Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

I am hoping someone on this site can help me out.  A few weeks ago there was a video on here demonstrating a clear mat for rolling out fondant...I believe the price was $15.99.  I have searched this site and so far am having no luck.  I did write down the phone number but am afraid I've lost it.

Thank you all in advance.

Sharon

Views: 7588

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's weird Glenda

I have wiped mine may times, but never use paper towels as that has lint on it. Once that lint gets on there, it is almost impossible to get off.  I actually roll mine up with a lint free linen t-towel in between.

Glenda Mendello said:

TIP:: I first used the mat and had great results. I seasoned it used it then rolled it up (did not wipe). I did this about 20 times. After watching the video on how to properly care for and store on the sweetwise site I decided to wipe it with a dry paper towel and I think this is where things went wrong. It seems after I did this it started warping. This resulted in uneven warped fondant when rolled out. I contacted sweetwise by email about a month ago to see if this could have caused the problem but have not gotten a response. Just an fyi in case you are thinking about wiping down your mat however I cannot say for sure that the wiping down caused it since I had also put alot of pressure on it with my rolling pin. Anyone else have this problem? 

Glenda,

When did ou purchase your mat?

I bought one of the original mats and it did the same thing. The paper towel had nothing to do with it. It's most likely the way you are rolling on the mat in conjunction with it's {the Mat} thickness. When you roll out, you are putting lots of pressure on the mat, stretching it out. If it makes sense, try not to "dig into" the mat when you roll out your fondant. Let the roller do the work, by pressing down, rolling forward. If press more diagonal, pushing into your thick fondant & mat that's where the stretching most likely happens.

Since I ordered my 1st mat they have since upped the thickness of the vinyl. I ordered a new one and changed my rolling habits and the second one has been great. I am very surprised that they have not gotten back to you, I always had speedy responses. I would give their customer service a call and explain your situation. Unfortunately i deleted my email conversations/direct email address with them, I think I dealt with a guy named Tom....or Jon... BUT when I did talk with them I explained how I had not used the mat that long and i did feel it was not right that it had disfigured so quickly. I asked if they would be willing to discount the purchase of the new mat at all, and they did give me a $5 credit... its not much but, being at the time I really had no idea what was the real cause...it was fair ;-)  

Hope this helps!

June Kowalczyk said:

That's weird Glenda

I have wiped mine may times, but never use paper towels as that has lint on it. Once that lint gets on there, it is almost impossible to get off.  I actually roll mine up with a lint free linen t-towel in between.

Glenda Mendello said:

TIP:: I first used the mat and had great results. I seasoned it used it then rolled it up (did not wipe). I did this about 20 times. After watching the video on how to properly care for and store on the sweetwise site I decided to wipe it with a dry paper towel and I think this is where things went wrong. It seems after I did this it started warping. This resulted in uneven warped fondant when rolled out. I contacted sweetwise by email about a month ago to see if this could have caused the problem but have not gotten a response. Just an fyi in case you are thinking about wiping down your mat however I cannot say for sure that the wiping down caused it since I had also put alot of pressure on it with my rolling pin. Anyone else have this problem? 

I have not read all the posts here but this mat looks like it had some sort of heat damage to it. 

Thanks for the reply June I do believe it was from extra pressure since I was using alot more body weight (I stood on a stool so I could use all the weight from my waist up) I did this for 2 reasons: less neck and shoulder soreness and to do roll it out quickly. I am using a pretty good roller its wood about 4" circumfrence and  25" long handle to handle, 3 lb 10 oz.  I bought my mat about 4 months ago and I do believe there is a correllation between the time I switched my rolling technique and when the mat started to warp. 

Jeri if it was heat damage it came from my quick rolling and pressure. hahaha ;).

Whoa Glenda

You must have superman arms...he! he!

I do think it was the added pressure that caused the warping.  :o(  I use to have to stand on a chair & roll hard, or ask my 6' 1" hubby to help. But with the Mat, after every 2 rolls, I rotate the Mat, and I have no problem with very large pieces. SOooo, Miss Glenda, no need to apply so much pressure, especially with such a heavy duty roller. Relax...and Savvvvve yourself  :o)   My  gripe about the Mat is that the only place I have enough room to use it is my kitchen island/breakfast area.  I have a Ikea island in my basement where I do all my cake stuff, but it is up against a wall, so the Mat doesn't fit.

I love the mat works great. the only fondant that is not compatible with the mat is fondariffic. its sticks really bad because its so soft. but works great with all others

I will practice Yoga breathing as I roll out the fondant on my new mat when I get one. I have been doing without it fine but it is nice knowing what you are rolling out is clean. Not all is lost I have been using the mat for storing gumpaste/fondant decorations while I am working on things so it still working for me in that sense.

hi sharon i got my mat a few weeks ago after getting an order for a cake that was nearly 2 foot long and was i panicking about trying to lift that much sugarpaste on a rolling pin, i had seen the mat on here and eventually found a uk supplier, i did find it quite hard to roll that much icing between the 2 sheets as i have an old shoulder injury but thanks to my partner got it done, and whoopeee it makes lfe soooo much easier a doddle to use even first time and got my icing really smooth even on a sponge based cake rather than my usual rich fruit cake.

That is marvelous... I will check in Walmart from here ...i hope i have luck, if not i will need to buy in the web.

i was saw in the web and I like because is clear and you can see everything the mat cover and after the comment definitely will be the next stuff i will buy.

Heather Sanders said:

Hi Guys,

Writing from Canada. Found the mat at Walmart (in the scrapbooking section) for $10.00.

Lucky you Heather
Here in Ontario, I have never seen the Mat in Wal Mart. I never checked the scrapbooking section tho. Will have to go their & look. :0)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service