Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

I am about ready to make a sandcastle wedding cake. It will be white cake with pineapple. I plan to make sand out of groundup graham crackers. Any suggestions for any of the decor?

Thanks to all of you who responded and offered ideas. The wedding was yesterday, it was very casual, and they had a beach theme. I thought the cake turned out well and it tasted great. I used two different recipes, white cake with pineapple. I also made a tropical chocolate groom's cake that sits at the left.

Guess what I used for the tower top wall blocks? Let's see who can get the answer!

Views: 1511

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow, it is wonderful!!! A lot of work. It is a terrific sandcastle! The bottle with a message reminds me of the song - Time in the bottle, by Jim Croce. That is what I think of when I see this Wedding Cake!
And for your question, I hope someone can tell me!
Nice Job!
Sher

Sam The Cake Man said:

Thank you Sherry. It was fun to do. Nothing fancy but it sure got alot of good comments and it fit the theme.

Sherry Qualls said:
what a great job Sam!!!
Nice Job Sam! Looks like a fun cake to do!
Great job, Sam! It's hard to see the wall blocks but it almost looks like peanut butter logs? Hmmmm, not sure. I wanted to add that I make A LOT of beach themed cakes living on the coast and I like to use ground up Nilla wafers for the sand. It makes for a much softer, whiter sand, which is what we have here on the east coast and tastes like vanilla cake! Love those starfish!
My husband and I did a sand castle for our wedding.. We mixed white granulated sugar and light brown sugar until we got the color we wanted. It not only looked like sand, but it felt like sand also.
Thanks CindyLou for the response and comments. The tower wall blocks are actually fig newtons. I was doing the cake at my in laws home and sitting on the kitchen counter happened to be a package of them and I had been thinking about how to make the tower top and those caught my eye, so I covered them in frosting and stuck them on. Nilla wafers??? Great suggestion. I had not even thought of those. I will have to try that next time. Thanks again for responding.

CindyLou said:
Great job, Sam! It's hard to see the wall blocks but it almost looks like peanut butter logs? Hmmmm, not sure. I wanted to add that I make A LOT of beach themed cakes living on the coast and I like to use ground up Nilla wafers for the sand. It makes for a much softer, whiter sand, which is what we have here on the east coast and tastes like vanilla cake! Love those starfish!
Rebecca, thanks for responding. Do you have a picture of your cake? I have used sugars before, in fact all three, white, brown, and powered mixed together make a great combo. I thought though it I was covering the cake versus just surrounding the cake with sand I would go the graham cracker route so as not to have too much sugar.

Rebecca DeGroot said:
My husband and I did a sand castle for our wedding.. We mixed white granulated sugar and light brown sugar until we got the color we wanted. It not only looked like sand, but it felt like sand also.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service