Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Has anyone ever heard of this? If so can you spread some light on it for the rest of us? Thanks!

Views: 16268

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

this site is so helpful, i am a bread baker by profession, bake cakes occasionally and now would want to learn how to decorate for a change. this is the best decorating site so far, so glad i found this through cakeswebake facebook
You can still use crisco when making buttercream just use less water when also using the bright white. You can find bright white at your cake decorating specialty stores....I love it and use it all of the time. Maureen where do you live? I know of two places where I live that carry it and you can also order it from them and they will ship it to you.

Happy Baking!!
U can find the bright white for icing in Michael's store. You will find it where they keep all the fondant and flavors or gel colors. I hope that will help.

Vera Vargas said:
Is there anyway you can tell me where I can buy or find the bright white for the icing?
I have looked all over and noone seems to carry it. Do you think I can get it at Sams?
Lisa, I'm near Ocala, FL.

Lisa M. Garcia said:
You can still use crisco when making buttercream just use less water when also using the bright white. You can find bright white at your cake decorating specialty stores....I love it and use it all of the time. Maureen where do you live? I know of two places where I live that carry it and you can also order it from them and they will ship it to you.

Happy Baking!!
Edna Cruz talks about hi ratio shortening in one of her videos on cakes we bake, I think the one making roses. She said you need the fat and that Crisco has gone trans fat free which is needed when making frosting. She recommends using a generic or store brand that is not trans free. It is listed if it is trans free if you can't get the high ratio.
I use Crisco and have not had any problems but I also add 1 -2 tbls of Karo syrup to my frosting at the end for a nice creamy frosting. It is wonderful. Found the recipe on this site as well.
Love Cakes we Bake! So much great info.
Maureen there is a great website and they are right there in FL.....http://www.fondantsource.com/....I have ordered from them and they have very good prices on everything. It will be easy for you because you can pick your items up if they are close to Ocala.

Maureen said:

Lisa M. Garcia said:

Happy Baking!!
Maureen, Jester's (www.fondantsource.com) is in Kissimmee near Disney World and there is another in Orlando on Hwy 50 called D and G Occasions (www.dandgoccasions.com)

Lisa M. Garcia said:
Maureen there is a great website and they are right there in FL.....http://www.fondantsource.com/....I have ordered from them and they have very good prices on everything. It will be easy for you because you can pick your items up if they are close to Ocala.

Maureen said:

Lisa M. Garcia said:

Happy Baking!!
Can anyone give a brand name for the hi ratio shortenings? I have always used Wal-mart store brand but went in today and find that they are out and so is their warehouse. Other box top stores do not sell anything but Crisco. Would a grocery store brand be the same as Walmart store brand or do they differ? I bought one store brand and the shortening seems softer that the Wal-mart brand. I used to use crisco until one hot summer day my frosting melted. fFortunately the cake was just for family. I live in northern michigan and am trying to find better sources for my cake decorating supplies. any help would be appreciated.!!!!
Sweetex or Alpine. If you have a GFS, they carry Sweetex. These seem to be the top two but there are others.
Yep, Sherry Qualls has got it right regarding trans fats & crisco. Hi Ratio will soon be available form Sweet Wise who will be shipping from www.sweetwise.com Sweet Wise also has some great videos at www.youtube.com/sweetwiseinc Soon they will be posting a video about cream cheese buttercream and hi ratio shortening.

Have A Sweet Day!

Sweet Wise
I found a shortening in a local grocery store that has trans fat in it. Will it work the same as high ratio shortening?
Maureen, Hey girl its Lisa. Yes Hi-Ratio is all I use. You can get Sweetex Brand right here in Ocala at Chaney Bros. You will like it alot better then Crisco. Taste and workablity. Happy Thanksgiving.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service