Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

has any one tried these for piping ,what a fantastic idea first time i have used them today but i will be using them all the time now,

you mix your icing that you are going to use then take a sqare piece of cling filmplce a decent size dollop in the centre sausage shaped,take a corner of the cling filmand fold it to the opposite corner (making a triangle) roll from the middle where your icing is making a shape like a xmas cracker,until you have the icing rolled in the cling film and an end either side make a knot in one side ,just lean the other side on to the centre, make as many as you can ,

now set up your icing bag cut the end thats loose and drop it into your icing bag ,bag stays clean ,when you run out ,take the empty cartrige out, cut the end of another one and drop it in then your ready to pipe away without the mess of filling your bag so simple, result!!! 

Views: 184

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Posted by mary hnatyszyn
i don't know whether i explained that very well,my grammer is terrible ,

i mean't put a dollop of the icing in the middle of the cling film, then take one corner across to the other, then roll from the middle to the corner sealing the icing in ,hope that's better x
I have pictures and step by step instructions posted on how to do this here is the link...  http://www.cakeswebake.com/photo/albums/preparing-bags-for-easy  I learned how to do this at my last job as a cookie decorator.  It's the only way to go in my opinion.  It's not necessary to tie a knot in one end , just catch that end with a rubber band to keep the icing from coming out the end.
That is really cool!  Thanks for posting this.  I will give this a try the next time I have a cake with a bunch of colors so I can save on bags.
yeah that's what i found dawnetta ,it just so much less mess ,and thank you kathy thats great instrutions
Since there is less clean up, I make a bag for each color.  Then if I have left over icing I just put it in the freezer bag and all.
i've never put icing in the freezer, is that butter icing and royal ?i did'nt realise you could i must waste a lot!!!!! ,do you defrost on the morning you need it or the night before,what a great tip kathy

Kathy Kmonk said:
Since there is less clean up, I make a bag for each color.  Then if I have left over icing I just put it in the freezer bag and all.

I always have some Buttercream Icing  and a cake in the freezer. It is so handy for that last minute cake you want ......I just take everything out and am putting the cake together in  no time at all.  But if they are in those small containers they will thaw in no time. I do this all the time.


I do NOT freeze Royal Icing...I don't believe it will do very well.


mary hnatyszyn said:

i've never put icing in the freezer, is that butter icing and royal ?i did'nt realise you could i must waste a lot!!!!! ,do you defrost on the morning you need it or the night before,what a great tip kathy

Kathy Kmonk said:
Since there is less clean up, I make a bag for each color.  Then if I have left over icing I just put it in the freezer bag and all.
Mary, that's I use buttercream on my cakes and royal icing on my cookies.  I freeze both.  It doesn't take long for them to thaw, so I just take them out of the freezer on the morning I will be needing them.  If I need to thaw a roll of icing quickly, I'll take a kitchen towel, run it under warm water, squeeze it out, and then wrap it around the roll for a couple minutes.  Make sure the towel isn't too hot or your icing will melt and you'll have to put it back in the refrigerator to harden up a bit.  You can freeze the icing plugs without a bag also...just put them in an air tight container.  Icing is good in the freezer for two months, so I date them when they go in.
How do you store your royal icing.  I have not dabbled in royal icing since my Wilton class, frankly I am still not comfortable with it.  Any advise would be helpful.

Sharon said:

I always have some Buttercream Icing  and a cake in the freezer. It is so handy for that last minute cake you want ......I just take everything out and am putting the cake together in  no time at all.  But if they are in those small containers they will thaw in no time. I do this all the time.


I do NOT freeze Royal Icing...I don't believe it will do very well.


mary hnatyszyn said:

i've never put icing in the freezer, is that butter icing and royal ?i did'nt realise you could i must waste a lot!!!!! ,do you defrost on the morning you need it or the night before,what a great tip kathy

Kathy Kmonk said:
Since there is less clean up, I make a bag for each color.  Then if I have left over icing I just put it in the freezer bag and all.
Anne, I store all my icing the same way.  In an airtight container on the counter if I'm going to use it right away or if I have extra I roll my icing into plugs as we have discussed here and put them in the freezer in an airtight container.
Thanks Kathy, do u need to mix the plugs of bc after defrosting?  What about Royal icing?

Kathy Kmonk said:
Anne, I store all my icing the same way.  In an airtight container on the counter if I'm going to use it right away or if I have extra I roll my icing into plugs as we have discussed here and put them in the freezer in an airtight container.
thanks kathy these are great tips with the freezer ,i usually make up what i need ,and i dont know how many times i open and refill the bags messing the bags ,now i can make a batch for the freezer xx

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2022   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service