Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Has anyone ever heard of this? If so can you spread some light on it for the rest of us? Thanks!

Views: 16268

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

High ratio is awesome. Pair that with some Brite White and butter vanilla, you will have a wonderful buttercream icing that is great for decorating and tastes great! It's the kind of icing that WILL NOT stick to the roof of your mouth!! We have it here in sunny So Cal, and if you would like to try some, I'll be happy to get you more information!
It is the best!!
I would love to try it! If you wouldn't mind passing along any info you have that would be greatly appreciated.

I do have another question now though, what is Bright White?

Carol Pawlak said:
High ratio is awesome. Pair that with some Brite White and butter vanilla, you will have a wonderful buttercream icing that is great for decorating and tastes great! It's the kind of icing that WILL NOT stick to the roof of your mouth!! We have it here in sunny So Cal, and if you would like to try some, I'll be happy to get you more information! It is the best!!
All of a sudden, people are emailing me about not being able to use crisco in buttercream. I googled this and couldn't find anything. What have you heard?
OMGosh! No I haven't. What's up with that?

Theresa Happe said:
All of a sudden, people are emailing me about not being able to use crisco in buttercream. I googled this and couldn't find anything. What have you heard?
Sherry Qualls said:
Crisco vs High ration has to do with the trans fat (I still don't get all the science to it). Hi Ratio contains high amounts of fat, producing a creamier smoother frosting. Crisco is now completely trans fat free. I am guessing it was a standard in butter cream, but since they changed their recipe it has changed buttercream. Sweetex is a brand of high ratio shortening, I was reading something not too long ago..that they are actually going trans fat free as well (check your labels) and cannot ship to states with trans fat bans. I have only ever used Crisco as that is all that is available to me so I don't know the difference between transfat free butter cream and high ratio buttercream except to say that I have not been happy with the grittiness of my frosting which I now think has to do with trans fat. I do believe that if you check your labels on store brand shortenings you will still find trans fat in them. So many states are passing transfat free laws that this may become the standard in the future..so if you can still find it stock up now. Carol you may want to investigate...California enacted a trans fat ban Jan 1 2010 for restaurants and looks like Jan 1 2011 for bakeries
http://www.yumsugar.com/6842326

Looks like cake decorators will have to get creative...necessity is the mother of invention

Happy Caking
Sherry
Thanks for that info Sherry. I guess I should have been gotten more into the "fat" of the topic, not so much
as what it does for my roses!! Good to know, and will definitely find out the info and make sure that my local cake supply in Newhall is complying.

Carol Pawlak said:
Sherry Qualls said:
Crisco vs High ration has to do with the trans fat (I still don't get all the science to it). Hi Ratio contains high amounts of fat, producing a creamier smoother frosting. Crisco is now completely trans fat free. I am guessing it was a standard in butter cream, but since they changed their recipe it has changed buttercream. Sweetex is a brand of high ratio shortening, I was reading something not too long ago..that they are actually going trans fat free as well (check your labels) and cannot ship to states with trans fat bans. I have only ever used Crisco as that is all that is available to me so I don't know the difference between transfat free butter cream and high ratio buttercream except to say that I have not been happy with the grittiness of my frosting which I now think has to do with trans fat. I do believe that if you check your labels on store brand shortenings you will still find trans fat in them. So many states are passing transfat free laws that this may become the standard in the future..so if you can still find it stock up now. Carol you may want to investigate...California enacted a trans fat ban Jan 1 2010 for restaurants and looks like Jan 1 2011 for bakeries
http://www.yumsugar.com/6842326

Looks like cake decorators will have to get creative...necessity is the mother of invention

Happy Caking
Sherry
Hello Maureen:

High ratio shortening is shortening that has substances called emulsifiers added to it. Emulsifiers help keep oil and water from separating which is good for your buttercream icing, if you use any type of shortening in your buttercream. I once used Crisco before it went "trans fat free", and switched to High Ratio Shortening ,because I could not get my buttercream to "crust" with the Crisco brand. I have not experence any further problems with my buttercream since I now use the Hi-Ratio. I hope this helps!
The first buttercream I was taught to make was with Hi-ratio shorting. Luckily there is a local supply store where I can buy in bulk. I have made different variations of it by adding cocoa for chocolate icing or peanut butter for filling. Here is the recipe I always use.

3/4 cup of hi ratio shortening
scant 1/2 cup warm water
2 lbs powder sugar
1-2 tsp clear flavoring
1-2 Tsp snow white base (I think this is what everyone else is calling bright white)

cream shortening and water slowly add in sugar 1/2 cup at a time. Add flavoring and SW base. Beat until no longer grainy (approx. 2-3 min).

Hope this helps.
Is there anyway you can tell me where I can buy or find the bright white for the icing?
I have looked all over and noone seems to carry it. Do you think I can get it at Sams?
You can order hi ratio from cake supply companies but shipping seems to be a killer. If there is a restaurant supply distributor in your area you may want to check with them to see if they carry it. I've seen prices $84-129 for 50lbs.

Vera Vargas said:
Is there anyway you can tell me where I can buy or find the bright white for the icing?
I have looked all over and noone seems to carry it. Do you think I can get it at Sams?
Wow it is amazing how helpful this site has become to me.... I took the Wilton classes and learned my buttercream reciepe from them. Recently I went to the website and saw a new reciepe with 1/2 the crisco and to use butter. It mentioned something about the Trans Fats. But I still did the old one, because it is like second nature to just do it that way. I did notice how it didn't crust. I bought premade Wilton Icing and used it over the weekend, it didn't crust. The local supply store I go to carries High Ratio Shorting, and I was wondering what that was for. Now I know. Thank you. I may have to get some next time I go and try it for my butter cream. They do carry another brand of butter cream besides Wilton that I liked, I can't think of the brand right now. But I liked it much better. I have become a fan of the premade just because of the mess making it myself has become. But I will try this now. Thanks again and I am really glad I found this site.
from baking911.com

http://www.baking911.com/pantry/fats.htm

"EMULSIFIED/HIGH RATIO SHORTENING: also known as cake, icing or high ratio shortening, can absorb more sugar and liquid than regular shortening. It gives a finer and smoother texture to cakes and help keep them moist, as well as keeps icings more stable. However, it should be used in icings and cakes where the recipe contains a large percentage of sugar. For home use, it can be found under the brand names Alpine Hi-Ratio Shortening or Sweetex."

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service