Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

HOPE ALL ON CWB have a happy, healthy Thanksgiving. I am thankful for all my friends. I may never meet many in person, but I do feel I know each 1 of you. You are a part of my life and my BESTIES !! LOVE YAZ ALL

Views: 691

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Gali, I am so, so sorry!  My heart hurts for you and all of your family.  Close your eyes and feel my arms around you giving you a warm hug.

art deco cakes by galidink said:

sorry could not get on line 2day my elx just went back on , had some bad new's 2day , found out my brother past away at his kitchen table yesterday ,while waiting for his daughter to pick him up for thanksgiving dinner ! : (

Hi Betty!  The eating was fantastic and I am glad it will not happen again until next year!  No shopping for me.  When I was young, I didn't have the money to buy the things I wanted, now I don't want anything...except cake toys :o)  I agree with you about the banana pudding, Betty.  It was the most requested dish for lunches when I was still working.  I was the only person that made real banana pudding with eggs, milk, sugar, flour, vanilla, vanilla wafers and bananas.  Gali, something is wrong with you, Honey!  Banana pudding is wonderful! 

Betty said:

Hi everyone...Hope you had a great "eating day". Anyone going shopping??? not me... I'm cooking wedding cake for tomorrow. Gali ..no banana pudding??? ..that's funny, thought everyone liked BP...Pound cakes are good for using up eggs, at least 6 at a time in my recipe. OOOXX :)

thank you Sandra , hugs do help ! I am felling the hugs from all , love ya !

Sandra Smiley said:

Gali, I am so, so sorry!  My heart hurts for you and all of your family.  Close your eyes and feel my arms around you giving you a warm hug.

sorry could not get on line 2day my elx just went back on , had some bad new's 2day , found out my brother past away at his kitchen table yesterday ,while waiting for his daughter to pick him up for thanksgiving dinner ! : (

Here you go Gali.....This recipe is exactly as written.  Be sure to see my notes at the bottom.

QUICHE LORRAINE

1 unbaked 9-inch quiche shell or pastry shell

1 pound bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces

1/4 cup chopped green onions

2 cups (1/2 pound) shredded Swiss cheese, divided

6 eggs, beaten

1 cup whipping cream (unwhipped)

1/2 teaspoon salt

Dash of cayenne pepper

Dash of white pepper

1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Ground nutmeg

Prick bottom and sides of quiche shell with a fork; bake at 425 degrees for 6 to 8 minutes.  Set aside.

Saute bacon and onion in a skillet until browned; drain well, and sprinkle evenly in pastry shell.  Sprinkle with 1 cup cheese and set aside.

Combine eggs, whipping cream, salt, pepper, and 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg; mix well.  Pour over cheese layer and top with remaining cheese.  Sprinkle lightly with nutmeg.  Bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 55 minutes or until set.  Yield:  about 6 to 8 servings.

Recipe by Mrs. Carter Scott of Roswell, Georgia - Published in Southern Living 1979 Annual Recipes

NOTES:  If you do not have a quiche dish, a pie pan works fine.  It will make a really full standard pie pan, but not quite enough for a deep dish pie pan.

I made this recipe as written for many years but have found that it is easier and better with these changes.  Cook bacon and drain.  I chop up my bacon and green onions together in the food processor.  I also chop the Swiss cheese in the food processor.  Beat the eggs in a large bowl, then add the cream, bacon, onions, cheese and spices, mix together and pour into the precooked pastry shell.  Sprinkle the top with nutmeg and cayenne pepper before baking.  Bake as directed.  We prefer the flavor when the ingredients are incorporated rather than layered.

YES RECIPES WOULD BE NICE thank you Sandra ! but I wont touch banana pudding ! I love a nice banana , but just cant get  the pudding in my mouth , lol ! !
Sandra Smiley said:

I use so many eggs that I need part of your chickens, Gali!  I made two dozen deviled eggs for Thanksgiving, put four hard boiled eggs in the giblet gravy and I don't even know how many others...used about 2-1/2 dozen for just that meal.

Quiche is always a great way to use a lot of eggs.  My favorite is Quiche Lorraine...made with bacon and Swiss cheese.  I will provide the recipe, if you like.  Banana pudding uses a bunch of eggs, too!

yup I would pass bye the chocolate pie for pumpkin ,, I don't mind the chamomile or the fennel , in very tiny amounts ! I am not good with making a pie crust , ; ( but I will keep trying , , my chicken are giving so many eggs , I have to start giving them away and making curds ! 2 dz in 2 days , yikes !!! better get working on something !!! ANY IDEA'S ??
Sandra Smiley said:

I have spent half of my life in a dentist chair and I have never associated the scent of cloves with the dentist???  And, like Gali, I LOVE cloves and all spices except camomile and fennel, which I sincerely detest.  For me, there is never too much spice in anything and rarely too much sugar.  I love chocolate but would choose something spicy every time, given a choice.

lol Katy ! yes dentist,, but you can over due them , I do love that , sorry , I know you don't do thanksgiving , but hope you could smell and taste some of our fixings ! so yummy ! :p Na na na na naaaa

Boy, you got some great buys, June!  That could even tempt me and HATE shopping LOL.

June Kowalczyk said:

Yup.....we had Black Friday here in Canada too. Didn't go shopping at brick & mortar or online stores. Went to Samko toy warehouse with a friend. They come to our area for 3 days this time every year. Got amazing gifts..$3, $6....etc. So all the children on my list are taken care of....including Hudson. Talking ELMO....usually $30....got it for $19!!!

thank you Sandra ! I did some shopping on line ! need a few more things ! but just about finished !

Well Sandra
We were in and out of the warehouse in under a hour...that was the good part. Bad part was there was a mud slide on the major highway we take to go home. A main water pipe that runs under the mountain to the highway burst....mud, trees, rocks, water gushing all over the highway. Obviously, they closed it . I've never seen that in my lifetime. So we had to take a alternate route home, but so did everybody else. Then I got home, and the hot water pipe burst in my main floor laundry room....water gushed into my hallway , into the vents and poured into my basement. Thank goodness I was able to shut off the hot water valve under the laundry room sink. Big mop up, but basement isn't finished, so no carpet or furniture. I moved boxes of my son's stuff, that's stored and fortunately, no damage.

My gosh, June!  You must have had a water curse put on you!  Glad you didn't sustain any damage, anyway.  We have a bit of a water curse on us, as well.  The refrigerator has a little tiny hose that goes to the water dispenser to break and leaked water up under the hardwood...just a little at a time for a while.  We do not even know how long it has been leaking, but yesterday it decided to leak a lot more, which allowed us to find the leak.  We just turned off the water to the water dispenser.  Mike has looked all over creation trying to find a replacement, which we are told is no longer made (frig is not that old!) so he is going to have to buy a whole valve which costs $75.00.  He is totally pissed, but I expected it.  The hardwood is slightly buckled so I guess we have to decide whether or not to replace that section.  We do have extra boards from the original installation.  Oh well, it could have been worse for both of us, I guess.

June Kowalczyk said:

Well Sandra
We were in and out of the warehouse in under a hour...that was the good part. Bad part was there was a mud slide on the major highway we take to go home. A main water pipe that runs under the mountain to the highway burst....mud, trees, rocks, water gushing all over the highway. Obviously, they closed it . I've never seen that in my lifetime. So we had to take a alternate route home, but so did everybody else. Then I got home, and the hot water pipe burst in my main floor laundry room....water gushed into my hallway , into the vents and poured into my basement. Thank goodness I was able to shut off the hot water valve under the laundry room sink. Big mop up, but basement isn't finished, so no carpet or furniture. I moved boxes of my son's stuff, that's stored and fortunately, no damage.

I am like you, Gali....I love eBay!

thank you Sandra ! I did some shopping on line ! need a few more things ! but just about finished !

So you've had issues too...good you have some leftover hardwood...bad your part cost $75. I've had trouble lately with both my stove & fridge, both highly rated, as we always do our homework. Both only 4 1/2 yrs old. Ovens steam clean works, but not self clean...heats up, then whole stove shuts down after a hour. The fridge is leaking water under the crispers. Not a biggie, but annoying. Have to keep a cloth there to absorb the water, change every day. I googled the leak, and lo & behold, a consistent problem with this make. Found a YouTube video on how to fix. Steve has to take everything out of the fridge, including racks. Unscrew the back panel of the fridge......very carefully, to get to the condenser. Apparently water gets frozen in a trough under the condenser, where excess water flows out. . You have to pour hot water to remove ice....big pain. You'd think if was a ongoing problem, a design flaw, they would have addressed it. My first stove & fridge were scratch & dent, but we're work horses. Had them 20 yrs....got rid of them as we were renovated our kitchen.

LOL - don't you long for the good old days when things were well built!  I have a 7 quart KitchenAid mixer - mega bucks - which died the first time I made fondant.  KitchenAid did replace it promptly, including the shipping both ways, but I am still scared to use the replacement.  I have made fondant, bread and gum paste in it and, so far, it is doing fine.  I had a little 4 or 5 quart, the smallest, least expensive KitchenAid made, for years and years and worked the little fellow to death.  It was blowing a little oil, but still worked great.  I gave it to my niece and it will probably outlast my new one.

My washer and dryer are 35 years old, Maytag.  The are still working their hearts out and I dread the day I have to replace them.

Maytag use to be good....no more. Got bought out by Inglis. And then Inglis got bought out. Don't know who owns Maytag now. So many of the original great companies have changed hands so many times. We have a LG washer/dryer.....10 yrs...still going strong...fingers crossed it lasts at least another 10 + yrs. our fridge/stove/micro are Samsung....not impressed. And there customer service stinks.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service