Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Hi there! I am trying to make a pagoda with royal icing. Is there a secret to make it stronger? The piping is done with a no. 1 nozzle but some just breaks to easily. What is the best size nozzle to use for this and also for trellis and bridge work? I would really like to do this right. 

Views: 557

Replies to This Discussion

Oh wow very pretty

lol Maggie - you don't sound like a spoiled brat!  You sound like someone who wants what she wants and there's no shame in that my dear

Magdalena Visser said:

I am going to sound like a spoiled brat...the no. 2 is to wide and it looks to coarse, I want it dainty.

very pretty ! i love it ;x

Magdalena Visser said:

Thank you Les, I will try it over pipe. I Don'r really need this, it's just that  I had some left and thought I'll try to make the pagoda, I've had the picture for about 10 years. Only the roof survived and I made something small which  I will be able to use somewhere. But I am sure we will all do some research on this topic. We are all winners and won't allow royal icing to get the better of us!  ;o} !

I bought the finer nozzles today, no's 00 & 0. I am going to try again by starting with the no. 1, over ice it with the no.0 and finish it off with the no.00. I think it will make it stronger and hopefully the end result will look dainty. Hold your thumbs, I'll keep you updated.

Sounds like a great idea - looking forward to seeing the results!

Magdalena Visser said:

I bought the finer nozzles today, no's 00 & 0. I am going to try again by starting with the no. 1, over ice it with the no.0 and finish it off with the no.00. I think it will make it stronger and hopefully the end result will look dainty. Hold your thumbs, I'll keep you updated.

We just did an evening with royal icing at my cake club this past Monday. Raw egg white & lemon juice makes the strongest RI, with a little gum arabic/tylose pwdr for strength. That is what 2 older seasoned decorators passed on to us. We made snowflakes out of royal.  June, our leader, discovered if you made a "frame" out of gumpaste, and piped over it, the snowflakes were extremely sturdy. June had been practicing as she has a winter wedding cake for late Jan to be covered in snowflakes.  :o)

Thank you June. :o)  I also found directions from an older CWB discussion on Google. You will remember this one 

http://www.cakeswebake.com/forum/topics/can-anyone-share-to-me-a-ro...   , because you played a big role in it.  It gets clearer everyday, just exactly why I love this site! God bless you all!

Yikes

Better be careful what I write eh Magddlena???  Words can come back and haunt me....  hee hee

But seriously, since I made this post, I learned from Timothy Jansen & Les Brown here on CWB 1st & then my cake club, that using lemon juice instead of water when making RI, it pipes smoother & without breakage.

I TRYED MAKING IT WITH LEMON JUICE A FEW TIMES AND I FOUND IT IS BETTER ALSO ! add the karo and the cream of tarter ! it gets realy hard !

June Kowalczyk said:

Yikes

Better be careful what I write eh Magddlena???  Words can come back and haunt me....  hee hee

But seriously, since I made this post, I learned from Timothy Jansen & Les Brown here on CWB 1st & then my cake club, that using lemon juice instead of water when making RI, it pipes smoother & without breakage.

How much karo and cream of tartar do you add Gail?

1/4 cream of tartar 1 teas of karo 2 tablespoons of lemon juice to 2 lb's of powder sugar , 5 egg whites add water if needed!

Gonna write this recipe down..... thanks Gail... :o)

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service