Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

How do I make my frosting look like straw?
Has anyone made a cake that resembles a straw bale?

Views: 10082

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I couldn't find you on FB :(.  Thanks soooooo much for posting that.  How large is the hay bale?
The hay bale is the 12x18 wilton pan & it is 4 layers. I put a cardboard seperator in the middle for support. To answer your earlier question, yes it is just scored with a pick. I used a 2 or 3 inch plastic hair pick you get from the dollar store.    
Thanks so much for all of your direction with this.  I am doing a wedding cake for an upscale farm wedding.  The couple is being married under a tree that is centuries old, where many family members have exchanged vows.  I am placing a small 3-tiered wedding cake on top of the hay bale with fondant bandanas underneath. Also on the bale will be a prize-winning" pie with several other "pies" on the "floor" that the bale is on. This cake is for 200 and the "pie" idea came after brainstorming knowing I needed more cake.  I didn't want to just do a plain sheet for "extras".  Thanks again!
Man, I hope you post a picture! It sounds so adorable, and I can't wait to see it!
Linda, little do you know that one sentence has me feeling more positive about where my creativity takes me.  Delphinium, hydrangea, sunflowers, barbed wire, (yes barbed wire), bandanas and hypericum are done.  Tomorrow there are daisies, spray and regular roses, curly willow, golden aster and wheat to make.  Any suggestions on how to make golden aster (solidago)?  Also, I am not sure how I will be "putting together" the delph blooms... All ideas are so appreciated.
My mind is bursting with colors galore just at the description! You have GOT to post a picture once it's done. Making flowers is not one of my strong points (In other words, I stink) so I wouldn't be a good one to give directions on that. Your composition has my mind swimming! I'm from farm country so I just can't wait to see your creation! My best friend's 40th wedding anniversary is coming up and I need inspiration to go on for her and her hubby's party. She lives on a farm/ranch and her passion is horses. When do you have to have the cake done? I hope I see it before I have to make hers
The wedding is this Saturday.  Their colors are blue and yellow, so we are, as well as the florist, using different hues of yellows and blues.  Of course the pie on the hay bale will have a heart shape top of crust with the bride and grooms name and a blue ribbon.  I will definitely post pics, hopefully this works out...spatulas crossed.  lol.  Our goal is to have the hay bale looking as tight as Gayl's.  Out of some of the hay bale cakes I have seen online, hers definitely takes the cake... sorry, had to say it. I will keep you posted.  My bestie and I are working hard on this.  We lost a week due to Irene, we were without power for a week, my crucial time for making my flowers, without feeling hurried and pressured. If it wasn't for my pal Susan... we got soooo much done today and because of her talents we are on schedule. :)  I have seen several cakes online where people have done saddles and bales, etc... but may be if you did a kinda "country harvest fair" thing with "pies" and "mason jars of lemonade" on a checkered tablecloth over a hay bale and fall leaves, as if they fell from the trees... just a thought.  This is a great time of year to get a hay bale at most craft stores if you didn't want to make one out of cake.  Sorry I digress... OMG!  I just saw your pics.  YOU are amazing!  I bow down to you.  How did you get the wood grain in the flower basket bday cake pic? Is that fondant I want to do a barn floor under the hay bale, I am thinking fondant... suggestions?
Actually, Jan, that was not a good wood grain. It was my first try doing it. I am working on another cake (dummy) this week where I have made another wood grain and it looks unbelievable. My husband is a woodcrafter and when he came home last night and saw the wood, he asked me if I had gotten a piece of wood from his garage for the base. It isn't wood. It is fondant. Here is what I did, and I will post pictures as soon as I get the cake done. I took several long thin rolls of white, yellow, pumpkin color orange, tan and black and rolled them out on a plexiglass 'board' until they were fairly thin. Then I sliced the sheet in 2 or 3 inch strips and turned every other one in the opposite direction  and placed them back beside where they were to begin with. Then I rolled and rolled until the fondant covered the entire plexiglass board. I trimmed off all of the excess with a pizza cutter. It looked hideous, but was still streaked like wood grain, or like zebra stripes....until I added the magic potion of brown petal dust mixed with a small amount of Everclear, about one or two tablespoons worth. Vodka would work the same way. Then I used a fan brush and started brushing the 'stain' onto the wood in a long wood grain fashion. Miracle of miracles! The brown/Everclear combination turned that weird mess into the most beautiful wood grain possible! Plus, because Everclear has such a high alcohol content, it dried very quickly. If I think of it tomorrow, I'll try and get a picture taken even though I don't have the project finished. I probably won't post any pictures until later in the evening, though, as my day is pretty full tomorrow. This is a good way to use up left over fondant in odd colors, still keeping in mind that they probably need to be in the yellow, brown tan, family of colors. I probably would not use red, blue or green.

jan daniel said:
The wedding is this Saturday.  Their colors are blue and yellow, so we are, as well as the florist, using different hues of yellows and blues.  Of course the pie on the hay bale will have a heart shape top of crust with the bride and grooms name and a blue ribbon.  I will definitely post pics, hopefully this works out...spatulas crossed.  lol.  Our goal is to have the hay bale looking as tight as Gayl's.  Out of some of the hay bale cakes I have seen online, hers definitely takes the cake... sorry, had to say it. I will keep you posted.  My bestie and I are working hard on this.  We lost a week due to Irene, we were without power for a week, my crucial time for making my flowers, without feeling hurried and pressured. If it wasn't for my pal Susan... we got soooo much done today and because of her talents we are on schedule. :)  I have seen several cakes online where people have done saddles and bales, etc... but may be if you did a kinda "country harvest fair" thing with "pies" and "mason jars of lemonade" on a checkered tablecloth over a hay bale and fall leaves, as if they fell from the trees... just a thought.  This is a great time of year to get a hay bale at most craft stores if you didn't want to make one out of cake.  Sorry I digress... OMG!  I just saw your pics.  YOU are amazing!  I bow down to you.  How did you get the wood grain in the flower basket bday cake pic? Is that fondant I want to do a barn floor under the hay bale, I am thinking fondant... suggestions?
took an early picture. Hope it uploads okay.

Linda Wolff said:
Actually, Jan, that was not a good wood grain. It was my first try doing it. I am working on another cake (dummy) this week where I have made another wood grain and it looks unbelievable. My husband is a woodcrafter and when he came home last night and saw the wood, he asked me if I had gotten a piece of wood from his garage for the base. It isn't wood. It is fondant. Here is what I did, and I will post pictures as soon as I get the cake done. I took several long thin rolls of white, yellow, pumpkin color orange, tan and black and rolled them out on a plexiglass 'board' until they were fairly thin. Then I sliced the sheet in 2 or 3 inch strips and turned every other one in the opposite direction  and placed them back beside where they were to begin with. Then I rolled and rolled until the fondant covered the entire plexiglass board. I trimmed off all of the excess with a pizza cutter. It looked hideous, but was still streaked like wood grain, or like zebra stripes....until I added the magic potion of brown petal dust mixed with a small amount of Everclear, about one or two tablespoons worth. Vodka would work the same way. Then I used a fan brush and started brushing the 'stain' onto the wood in a long wood grain fashion. Miracle of miracles! The brown/Everclear combination turned that weird mess into the most beautiful wood grain possible! Plus, because Everclear has such a high alcohol content, it dried very quickly. If I think of it tomorrow, I'll try and get a picture taken even though I don't have the project finished. I probably won't post any pictures until later in the evening, though, as my day is pretty full tomorrow. This is a good way to use up left over fondant in odd colors, still keeping in mind that they probably need to be in the yellow, brown tan, family of colors. I probably would not use red, blue or green.

jan daniel said:
Wow!, That is incredible!  Your hard work and talent shows.  Wow!

......took several long thin rolls of white, yellow, pumpkin color orange, tan and black and rolled them out on a plexiglass 'board' until they were fairly thin. Then I sliced the sheet in 2 or 3 inch strips and turned every other one in the opposite direction and placed them back beside where they were to begin with. Then I rolled and rolled until the fondant covered the entire plexiglass board. I trimmed off all of the excess with a pizza cutter. It looked hideous, but was still streaked like wood grain, or like zebra stripes....until I added the magic potion.............

that IS the most real looking 'wood' I have seen!  Incredi\ble is right!

BUT...........I don't follow the instructions.  The part about turning everyother one?   Can you make a line sketch to show us?  when you get time of course.

not only is the wood increditble your basketweave and the pumpkin are delightfully real looking too:) 

That wood grain is AMAZING!!!!! I have just started working with fondant. I am going to try this.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service