Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Hi everyone, I live in Canada and I know our money is different, but what are you charging for your cakes?  I live in the Country and I am almost giving my cakes away because I feel bad when someone turned me down because of my price.  I know the prices I am offering are well below what others charge in the City, but people don't seem to think they should pay them.  HELP I really want business but I am losing out.

Views: 2248

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

It does thanks so much. Everyone who has replied have really helped me out.

Gonzuela said:
Hi Tara, I live in Canada also (in NB) and I base my pricing on the difficulty of the cake design, although I also factor in location as well since you can't get as much per serving in the Maritimes as you would for the same cake in Toronto for example. I think there are cake pricing guidlines on the Wilton website so I'd maybe try to "google" around to get an idea of what the price range in your area is. Generally, for more simplistic fondant cakes I start around $3 per serving and then add on any extras like flowers, hand painting, etc. For the more time consuming cake art & 3D sculpting I start around $10 per serving. If it's something people really want and can't get elsewhere they'll pay the amount for the cake - just make sure they are aware of all the time you are spending on your original design. Since you can get cheap buttercream frosted cakes at the local grocery store with little designs drawn on them, I don't both trying to compete in that market so I am not sure what to charge for buttercream. I think the best advice where ever you live is to focus on originalty in your cake designs, base your pricing on your level of skill, and don't be afraid to charge for your time. Hope this helps! :-)
Hiya Tara...Iam from Ontario,,,Barrie...I like to call it snowland lol...Nice to meet you.

Tara Lynn MacLean said:
Hi Sylvia, I am from New Brunswick. A little place called Burtts Corner, near the capital city, Fredericton. Where are you?

Sylvia A James said:
Hi there Tara, i too am from Canada and that is a question i would like some help with as well. Whwew abouts in Canada are you? Sylvia.
I came across this article yesterday. I think it has some great advise on pricing your cakes for sale.

http://www.earlenescakes.com/business09.htm
Thank you Kathy was a very informative article.

Kathy Kmonk said:
I came across this article yesterday. I think it has some great advise on pricing your cakes for sale.

http://www.earlenescakes.com/business09.htm
Hi Sylvia I am in Owen Sound, so a bit farther north inot the snow but I was wonder besides Micheals is that any cake decorating supply places in barrie. It is the closest center to me to shop unless I make a trip to Missassauga.

Sylvia A James said:
Hiya Tara...Iam from Ontario,,,Barrie...I like to call it snowland lol...Nice to meet you.

Tara Lynn MacLean said:
Hi Sylvia, I am from New Brunswick. A little place called Burtts Corner, near the capital city, Fredericton. Where are you?

Sylvia A James said:
Hi there Tara, i too am from Canada and that is a question i would like some help with as well. Whwew abouts in Canada are you? Sylvia.
Earlene's is great. She has so much information on her website. I came upon her website when I first started searching the internet a few years ago for cake stuff... She is really a sweet person. I had emailed her and asked her advice on a few things and she got right back to me and was so nice. I don't know if she is still teaching classes or not but her site is wonderful.
Here is my pricing matrix
Attachments:
And don't forget...

Quality Cakes Aren't Cheap & Cheap Cakes Aren't Quality!
I have got exactly the same problem. I'm from the UK though if anyone has any advice?
I met with a bride last night for a July wedding. They just want a small cake to cut because they are having peitit fours that are included in the price with their caterer. She said but I only want a small 2 tier cake to cut... with the tooled leather look that you do... and hand made gumpaste flowers... hmmmmm "ONLY" is translated in my terms I want it all but I ONLY want to pay you squat...
Her fiance brought op the fact that I have a minimum of $250 on all wedding cakes regardless of the size... I did this a few years ago because I had many brides expecting me to do a small cake for them to cut then they'd buy their sheet cakes from Costco to serve.... what a slap in the face! I explained to them why I have a minimum... The time it takes to make all those gumpaste flowers is the reason. I explain the time involved in making the cakes I make. They want a cake that serves 50... so I settled on $150... it will be 2 tier.... tooled leather brown fondant (I have a few of these in my portfolio) and a few gumpaste flowers.

My biggest problem is we live in such a small area and most everyone I do a cake for is a good friend so it is really hard to stick to my guns. I always say I am going to and I give in.
Yes and that is the reason they come to you because they know you will give, it is hard to be firm on your price and then not get the order. However if you continue to do this you won't make money. I am sure that cake will cost you more the $150.00 to complete after you figure in time hydro, delivery, supplies etc. People will always try to get it at a better price and I think because they think it is a food item that it is not worth the same as say sitting with a lawyer or taking your car to the mechanic all those things are servicec and making a wedding cake is a service so price accordingly. I doubt they would got to their lawyer and say we are getting some advice from a friend on the matter so could you charge us less for your time as we have some advice already?? Just tell them they are getting the best quality for their money.

jeri c said:
I met with a bride last night for a July wedding. They just want a small cake to cut because they are having peitit fours that are included in the price with their caterer. She said but I only want a small 2 tier cake to cut... with the tooled leather look that you do... and hand made gumpaste flowers... hmmmmm "ONLY" is translated in my terms I want it all but I ONLY want to pay you squat...
Her fiance brought op the fact that I have a minimum of $250 on all wedding cakes regardless of the size... I did this a few years ago because I had many brides expecting me to do a small cake for them to cut then they'd buy their sheet cakes from Costco to serve.... what a slap in the face! I explained to them why I have a minimum... The time it takes to make all those gumpaste flowers is the reason. I explain the time involved in making the cakes I make. They want a cake that serves 50... so I settled on $150... it will be 2 tier.... tooled leather brown fondant (I have a few of these in my portfolio) and a few gumpaste flowers.

My biggest problem is we live in such a small area and most everyone I do a cake for is a good friend so it is really hard to stick to my guns. I always say I am going to and I give in.
Most everyone I do cakes for are good friends or family anyway. I don't do this as a business... but a few years ago I had to start charging more because I was working my rear off for nothing.... Now I do not do as many cakes but I enjoy my time more because I am not always doing everything for nothing. For the most part I tell them they are more than welcome to go elsewhere but my prices are my prices.... $150 for a cake that serves 50 is more than fair. That is $3 a serving and that is what I charge. As for the flowers, I need to learn how to do more of them so I am using this cake as my excuse to get going and make more flowers. Everything I make off my cakes goes right back into supplies... I am out growing my room I have things stored in!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service