondant, but have found it too soft. 

I just ordered some Fondex Elite (it should be here Wednesday).  I'm hoping it works well.

I'm on my 3rd 20lb pail of Satin Ice...I'm still not sold  on it.  It seems to tear/"spread" on the edges, I might just be rolling it too thin.  I dunno.  My favorite is Massa Gre*(&^ Neutral.  I love the taste of it, it looks beautiful and has a hint of transparency to it, which gives a slight porcelain look when not colored/tinted.  The drawbacks to the Massa are 1. the price - a 13lb tub from Albert Uster costs around $57 and 2. it does not make a pretty shade of purple, any purple coloring turns blue.  If Massa and Satin Ice were the same price, I'd choose Massa in a heartbeat, unless I was making a purple cake, then I'd have to go with Satin Ice.  Until I start raking in the cash on cakes, I have to go with Satin Ice for the kid cakes, too much of a price difference per pound.  For my wedding cakes I will be using Massa.

I've tried most of them and I just don't like any of them that well.  And I don't like the dent they leave in my budget.  Since I have to deal with humidity all the time, I just make my own, nothing complicated, quick and easy and I have better results.

Definitely Satin Ice.  Everybody loves the taste and it rolls out better then any of them.  Wilton and Duffs taste terrible.  I refuse to pay for something that does not taste good. 

Satin Ice...hands down. Wilton tastes horrible! The taste is good. Shipping and all I can get it around $60 for a 20 lb. tub. It is easy to work with too.

I love Satin Ice! I just started using it and it's by far the best one I have tried.  It rolls out well and tastes great. 

Wilton is somewhat easy to work with but like everyone else has already said, it tastes HORRIBLE!

I've tried Duff's in black and white.  I was surprised when I opened the black that it was hard as a rock and you had to microwave it to soften it.  Once I heated it, it was fine though.  I wasn't very happy with the white though because I found it to be waxy and I needed to do some painting on it and the paint/food coloring just beaded up on it. 

Has anybody had any experience with FondX? Ive been dying to try it. I use wilton because it is the easiest to get my hands on locally. I like Duffs black but his others crumble to bad especially the brown/chocolate, I tossed a brand new bucket of it i was so frustrated with it.
I have tried Satin Ice and love everything about it. I will use Wilton for small decorations and warn everyone that it isn't that tasty :) I think Duff is handy and I like the taste. And you can't beat the price when you use a 40% or 50% off Michaels coupon. I tried Fondx this weekend and it was horrible. Maybe it was a bad batch or I am just used to a dryer fondant. But it was soo sticky and difficult to work with. I will try another batch of it to see if it was a bad batch but at this point I don't like it.

Even though Satin Ice have changed lately for the worse I am still with it for the most part. I hear they are working on fixing it. I work with marzipan too. I also tried Choco pan they came out with some hot colors recently! Pretty good, and the flavor is great too.

Although the most expensive one I know is the Carma (massa ticino) my all time favorite, (not Albert Uster's Massa, that's also good though!!) I never worked with another fondant that is so flawless, and taste so good! I use that for my sculpted ones.

I use Fondx & Fondx Elite and love it. If you are used to Wilton you will find Fondx much softer, but once you get used to it, you'll love it. The taste is amazing and when it dries and forms a "crust" it is flawless! You can also firm it up with sugar if you need a harder fondant.

Melinda King said:
Has anybody had any experience with FondX? Ive been dying to try it. I use wilton because it is the easiest to get my hands on locally. I like Duffs black but his others crumble to bad especially the brown/chocolate, I tossed a brand new bucket of it i was so frustrated with it.
I used Wilton and Satin Ice... Wilton is easy to find in any places like Walmart... but for me is very dificult to work... Satin Ice is more expensive is true but I guess the quality is the better and the flavor is wonderfull. Before to read about Fondx Elite I decide to try this brand in my next proyect...

My fav is the fonx and fonx elite because of the flavors. I do like satin ice also. Never will use wilton again.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service