Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Views: 870

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha... You make my day!!  THANK YOU!!!!
art deco cakes by galidink said:

thank you so much Bonnie , wow who knew ! ! fantastic idea !way to go bonnie !

cool thank you Bonnie !that's awesome !

very interesting info.  Must do some research and see what I get over here!

ha!  well what do you know?  Tesco do exactly this!  4 flavours - Grape, Cherry, Black Cherry and Tropical Punch and all in the unsweetened version.  What a great way to colour and flavour into your fondant.  This I have got to try.

you share so many awesome tips , we love cakers like you ;xxx

Bonnie Willey said:

Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha... You make my day!!  THANK YOU!!!!

I've used jello powders to colour/flavour bc icing, but never thought about using to colour fondant. Good idea....and cheap too!! Thanks Bonnie.

Welcome back June!  Are you still in Halifax with the little tyke?  I bet Jello powder would taste even better than Kool-aid! lol

Bonnie Willey said:

Morning Katy, here is a pic of some of the flavors in pks.  They are about $1 each, & will make a 2 quart pitcher of drink.  They have very vivid colors, and excellent flavors.  This is the original brand, they come under other names, but all work.  You probably have something similar over yonder.  I only use a small amt. at a time, so they are quite cost effective for me.  Best of all is the ease, and less mess involved, using them.  I grease my hands before kneading in the color, and get no stains on them.  I have gloves, but hardly ever have to wear them.  BUT, if the drink itself is spilled, it WILL stain carpet.

Hi Gail!  I do use the sugar free which just happens to be caffeine free.  Caffeine gives me PAC's, which by themselves are no big deal, I just don't like the way they feel.  I get enough of that from my RBBB. lol

I wonder if this would work with butter cream????

I think so Betty.  June said she uses jello powder for bc so I assume this would too.  Would it make the bc grainy or does it dissolve?

YUP!  I used it for my purple 'scarey?' background on my Halloween cake, covered in purple buttercream!
(remember the one that the sides were sliding down on from the bumpy ride, from my Wilton class in Salisbury, home, on a very hot October 31st?!)lol  Whenever possible, like with buttercream, dissolve it in a little liquid first.  Or it can be dissolved & added when initially making the fondant, if you are only going for the one color.  But it will work just being kneaded in when working with fondant.  I let it sit overnight to finish incorporating, them knead it some more, just to get all the little, itty-bitty pieces worked in.  Often thought of grinding it finer with my mortar & pestle, but am just too lazy.  Probably would save time in the long run though, for coloring just the amount you will need only.

I do tend to go on & on, sorry, but do hope this helps.

Betty said:

I wonder if this would work with butter cream????

IF YOU ADDT TO WARMED -UP KARO , IT SHOULD DISSOLVE RIGHT ?

Yes. It will dissolve in anything, and it doesn't take much either! lol

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service