Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Hi there! I am trying to make a pagoda with royal icing. Is there a secret to make it stronger? The piping is done with a no. 1 nozzle but some just breaks to easily. What is the best size nozzle to use for this and also for trellis and bridge work? I would really like to do this right. 

Views: 559

Replies to This Discussion

it work s  good , but you know every 1 saz they found the best !so we all keep looking and trying lol , i think a lot has to do with the weather to , YVW June ; )), when we realy find the best  ! guy's  & ladys let me know lol! as for now i'l keep useing mine and waiting to find anthing any1 has thats the sure thing ,

June Kowalczyk said:

Gonna write this recipe down..... thanks Gail... :o)

another  ??? has any1 piped snowflakes ? and were do you get your patterns from ?

Yes Gail - I have piped snowflakes.  Just remember they say that there are no 2 snowflakes that are ever the same, so let your imagination run wild.  They just have the basic form of always having 6 'spokes'.  Just google images of snowflakes and you will overwhelmed with ideas.  To pipe them, I just put dots in edible ink on parchment paper for where the end of the spokes would come, so I got my dimensions and proportions right (and the symmetry).  Then piped freehand.  Let them dry for ages or they will break on you (several of mine did anyway).  Or you can be brave and pipe straight on to your cake.  Here's a few that I put on last years Christmas cake - the really good ones broke lol!

XMAS 2011

art deco cakes by galidink said:

another  ??? has any1 piped snowflakes ? and were do you get your patterns from ?

aw thank you Katy ;x! they are pretty , going to try that ;xxx

What is karo? What I also now know is that you have to pour the fresh egg white through a sieve. I will do it next time. Hey, its good to learn so much! I JUST LOVE IT!

its corn syrup ! same as glucouse ! it helps  it more strech ! i was just playing with it and found that if i pull away more and slower it works better for me !

Magdalena Visser said:

What is karo? What I also now know is that you have to pour the fresh egg white through a sieve. I will do it next time. Hey, its good to learn so much! I JUST LOVE IT!

Thank you Gail. Maybe I must try your recipe. Yaawn! I jyst finished some foliage and berries. Goodnes it is time consuming to make a spray of berries or leaves. I'm off to bed now. It is 23 h 29 and I have to get up at 05 h 00 tomorrow. We have a (what we call "Boeremark"} every Saturday, it is like a fresh farm products market, and the veggies is unbelievably fresh! But early bird catches the worm.

I found this but have never tried so don't know if it makes a difference. -- fresh egg whites (not meringue powder or powdered egg whites) and hand-stir the icing.  Using a mixer makes it easier, certainly, and makes a fluffier royal icing.  But that fluff is air which means less strength and more brittleness.  A hand-stirred, fresh-egg white royal icing is stronger than cement.

good nite , i 'l be going off to bed soon also , sweet dreams all

Magdalena Visser said:

Thank you Gail. Maybe I must try your recipe. Yaawn! I jyst finished some foliage and berries. Goodnes it is time consuming to make a spray of berries or leaves. I'm off to bed now. It is 23 h 29 and I have to get up at 05 h 00 tomorrow. We have a (what we call "Boeremark"} every Saturday, it is like a fresh farm products market, and the veggies is unbelievably fresh! But early bird catches the worm.have a good nite i'l be going to bed in a few hr's to goodnite ;x

I have a saved video from YouTube where they make RI with just a bowl, wooden spoon & lemon juice. Pretty simple.

yes ! iv seen some like that , there are so many ways to make the stuff I think its what works best for you , and the weather at the time you make it , i must say it taste much better with the lemon juice ! ; )

June Kowalczyk said:

I have a saved video from YouTube where they make RI with just a bowl, wooden spoon & lemon juice. Pretty simple.

so many - weather ! lol , its late good nite all
art deco cakes by galidink said:

yes ! iv seen some like that , there are somany ways to make the stuff i think its what works best for you , and the wrather at the time you make it , i must say it taste much better with the lemon juice ! ; )

June Kowalczyk said:

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service