Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

I need some tips on how everyone gets their icing so smooth and their corners so sharp looking?

Views: 900

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

please tell me what swiss buttercream is. I have used buttercream made with shortening only and I have used a buttercream made with half shortening and half butter. Is either one of these called swiss buttercream?

Karen Marie said:
Judy not all icing crusts especially Swiss and Italian buttercream....so you have to practice getting the edges sharp without the luxury of rollers...IMHO I think Swiss buttercream tastes so much better than icing made with shortening.. never liked the mouthfeel...

Judy Remaly said:
I'm not sure on which website I found this, but it works great. Use a four inch foam paint roller. When the icing crusts, I roll over the icing top and sides. Since it is foam it is washable. I take the clean suds from my dish water and clean the roller and rinse with clear, hot water. I have been useing this method for about a year and have found that it works great. The individual rollers last a few months before needing to be replaced.
I do not know what Italilan buttercream is either. I would love to know this recipe.
Check out the recipe section of the forum. You'll find some there

Trisha Fiveash said:
I do not know what Italilan buttercream is either. I would love to know this recipe.
You can also use the corner fondant smoothers. They add a very nice square edge.
hot water
Here is my tutorial on How to ice a cake.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIXHFqpJK84
Swiss buttercream is a cooked meringue with butter whipped into it..it is really delicious and you can make it as rich as you want by the amount of butter...here is the recipe I use...once you get the hang of it you can make some in no time...

Swiss Buttercream
6 egg whites
12 oz granulated sugar (about 2 cups)
8-12 oz unsalted butter very soft but not melted
1 Tbsp Vanilla extract or flavor of choice
Combine egg whites and sugar in a double boiler with the water gently simmering. Do not use anymore than med low heat. Whisk until the sugar is completely dissolved and if you have a candy thermometer, bring the whites/sugar to about 155 degrees. Remove from heat and pour into the workbowl of your mixer. Whip until very light and cool to room temperature. At this stage it is hard to overwhip. This may take about 10 minutes. Add butter 2 oz at a time (half a stick) and whip for about 10 seconds then add butter in 2 oz intervals until it is all added. Whip on high until the buttercream comes together and is light and fluffy. There will be a time that you might think it is too soft but keep on whipping. Do not add the butter until it is room temperature or you will have soup…don’t rush this stage. If that happens put the buttercream in the refrigerator and cool it down, then whip…it just might come back
NOTES:
Start with the smaller amount of butter and if you prefer it richer add the remaining. You can always refrigerate the leftover butter.
To make chocolate add ¼ cup cocoa…any kind. To make it extra special add about 4 oz melted and cooled dark chocolate.
Any flavor extract can be added Fruit purees or juice or liquers or rum and brandy also. Instant coffee can be added just mix with a little warm water first then cool. Try not to add more than about ¼ cup of additional liquid.

Trisha Fiveash said:
please tell me what swiss buttercream is. I have used buttercream made with shortening only and I have used a buttercream made with half shortening and half butter. Is either one of these called swiss buttercream?

Karen Marie said:
Judy not all icing crusts especially Swiss and Italian buttercream....so you have to practice getting the edges sharp without the luxury of rollers...IMHO I think Swiss buttercream tastes so much better than icing made with shortening.. never liked the mouthfeel...

Judy Remaly said:
I'm not sure on which website I found this, but it works great. Use a four inch foam paint roller. When the icing crusts, I roll over the icing top and sides. Since it is foam it is washable. I take the clean suds from my dish water and clean the roller and rinse with clear, hot water. I have been useing this method for about a year and have found that it works great. The individual rollers last a few months before needing to be replaced.
Trish this is the Italian buttercream recipe. It is a little more complicated than the Swiss one but oh so good. Read the recipe several times before making it to get familiar with the steps. Once you do it, it is fairly easy. It is a cooked meringue so you will have to make a sugar syrup and will need a candy thermometer.

Italian Buttercream
7 egg whites room temperature
14 oz sugar (about 2 1/3 cup)
12-16 oz very soft unsalted butter to taste
1 ½ tsp vanilla
Combine sugar in a saucepan and mix in just enough cold water to make a slurry or slush. Cook sugar over medium high heat, brushing sugar crystals off the sides with a wet pastry brush. Insert a candy thermometer. When sugar syrup reached about 230 degrees F whip the whites to medium peaks. Don’t over whip the whites. When the sugar syrup reached 240 remove from heat and while the mixer is going on medium carefully pour the syrup down the side of the mixer bowl until all is incorporated. Turn mixer on high and whip until light and fluffy and the meringue has cooled to room temperature. This may take about 10-15 minutes. Add butter 2 oz at a time and whip for about 10 seconds after each addition. After all the butter is incorporated, whip on high until light and fluffy. This buttercream is cooked so you do not have to refrigerate it. If you do it will last for a long time. Bring it to room temperature and re whip before using. If you whip it cold you will have a gloppy mess.

Any flavorings can be added as well as color. Fruit purees, cocoa, melted chocolate, extracts, rum, ground nuts etc.

Trisha Fiveash said:
Thank you Karen and Deah for the recipes. I guess you can tell I am new at this and I am enjoying learning from you nice ladies. Thank you again

Karen Marie said:
Swiss buttercream is a cooked meringue with butter whipped into it..it is really delicious and you can make it as rich as you want by the amount of butter...here is the recipe I use...once you get the hang of it you can make some in no time...

Swiss Buttercream
6 egg whites
12 oz granulated sugar (about 2 cups)
8-12 oz unsalted butter very soft but not melted
1 Tbsp Vanilla extract or flavor of choice
Combine egg whites and sugar in a double boiler with the water gently simmering. Do not use anymore than med low heat. Whisk until the sugar is completely dissolved and if you have a candy thermometer, bring the whites/sugar to about 155 degrees. Remove from heat and pour into the workbowl of your mixer. Whip until very light and cool to room temperature. At this stage it is hard to overwhip. This may take about 10 minutes. Add butter 2 oz at a time (half a stick) and whip for about 10 seconds then add butter in 2 oz intervals until it is all added. Whip on high until the buttercream comes together and is light and fluffy. There will be a time that you might think it is too soft but keep on whipping. Do not add the butter until it is room temperature or you will have soup…don’t rush this stage. If that happens put the buttercream in the refrigerator and cool it down, then whip…it just might come back
NOTES:
Start with the smaller amount of butter and if you prefer it richer add the remaining. You can always refrigerate the leftover butter.
To make chocolate add ¼ cup cocoa…any kind. To make it extra special add about 4 oz melted and cooled dark chocolate.
Any flavor extract can be added Fruit purees or juice or liquers or rum and brandy also. Instant coffee can be added just mix with a little warm water first then cool. Try not to add more than about ¼ cup of additional liquid.

Trisha Fiveash said:

Karen Marie said:

Judy Remaly said:
hello edna i just look at your website is wonderfull i love it.

Edna De la Cruz said:
Here is my tutorial on How to ice a cake.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIXHFqpJK84

I use a hot wet metal spatula and make sure the spatula is clean with every swipe. Begin with the top paying no attention to the icing overlaping the edge. Then ice the sides the same (a slight wall will form at the top). Then swipe across from the top outer edge, in toward the insidie of the cake. You are turning clockwise (counter clock if you're left handed) as you go basically laying that wall down. It just takes practice, and will provide a sharp edge.

To make my icing smooth, I wait until the icing has crusted, then take a clean, unwrinkled sheet and lightly lay it over the cake. I then proceed to lightly smooth my hands over the sheet on top and around the edges of the cake. It may take a couple of times of lifting the sheet and doing the process over again, but the results are great!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service