Everything used in the baking and sugar craft industry has to be food grade,so whether it is cake tins cutters,colors,packaging,foil,tools,everything including any kind of decoration has to be food grade,yet I have a few baking tins that will leave a black residue on the cakes if I don't line my tins,I've been told that this happens when food grade metal is not being used.I have imported very expensive blossom plunger cutters that I don't use anymore since it also bleeds this blackness onto the paste as well as the surface used to roll the paste onto,so what's up with that?Are we slowly poisoning people?what exactly is that blackness that comes off this metal?How much of it can we consume before it becomes something we have to worry about?
Cake decorating has changed so much over years,you won't find cakes decorated anymore with those heavy dead looking sugar flowers,cakes are now decorated with fresh flowers,flower picks should be used but not many use them and flowers are just pushed directly into the cake,many different flowers are now used to decorate cakes with,if the bride has tulips in her wedding well then tulips are used,if she's having lilies then lilies are used,whatever the bride wants the bride gets!I wonder if people know that many of the flowers used to decorate cakes with are poisonous... A very well known bakery in Cape Town had this to say about sugar flowers,"Life is to short to make sugar flowers" I found a list of flowers that should not be used to decorate cakes with,I can only say I was shocked to see that most of the flowers on the list are used by just about everyone!I don't like using fresh flowers but if a client insist I will, only after explaining to them that its not safe and if they still want fresh flowers well then that's that!
Here is the article I found on this topic,the author Tombi Peck a South African now living in the U.K. and also one of the founders of the British Sugarcraft Guild.
The following is an excerpt from an article written by Tombi Peck - editor of The British Sugarcraft News
The trigger for this article was a letter asking if there was a list of poisonous flowers available. Tombi says that after much research she compiled a list which was too lengthy to print in full so she chose to include only those plants and flowers which have appeared in sugarcraft books over the past few years or were so highly toxic they needed to be on the list. If a bride is looking for ideas in a sugarcraft book [but is wanting fresh flowers] she may think that because they have been done in sugar they are non-toxic, which simply isn’t the case.
During her research Tombi spoke to John Quai Hoi, a chef and florist from Australia. He pointed out that flowers grown commercially are habitually sprayed with nasty pesticides to rid them of things which might eat them or kill diseases. These chemicals may also be hazardous to people if in contact with icing.
The writer of the original letter asking about poisonous flowers also did some research herself and was told by a florist that although you would think that roses were safer than other fresh flowers, lilac roses attract bugs like a magnet. To counteract this problem the growers spray the roses very liberally with insecticide. This is why lilac roses are softer than other colours.