Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Hello, thought a group for English cake makers and deorators would be a good idea so wherever you are join me in discussion, thoughts, and musings about cake and cake toppers 

Views: 256

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Angela, it's great to have you in the group.
Why did you move to Canada? I live in France been here for ten years I don't make cakes but I do make cake crown toppers please visit my site when you have a moment
www.lebigkiss.com.
Tanya
Hi Tanya,

Thanks for the welcome. You have a great website - I'm pretty sure I've seen some of your amazing work on cakes on the BSG :o)

We chose Canada as we both are huge ice hockey fans plus we really like the cold winters and hot summers that they have. It took over 3 years to get our permanent residency visas through as its such a popular country to move to. Still, we feel very lucky to finally be here and are enjoying every minute of it. The cake world over here is quite different to the UK - very Wilton based here so I'm glad that I shipped all of my cake tools & equipment over with me.

Have a lovely weekend everyone.
hi all
i currently live in dunstable, bedfordshire. i have always loved baking, about 5v years ago my friend got left in the lurch with no wedding cake so i offered to have a go and i made her a 3 tier cake, all decorations were bought at the time, but it made me think that i would love to have a go at cake decorating as a hobby.
the next one i did was my sisters wedding cake, again 3 tiers with sprays of suger flowers that a friend taught me how to make, have now made a few different cakes for friends and family (one day i might actually charge someone for the work).
would love to spend more time decorating but i'm a nurse be other trade and never seem to have much time, especially since i now have a little one to look after as well
Hi Angela, thanks for your comment about my work, can you tell me what the "bsg"is? (or am I being dim!?)
Ice hokey, I assume you skate yourselves even if you don't play or do you? Where are you living at the moment? sorry lots of questions...........
speak soon
Tanya

Angela said:
Hi Tanya,

Thanks for the welcome. You have a great website - I'm pretty sure I've seen some of your amazing work on cakes on the BSG :o)

We chose Canada as we both are huge ice hockey fans plus we really like the cold winters and hot summers that they have. It took over 3 years to get our permanent residency visas through as its such a popular country to move to. Still, we feel very lucky to finally be here and are enjoying every minute of it. The cake world over here is quite different to the UK - very Wilton based here so I'm glad that I shipped all of my cake tools & equipment over with me.

Have a lovely weekend everyone.
Hi Tanya,

BSG is the British Sugarcraft Guild. I've been a member for 3 years and their forum is huge! I noticed that one of your crowns was in an article in the recent Squires 'cakes & sugarcraft' magazine. Did you know it was going to be in there? It was used as a topper for a cake and looked amazing.

The truth is I can hardly skate. Been trying for years and bought some new skates before Christmas to try out on the outdoor rinks here but ended up not going much as it was so cold, lol. We live in a city called Barrie which is 45 mins north of Toronto. Beautiful part of Ontario with lots of lakes and countryside. I'm really looking forward to our first summer here. Spring has been lovely so far.

Have a great week everyone,
Ang
Hi Angela, yes I now know what you mean!!! the topper you refer to is in the latest cakes and sugarcraft the photo is also it is on this site in "my photos" at least I think that's the one you are reffering to ? and yes I did know it was going to be in there it should have been in last August but Helen penman was really busy so it was delayed, do you know her work? I have done several cakes with her.
I used to ice skate many moons ago........in Bradford west yorkshire, Ice hokey is very fast and a bit scary! It's great to hear you are enjoying your new life good for you taking the plunge nothing ventured etc.
I think you will enjoy this site so friendly and growing! I think i was member 125 or something like that, the English group is also growing although I started it I seem to be the only topper maker ( apart from all the lovely toppers cake makers do) I don't makes cakes at all ! it would be good to discuss toppers more perhaps you have a thought to share about toppers in general?
must off glue drying.
tanya

Angela said:
Hi Tanya,

BSG is the British Sugarcraft Guild. I've been a member for 3 years and their forum is huge! I noticed that one of your crowns was in an article in the recent Squires 'cakes & sugarcraft' magazine. Did you know it was going to be in there? It was used as a topper for a cake and looked amazing.

The truth is I can hardly skate. Been trying for years and bought some new skates before Christmas to try out on the outdoor rinks here but ended up not going much as it was so cold, lol. We live in a city called Barrie which is 45 mins north of Toronto. Beautiful part of Ontario with lots of lakes and countryside. I'm really looking forward to our first summer here. Spring has been lovely so far.

Have a great week everyone,
Ang
Well I managed to survive my brothers wedding cake! In the end I gave up on doing realistic flowerpaste roses and just made them from modelling paste but it still took me three days to make them all. I made them in advance because I didn't want to bake the cakes that early and I was worried about how long they'd take to make. I found them quite hard to arrange because they were hard and there was no give - felt a bit like doing a jigsaw, trying to find roses that would fit around all the others without leaving too big a hole! Now I just have to wait and see what they think of it...

Ann Simerson Williams said:
hey Lilly,
"american" Ann here... For the roses, you might want to check into Carol Haycox's (from FMM) short DVD called "Rose and Carnation spray". She uses a five petal cutter and her instruction is really easy follow and very helpful. The DVD is only about 20 minutes long and is sold on FMMsugarcraft.com for only 2.81gbp. Look under their miscellaneous products, page two to find it.

Lilly Manning said:
Thanks Ann, I had a look but there isn't the right colour - they want deep red to match the bridesmaid dresses. Fun!!!!!
Hi Lilly, the cake is beautiful,................. well done.
Tanya

Lilly Manning said:
Well I managed to survive my brothers wedding cake! In the end I gave up on doing realistic flowerpaste roses and just made them from modelling paste but it still took me three days to make them all. I made them in advance because I didn't want to bake the cakes that early and I was worried about how long they'd take to make. I found them quite hard to arrange because they were hard and there was no give - felt a bit like doing a jigsaw, trying to find roses that would fit around all the others without leaving too big a hole! Now I just have to wait and see what they think of it...

Ann Simerson Williams said:
hey Lilly,
"american" Ann here... For the roses, you might want to check into Carol Haycox's (from FMM) short DVD called "Rose and Carnation spray". She uses a five petal cutter and her instruction is really easy follow and very helpful. The DVD is only about 20 minutes long and is sold on FMMsugarcraft.com for only 2.81gbp. Look under their miscellaneous products, page two to find it.

Lilly Manning said:
Thanks Ann, I had a look but there isn't the right colour - they want deep red to match the bridesmaid dresses. Fun!!!!!
Hello every one,im new to baking I was interested in baking,I have a lot to learn im hoping to pick up a lot from all of you,i would dearly love to bake a sponge cake for my sons birthday,iv had this reciepefor yrs but it never went right for me any help woud be great
12 oz sr flour
12 oz caster sugar
12 oz marg
3 eggs size 3.

how long would it have to bake for,also what gas no will i use if anyone can adivise me i would be really grateful,meant to say im Anne i was born in glasgow and moved to london 40yrs ago i really hope to learn from here thank you.
Hi, I'm Liza and i make novelty birthday cakes in my spare time mostly for family and friends. I live on the Isle of Man with my 3 kids and work 30 hrs a week so don't have alot of time. just made a cake for my boss for the fire station this weekend and he gave me today off knowing that i stayed up til 4.30 and 5.30am 2 nights running to get it done. I enjoy the decorating side of making the cakes but am not too keen on cooking the cake or colouring the icing! lol

Amyway, hope to talk to you all soon x
Hello les welcome,do hope you will enjoy and add to the discussions look forward to it.

All very quiet on the uk front a while, are we all still alive?, snowed in? or like me just panicking about how little time i've got to finish the 6 christmas cakes i've got on the go and working full time aaaaarrrgh! why do I put myself through this

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service