Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Hi everyone, I live in Canada and I know our money is different, but what are you charging for your cakes?  I live in the Country and I am almost giving my cakes away because I feel bad when someone turned me down because of my price.  I know the prices I am offering are well below what others charge in the City, but people don't seem to think they should pay them.  HELP I really want business but I am losing out.

Views: 2248

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Hi all,  I just wanted to introduce myself - I am Karen J. MacFadyen from London (UK)  I am a business coach - my Twitter profile is:  Karen cakecoach/business coach/cakecoachingonline/make more money/get more cake clients/tips cake decorating business/ sell more cupcakes.   I would love any of this community who are not doing so already, to follow me  on   @karenjmacfadyen    on Twitter.    I am working on an online business coaching course especially for cake decorators - to estimate their cakes, find more clients, price with confidence and obviously make more money.   Due to be released at end June -     When I was making cakes - it was prior to my learning about business coaching - and I sympathise as often I cringed when stating the price.  I have learnt different ways to position prices now - which I teach to cake decorators who struggle to ask for a fair price for their craft.   One piece of advice is - never ever give a price off the top of your head - go home and check the costings - as an instant quote will always be under what you should charge!

I know I'm late to the discussion, but i just joined the group.  I have to agree with Meghan, i've been decorating cakes for several years as a hobby.  for the last few people have been telling me i should do this for a living, so i am finally setting up a side buisness.  I've decided to have a $250 minimum just to sort out serious clients from people who want a unique cake for a bakery/supermarket price.  I've already had to turn away aquaintences who asked for a custom cake but only wanted to pay $75, that would barely have covered my materials.  I learned years ago working as a photographer, if you set your rates too low, people wont take your work seriously.  it can be very tricky to find the balance of selling low enough to get jobs but high enough for people to value your skill.

Meghan said:

Yes and that is the reason they come to you because they know you will give, it is hard to be firm on your price and then not get the order. However if you continue to do this you won't make money. I am sure that cake will cost you more the $150.00 to complete after you figure in time hydro, delivery, supplies etc. People will always try to get it at a better price and I think because they think it is a food item that it is not worth the same as say sitting with a lawyer or taking your car to the mechanic all those things are servicec and making a wedding cake is a service so price accordingly. I doubt they would got to their lawyer and say we are getting some advice from a friend on the matter so could you charge us less for your time as we have some advice already?? Just tell them they are getting the best quality for their money.

jeri c said:
I met with a bride last night for a July wedding. They just want a small cake to cut because they are having peitit fours that are included in the price with their caterer. She said but I only want a small 2 tier cake to cut... with the tooled leather look that you do... and hand made gumpaste flowers... hmmmmm "ONLY" is translated in my terms I want it all but I ONLY want to pay you squat...
Her fiance brought op the fact that I have a minimum of $250 on all wedding cakes regardless of the size... I did this a few years ago because I had many brides expecting me to do a small cake for them to cut then they'd buy their sheet cakes from Costco to serve.... what a slap in the face! I explained to them why I have a minimum... The time it takes to make all those gumpaste flowers is the reason. I explain the time involved in making the cakes I make. They want a cake that serves 50... so I settled on $150... it will be 2 tier.... tooled leather brown fondant (I have a few of these in my portfolio) and a few gumpaste flowers.

My biggest problem is we live in such a small area and most everyone I do a cake for is a good friend so it is really hard to stick to my guns. I always say I am going to and I give in.
You are so right about that! Keep me posted @ graziasjohnson@hotmail.com thank-you:)

Karen J. MacFadyen said:
Hi all,  I just wanted to introduce myself - I am Karen J. MacFadyen from London (UK)  I am a business coach - my Twitter profile is:  Karen cakecoach/business coach/cakecoachingonline/make more money/get more cake clients/tips cake decorating business/ sell more cupcakes.   I would love any of this community who are not doing so already, to follow me  on   @karenjmacfadyen    on Twitter.    I am working on an online business coaching course especially for cake decorators - to estimate their cakes, find more clients, price with confidence and obviously make more money.   Due to be released at end June -     When I was making cakes - it was prior to my learning about business coaching - and I sympathise as often I cringed when stating the price.  I have learnt different ways to position prices now - which I teach to cake decorators who struggle to ask for a fair price for their craft.   One piece of advice is - never ever give a price off the top of your head - go home and check the costings - as an instant quote will always be under what you should charge!
I like that . Then if you buy decorations add that to the price. I think I am going to try this myself.. Thank you

Meghan said:
I usually figure out the cost of the cake inc the box and board and multiply it by 3

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service