Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

which cake mix brand is better? duncan hines? betty crocker? pillsbury?

Hey I have to make a half sheet cake this coming week and I was needing some opinions on which cake brand is better? like which is more tastier and moist and just all around Delicious! =) and holds butter cream frosting as well as fondant.

please let me know what you think =)

Thanks

Kelsey Thornton

Views: 20133

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have not tried the cupcake box mix. I like to just use my basic cake recipes for cupcakes.

Oh! I left out the liquid in the recipe! I use 1 1/3 cup of cooled brewed coffee with the other ingredients.

(Slaps head) I feel like an idiot for leaving that out! Doh!
Yes there is...I baked one yesterday. Not only is there bad cake, there is really, really bad cake. :o( Can't really explain what happend but it was bad and it was all over the inside of my oven. *sigh*

Sherry Qualls said:
Well seriously Kelsey...is there such a thing as bad cake???? (cheesy grin). I have used them all and I can't say there is really a difference. I usually buy what's on sale that week.
Are these ingredients listed, in addition to the ones called for in the directions on the box?

Melissa said:
I use Duncan Hines when I do not bake from a scratch recipe. I use the WASC basic recipe to start with and just switch up the flavors. For a really good chocolate cake, use the WASC base with DH triple fudge cake and use room temperature brewed coffee instead of the water. I also add about 2 tbls. of dark cocoa to the mix.
So, it ends up being
1 mix
1cup of flour
1 cup of sugar
3/4 tsp salt
2tbls cocoa
2tbls vegetable oil
2tsp vanilla extract
1 cup sour cream
3 eggs

I hope this helps!
Disregard the box directions completely. Don't forget the 1 1/3 cup of of liquid. If I am making chocolate I use coffee. If I am using another flavor of mix then I just use water. I mix all of the dry ingredients together and then mix all of the wet ingredients together in a separate bowl. Then combine the two. The WASC recipe is similiar, but double the amount of ingredients. The WASC recipe makes a lot of cake!
Here is the link to the recipe for WASC. http://www.recipezaar.com/White-Almond-Sour-Cream-Wedding-Cake-69630
I never bother with just using egg whites. I prefer to use the whole eggs (6 of them).
thank u so much for this new recipe! and I never even thought to add coffee to a choc. cake! I am soooo trying this!! im siked to c if mine tastes as good as urs!

thank u again! =) i will let u know how it goes!

Melissa said:
Disregard the box directions completely. Don't forget the 1 1/3 cup of of liquid. If I am making chocolate I use coffee. If I am using another flavor of mix then I just use water. I mix all of the dry ingredients together and then mix all of the wet ingredients together in a separate bowl. Then combine the two. The WASC recipe is similiar, but double the amount of ingredients. The WASC recipe makes a lot of cake!
Here is the link to the recipe for WASC. http://www.recipezaar.com/White-Almond-Sour-Cream-Wedding-Cake-69630
I never bother with just using egg whites. I prefer to use the whole eggs (6 of them).
I am a Betty fan myself.... just like the flavors better for some reason! Hey Melissa! The WASC recipe is a staple in my kitchen! I use it for everything. Makes the best cake ever.
Thank you so much...I'm going to try this recipe later this week.
Duncan Hines - hands down!
I don't agree Dena. I do 3d cakes, stacked cakes, fondant, buttercream, poured ganache, you name it and it works wonderfully. They even have an alternate recipe on the box for use with decorated cakes, but I don't even bother with that. My customers love my cakes and I have a moist cake tip that I had published in Cooking Pleasures Magazine in 2004. It has nothing to do with any additions and works equally well on scratch cakes as well as boxed cakes.

Dena Bryngelson said:
I would like to argue about my experiences with D-H brand cake mix not working well for cakes with fondant or sculpting, but just the fact that I have not met ANY cake decorator that makes cakes like mine who use that particular brand of cake mix is enough to keep me from buying it. D-H brand used to be pushed by Wilton Industries and they stopped that...wonder why? Maybe because it doesn't hold up well to the abuse that spreading something thicker than whipped cream puts the cake through? I am not brand loyal. There are about 4 brands of cake mix that I think will work okay...but none that you buy on the shelf are much more than junk unless you modify the recipe.
if i have to use a box mix i like, the most is pillsbury were i live there on store so if there out i go to duncan hines , then use betty crocker i love them all my my best i have to say is pillsbury !!!!
In our area Safeway has the Betty Crocker mixes on sale this week for 68 cents each!!!!!!
OK Angela, now you've piqued my interest! Will you share again (2004 was a long time ago) your tip for making moist cakes, box mix or otherwise? I would really appreciate it. Sometimes when I'm making cakes dense enough for all the fondant & decorations, they seem a little too dense & sometimes a bit dry. I'm looking for the best of all worlds. Taste, moistness & strength! Can I have it all?

Angela Wright Pineda Kyle said:
I don't agree Dena. I do 3d cakes, stacked cakes, fondant, buttercream, poured ganache, you name it and it works wonderfully. They even have an alternate recipe on the box for use with decorated cakes, but I don't even bother with that. My customers love my cakes and I have a moist cake tip that I had published in Cooking Pleasures Magazine in 2004. It has nothing to do with any additions and works equally well on scratch cakes as well as boxed cakes.

Dena Bryngelson said:
I would like to argue about my experiences with D-H brand cake mix not working well for cakes with fondant or sculpting, but just the fact that I have not met ANY cake decorator that makes cakes like mine who use that particular brand of cake mix is enough to keep me from buying it. D-H brand used to be pushed by Wilton Industries and they stopped that...wonder why? Maybe because it doesn't hold up well to the abuse that spreading something thicker than whipped cream puts the cake through? I am not brand loyal. There are about 4 brands of cake mix that I think will work okay...but none that you buy on the shelf are much more than junk unless you modify the recipe.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service