Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Dear all,

I have another failing that frankly I am not sure how to overcome in the cake decorating field - and that is that I more often then not end up with slightly crooked cakes!  I have invested (at great expense bearing in mind the weak dollar to the rand) in an ANGAY cake slicer, my husband has bought me a square, I do my cake fillings by means of a piping bag to ensure an even consistency - yet, lo and behold, my cakes still have a penchant for leaning a tad!  I generally use sponge cake for most of my novelty cakes, and would really appreciate some really good advice and pointers.  Following advice from this forum, I also now place a flat tile on top of each torted cake tier for at least a night before stacking, and this has helped enormously with the bulging layers - but oh dear, I still make skew jobs!  Help please :-)

Views: 610

Replies to This Discussion

hehehehehe oh June, you have really made my day!  hehehehe used dental floss indeed :-)  hehehehe

thank you so very much for this information, I shall be taking all of this on board and doing my level best to make sure that all cakes coming out of Schweeet Mamma's kitchen are straight and have perfectly flossed edges! :-) hehehehe Happy spring day to youall (1st September is spring day in SA) :-)

Well Mandy, like I said, know it sounds weird, but it does actually work. You could use string, but dental floss is much stronger and easier to handle. Try it, you will be surprised how easy it is.

Thank you kindly June - you really do come thru for us newbies xoxox

:o)

Yes, she does.

:0). :0). Katy

Have you ever tried the upside down method for icing a cake.  I've done it and it works really well.

http://jessicakesblog.blogspot.com/2011/06/video-tutorial-upside-do...

I have a similar version of this from another site.  Always looked like too much work...so honestly, have never tried it.  :o)

I've used this method and really like it, I confess I don't go through all the trouble of using a level I only decorate cakes for family and friends and if my cakes are a little off, well can't usually tell because most of them are for kids and the style doesn't require they be perfect.  However, I find its turning the cake over and chilling it that way is easier than trying to get a nice clean surface.

yup , that works to

im with you on that leveling thing sister!!!  I was tempted to purchase the angay, but i decided to try a few tricks,  after years of suffering with  (PLD)post leveling depression, looking at books, dvds, on the net.  I figured im doing everything right, i have a leveler, both large and small, make the dam for the filling,etc..... and still slightly crooked. aaaarrrgghh, every cake designer's nightmare.  you wanna check the counter/table top where you decorate your cakes, it may not be level, second: use some parachment paper around the sides of your pan to give an extra 1inch in height, so that when your cakes rise it wont spill over and that extra inch you can cut off and the cake will be level.  Third: when they  are baked, take them out of the pan and check to see how level they are before you fill, compress each cake individually first, then check the leveling again, this way all cakes are settled before they are stacked, then when you stack them, settle again.. I do this for every cake and so far (fingers crossed) it has worked.  I thought i would be the first woman to have a nervous breakdown trying to level a cake,lol. I figure i could go to the docs and claim disability for PLD,lol, Good Luck.

PLD haha - love it!

monica murphy said:

im with you on that leveling thing sister!!!  I was tempted to purchase the angay, but i decided to try a few tricks,  after years of suffering with  (PLD)post leveling depression, looking at books, dvds, on the net.  I figured im doing everything right, i have a leveler, both large and small, make the dam for the filling,etc..... and still slightly crooked. aaaarrrgghh, every cake designer's nightmare.  you wanna check the counter/table top where you decorate your cakes, it may not be level, second: use some parachment paper around the sides of your pan to give an extra 1inch in height, so that when your cakes rise it wont spill over and that extra inch you can cut off and the cake will be level.  Third: when they  are baked, take them out of the pan and check to see how level they are before you fill, compress each cake individually first, then check the leveling again, this way all cakes are settled before they are stacked, then when you stack them, settle again.. I do this for every cake and so far (fingers crossed) it has worked.  I thought i would be the first woman to have a nervous breakdown trying to level a cake,lol. I figure i could go to the docs and claim disability for PLD,lol, Good Luck.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service