Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

I am so amateur its not funny, but a lady in my office building has asked me to do her wedding cake! Auuuggghhhh!!

 

She wants buttercream icing with tropical flowers. The cala lillies would be easier to do in fondant, but would they "melt" when I put them on a buttercream cake the day before serving? I know the color flow banners I've made in the past had to be propped up on sugar cubes to keep from melting so .....

 

Thanks.

Views: 3901

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Fondant will not melt on the BC. But, I would not put them in the fridge. They may wilt while they are coming back up to room temp.
Ok. Great. Thanks for your help. I thought I'd make the flowers now (3 weeks early). I'll make the cake/icing on a Friday and then assemble the day of the wedding. No refrigerator. My next worry is the 100 + degree temperature we have in south Louisiana (high humidity) and this is a POOL wedding. I'm going to insist the cake stay inside until cutting.

Deah said:
Fondant will not melt on the BC. But, I would not put them in the fridge. They may wilt while they are coming back up to room temp.
Since you are making your flowers this early, why not make them from gumpaste instead of fondant? They store really well. I still have some I made 6 months ago.
I have to make some cherry blossoms in Oct. I have worked with Wilton's gum tex for sugarpaste. I do not like it. It dries out to fast before I get to use the whole batch.
What kind of gumpaste do you use?

Deah said:
Since you are making your flowers this early, why not make them from gumpaste instead of fondant? They store really well. I still have some I made 6 months ago.
i had the same experience, and i went to using 50/50 gumpaste fondant, and it worked perfect.
i made both batches, then kneeded them together, the lady i read the tip from said to let it set over night
so i wrapped it in saran wrap, put it in one of my sealable wilton bowls with a damp washcloth.
it was for a shoe that i made, and i came out great, was easy to work with, and it didnt dry out while i was working with it, or after i was done, it was just really easy.

heres the link i read it from

http://thesugarlane.com/2008/10/15/answers-to-your-most-asked-gumpa...

hope that helps =-)


♥Cat ♥ said:
I have to make some cherry blossoms in Oct. I have worked with Wilton's gum tex for sugarpaste. I do not like it. It dries out to fast before I get to use the whole batch.
What kind of gumpaste do you use? Deah said:
Since you are making your flowers this early, why not make them from gumpaste instead of fondant? They store really well. I still have some I made 6 months ago.
Cat and Coleen, I use the Wilton premade gumpaste. And, yes, it does dry fast but that's a good thing for me. I'm pretty impatient and can't wait days and days before fondant will dry.

When you are working with gumpaste speed is an issue. However, I always keep everything covered in plastic wrap unless it is in my hands. When I roll out and cut several flowers out I place them on a layer of plastic wrap and cover and seal them with another. This keeps it from drying out while you are working with something else. Also, in your package, make sure you press as much air out of the package as you can before sealing it back up. Mine lasts for months doing it this way.
Since the Wilton fondant is so horribly NASTY, I'm concerned about the gumpaste. I make my own fondant. You know there will be some kid who'll try to eat the flowers. I don't want anyone biting into anything nasty. What does the gumpaste taste like?

Deah said:
Since you are making your flowers this early, why not make them from gumpaste instead of fondant? They store really well. I still have some I made 6 months ago.
All gumpaste is nasty tasting, tastes like stale chewing gum to me. I don't know if anyone who eats it. It also is super hard. I always tell people that it is edible but not pallatable. Besides, if you have wires, stamens or such it is no longer edible.

Another advantage to gumpaste, if it is done well, gumpaste looks good forever. I have some GP flowers I made and dusted over a year ago. They are sitting in my china cabinet and still look like they did the first day. Your customer can have a "keepsake" from their special occassion.

BTW, I make my own fondant also so I don't know from personal experience, but I've read recently that Wilton had changed their fondant and it is much better than the previous recipe they used.

Karen said:
Since the Wilton fondant is so horribly NASTY, I'm concerned about the gumpaste. I make my own fondant. You know there will be some kid who'll try to eat the flowers. I don't want anyone biting into anything nasty. What does the gumpaste taste like?

Deah said:
Since you are making your flowers this early, why not make them from gumpaste instead of fondant? They store really well. I still have some I made 6 months ago.
Thanks. Like I said previously, I am NOT a professional when it comes to this, but my cakes TASTE great. The most I've piddled with cake decorating is when my children's b'day cakes. I took a Wilton class over 20 years ago to learn the basics. (Fondant/gumpaste wasn't even heard of then!!!) I appreciate your help. I've recently picked it back up in my old age *grin*. We'll see how it goes!
I have had mixed results with Gum-Tex...I mixed it with marshmallow fondant and it seems to work much better but I would rather use just gumpaste...I like the Wilton ready to use gut it is expensive....I just bought some tylose cmc but didnt make any yet...anyone have any experience with it and in making gumpaste? I think the recipe is made like royal icing....I have a few different recipes.

Karen you can place fondant on buttercream but gumpaste tends to get soft. As for the heat I live in FL so I have the same horrible circumstances...I would add some shortening (substitute some for the butter) to your buttercream to make it more stable, up to half the amount of the butter....butter melts at body temperature but shortening is stable at those same temperature ranges. If you can get hi ratio shortening that would be even better....I get mine from a local bakery..they charge me by the pound...ask around....
Hi, Karen: I have a great buttercream recipe. Everyone tells me it is the best they've had. No butter (surprisingly).
1/2 c. heavy cream
1 tsp. almond extract
1 tsp. clear vanilla extract
1 tsp. clear butter flavoring
2 c. Crisco shortening
1 lbs powdered sugar, sifted.
Dash salt.


Karen Marie said:
I have had mixed results with Gum-Tex...I mixed it with marshmallow fondant and it seems to work much better but I would rather use just gumpaste...I like the Wilton ready to use gut it is expensive....I just bought some tylose cmc but didnt make any yet...anyone have any experience with it and in making gumpaste? I think the recipe is made like royal icing....I have a few different recipes.

Karen you can place fondant on buttercream but gumpaste tends to get soft. As for the heat I live in FL so I have the same horrible circumstances...I would add some shortening (substitute some for the butter) to your buttercream to make it more stable, up to half the amount of the butter....butter melts at body temperature but shortening is stable at those same temperature ranges. If you can get hi ratio shortening that would be even better....I get mine from a local bakery..they charge me by the pound...ask around....
That sounds great and it would be even better with the hi ratio shortening..no greasy mouthfeel....I bet its the cream that makes it taste so good! Thanks for the recipe!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2022   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service