.........It evaporates very quickly so no alcohol is left behind............
This is not totally true. For yrs we had been told that *ALL* alcohol evaporates in cooking/baking but more recent test show that only about 30-50% does :( For someone who is an alcoholic this can be a major problem. Yes, *most* of it will evaporate but there will be some left.
As for children eating it.........I would not be the least bit concerned as the amount there is so little:)
Since there is another way to solve this problem I suggest we all use it. (the oil/shortening rubdown.)