Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

How do I send a NO instead of a quotaion to a potential client

Hi guys:

I was asked on 22 June to provide a quotation for a 23rd July wedding. I did just that. I heard no word from the guy (apparent wedding coordinator of sorts). On thrusday he calls and asks for the quotation (yes I was stunned). I informed him that it is in his inbox. He then asked for samples and queried the cost telling me that the bride's budget is $JA40,000 and that is the include travelling. I quoted JA$52,000.

I told him that if she wants to stick with her budget then she should reduce the the sizes and number of cakes as well as go easy with the detailing.

On Friday her cousin calls asking if this is Teneisha. When i identified myself she said i am so and so and you are doing a cake for my cousin. I advised her that i am not doing a cake for her (no confirmation nor deposit received) but that i provided a quotation. She asked if she could see me today which I agreed to.

When they came they wanted this and that and I was royally annoyed. Anyhow I remained professional.  The bride lives in the US and the wedding is in Jamaica, 2 hrs away from my home. They eventually put her on speaker, and I'm sure she said everything better goes as she expects it to otherwise she is going to sue all who don't deliver as she expects. HOLD UP!!!! Is she serious. She is half of a million over budget and wants to go cheap on my cake then sue me if the cake has a crack after driving with it for 2hrs.

So after I finished the orders I had  for today...I reflected and said to self you will not be making that cake...did I tell you all that it will be my birthday...o yes...stress myself to do a wedding cake on my bday and then get sued!!!!

They are expecting a revised quotation...how do I nicely tell them that I will not be able to do the cake?

Looking forward to your responses :)

Regards,

Teneisha Williams

Views: 272

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh yeah Jeri....hit up the north coast eh?...lol
Teneisha,

I'm so glad you said no! Christina and the others are totally right, sometimes the stress is NOT worth the money! I used to try to bend over backwards, give lower prices etc.- not anymore! For the time it takes me to bake your cake, make icing, decorate it, and clean up my kitchen afterwards please don't squabble about my prices...you're free to go to a specialty bakery and pay 4 times as much for half the quality!

Just enjoy our birthday girl!

Smiles,

Faith

Yea Faith enjoy I will...I'm slowly getting rid of "nice" Teneisha...

My aching feet must be worth something...

Time away from my friends and family must be worth something...

Time away from my BF must be worth something...

Lack of sleep must be worth something...

It all must be worth something....

So pay or go elsewhere...:::))

Sunny smiles!

Teneisha

You nailed it here.  I'm going to make this into a poster for my store :)

Teneisha Williams said:

My aching feet must be worth something...

Time away from my friends and family must be worth something...

Time away from my BF must be worth something...

Lack of sleep must be worth something...

It all must be worth something....

So pay or go elsewhere...:::))

Sunny smiles!

Teneisha

JJ you are hilarious...happy to have met you... :)))) (btw. I wanted to find out the missing words on your tat...you can inbox me....DWL)
Proud of you Teneisha, let them go to France!! For all we do we deserve more than we do get. We make editable art.

Another story I will share. Had one customer order a cake for a friend. I filled the order, called the friend for pick up and she told me that she did not say this week she told her friend next week. So I called the friend. No answer so I left a message explaining the cake was ready and I needed my money and her friend said she did not tell her this week. She ignored me. I ended up taking the cake to work and giving it away. I was now out of pocket $35.

She called again after 2mths to place another order. I guess she thought I had forgotten. I informed her that the cake needed to be paid for in advance in order to confirm the order. I went out with my hubby got home at 11:30pm and got a text message I should inform her when I was home. Come on I could not call at that hour of the morning. She had called me on the Friday and this cake was for a baby shower on the sunday. She had the entire Saturday to get to me. BUT NO!!! She turned up at my door in Sunday to collect her shower cake. Now you know I was not making that cake. She rang the door bell, called my cell phone and I refused to answer. I hope she learnt her lesson. DON'T play games with me. She has tried to order from me since and every time I am too busy and I ain't available. I won't let customers walk over me. When they are in there comfortable bed fast asleep or out with their friends and family. I am missing all that because I am baking and decorating to make there event special. I demand to be respected or go somewhere else, I don't need your grief.

Christina I'm on the couch laughing my heart out out....in Jamaica as you probably know we would call her a DUNCE BAT!!!!!!! she must be out of her mind....DWL

Amen Christina! You have so much wisdom to share! I had that happen to me a couple of weeks ago - person never picked up their order now I'm requiring payment in advance because that was a waste of my time putting in the effort to make a 12 inch round cake...anyway the kids and nurses in the pediatric ward enjoyed it!
You guys are too funny!  But very realistic!  The motto I have always lived by is I will work smarter not harder....

Oh and Taneshia... if you ever get that $52,000 cake... let me know and I will be happy to take it off your hands for you sweetie!

O Jeri you are funny too you know...lol...and of course I will let you know about the 52gs...we'll live it up!!!!

My story is, I did a 9x13 inch - 3 inches high cake for a customer's 60th birthday. I charged her TTD 450.00 which included delivery. I was unable to deliver the cake, so I subtracted TTD 50.00.

The birthday lady calls me a few days after to comment on how tasty the cake was, but it should have been 1 inch higher for the same price!! My family was upset, despite not being a professional they said that I was undercharging Ms. Birthday Lady, especially since it was a cream cheese covered cake.

Her friend saw my work, so a few months later, calls me 4 days before a baptism and orders a 12 inch round cake. I told her I required at least 2 weeks’ notice for a cake like this, but was willing to make the cake for her. I gave her the cost, TTD 300.00 and told her that a 50% down payment must be made before I begin.

Her response "hmm so much money girl - don't worry nah", so I said in my mind, "Ms. Lady, don't waste my time, go to a bakery and pay more money for one of their cakes!!!!!

Do these people think we go to the supermarket and get our items FREE?

Teneisha my dear you are very right stand up for yourself because if you don’t people will walk over you.

Time and money goes into making these cakes.

I agree with Faith some people prefer to go to a bakery to pay 2 or 3 times more for a cake!!

@ Christina that lady was so inconsiderate & DISREPECTFUL!!!!!!!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service