Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Has anyone ever made a gardenia or ranunculus flower from the ALL-IN-ONE cutters from Jem or Wilton?

Views: 614

Replies to This Discussion

the all-in-one cutters i purchased were from WWW.sugarcraft.com. But recently i purchased the new gumpaste flower cutter set from Wilton, i got it at MICHAELS CRAFT(with a 50% off coupon) it is GREAT, it has all these cutters in them, and instruction booklet, also impression mats, check it out.  That saves alot of money. When you work with the flowers you said they fall apart, could it be the gumpaste recipe you are using, or maybe u have rolled the center to thin.  After i have rolled and vein my petals then i thin the edges so that the thickness is in the middle, this way the flower wont break apart on the wires. Also a good tip is when you are using cutters to put the gumpaste over the top of the cutter and roll over the top of it, this helps keep the shape better.  I was thinking about putting up a tutorial on these two flowers i just need to find my camera battery.  One thing, you might be handling it to soon, mayb they need to dry longer. I have seen ur cakes n u r AWESOME, so u will do just fine with the cutters.  but really check out the wilton's set, they really stepped up their gumpaste cutters. if you do wanna get them dont forget to print out the coupon

the petal dust is like the poweder food coloring, u can use either. Petal dust is sooo expensive i had started purchasing artist soft pastels, they are like a sidewalk chalk but finer in quality, and they are non toxic, a 36pkg only cost $2.50, where as petal dust would cost approx.$5.00 for a small amount. the artist chalk is much better and i have so many different shades of color, once i dust them i just steam them and put a little melt shortening on them to give a shine, for the white flowers i just 50/50 cornstarch and pearl luster, thats only if i dont want it to have to much shine. For the ranunculus however i used flaming red food powder, because i couldnt find that color in petal dust at the time. but iam very pleased with the artist soft pastels.

art deco cakes by galidink said:

is it the same as red powder  food color? just wondering , if it works the same as the dust !?monica murphy said:

thnx, i did the gardenia last nite and finished today so that i could take the pic.  The ranunculus was something i started a few days ago, just picking around with the  all-in-one cutters. Now all i have to do is dust them red and my topper will be ready.  i will send u a pic of the topper when its done. 

thank you . will . i would wait for them to dry to , after that beautiful work i would not want them to get messed up , , i realy will check out there cuttersn thiswke , thanks so much for sharing , thanks for liking my cakes and sugar works ,
monica murphy said:

the all-in-one cutters i purchased were from WWW.sugarcraft.com. But recently i purchased the new gumpaste flower cutter set from Wilton, i got it at MICHAELS CRAFT(with a 50% off coupon) it is GREAT, it has all these cutters in them, and instruction booklet, also impression mats, check it out.  That saves alot of money. When you work with the flowers you said they fall apart, could it be the gumpaste recipe you are using, or maybe u have rolled the center to thin.  After i have rolled and vein my petals then i thin the edges so that the thickness is in the middle, this way the flower wont break apart on the wires. Also a good tip is when you are using cutters to put the gumpaste over the top of the cutter and roll over the top of it, this helps keep the shape better.  I was thinking about putting up a tutorial on these two flowers i just need to find my camera battery.  One thing, you might be handling it to soon, mayb they need to dry longer. I have seen ur cakes n u r AWESOME, so u will do just fine with the cutters.  but really check out the wilton's set, they really stepped up their gumpaste cutters. if you do wanna get them dont forget to print out the coupon

The carnation is the only flower i cannot do, i cant for the life of me figure that one out, and i have the all-in-one carnation cutter, im just brain dead when it comes to carnations. When i meet with a bride, im praying,like LORD please dont let her ask for carnations,LOL!!!! i know i have to sit down and learn them, they are my nemesis just like the parrot tulip was but i overcame them so must i the carnation. If you can use the carnation cutter , i know you will do fine with the other cutters, u may just have to make a minor adjustment.

going to try a gardenia . ! i never see the 2 in 1 cutters , every time i try working with any of my cutters , the flowers fall apart on me ? i cant fig ? well 2 marro morning i will try a gardina ! oh wait , the only cutter i did have luck with is the carnation , !

I've seen a couple of different ways to do carnations.  I've only done the Wilton's method which is pretty easy.  Here are the directions if you want to take a look. http://www.wilton.com/technique/Gum-Paste-Carnation--my first fondant cake was decorated with the carnations I made.

monica murphy said:

The carnation is the only flower i cannot do, i cant for the life of me figure that one out, and i have the all-in-one carnation cutter, im just brain dead when it comes to carnations. When i meet with a bride, im praying,like LORD please dont let her ask for carnations,LOL!!!! i know i have to sit down and learn them, they are my nemesis just like the parrot tulip was but i overcame them so must i the carnation. If you can use the carnation cutter , i know you will do fine with the other cutters, u may just have to make a minor adjustment.

going to try a gardenia . ! i never see the 2 in 1 cutters , every time i try working with any of my cutters , the flowers fall apart on me ? i cant fig ? well 2 marro morning i will try a gardina ! oh wait , the only cutter i did have luck with is the carnation , !

thnx you, gonna take a look at it

Goreti said:

I've seen a couple of different ways to do carnations.  I've only done the Wilton's method which is pretty easy.  Here are the directions if you want to take a look. http://www.wilton.com/technique/Gum-Paste-Carnation--my first fondant cake was decorated with the carnations I made.

monica murphy said:

I was taught a pretty easy way. Cut out four circles with your carnation cutter. Pinch each circle from the bottom up. Join each circle together will corn syrup/gumpaste glue.
Hope this makes sense Monica.

thanks june, imma try the carnation

June Kowalczyk said:

I was taught a pretty easy way. Cut out four circles with your carnation cutter. Pinch each circle from the bottom up. Join each circle together will corn syrup/gumpaste glue.
Hope this makes sense Monica.
By the way, I use chalk too. I don't like the kind I have. Was given them. Was just at Michael's today, & never thought about looking for chalk their. Will look next time I am their. By the way, I signed up for the sugar flower tutorial @ Crafty.com. It is a great site. Got 50% off by signing up through blog Cake Journal!!

oh wow, im glad u did, it is awesome to be able to have the instructor right there and to be able to recap any time you want. I didnt take that class because i already had those flowers on dvd, but i did sign up for another and i want to see what colette peters will be teaching.  The next time you are in michaels craft, the pastels should be in the artist section, in the store where i go they had it in the middle isles.  You will like the artist pastels, they are a better qualitity than regular sidewalk chalk, i have some sidewalk chalk and the artist pastels are smoother and go on easier with better coverage. I purchased one from michaels craft and another from acmoore craft, they had different shades of color. I needed alot of purple for the cake topper flowers.

June Kowalczyk said:

By the way, I use chalk too. I don't like the kind I have. Was given them. Was just at Michael's today, & never thought about looking for chalk their. Will look next time I am their. By the way, I signed up for the sugar flower tutorial @ Crafty.com. It is a great site. Got 50% off by signing up through blog Cake Journal!!

here's the pic of the topper, i have parrot tulips, ranunculus,peruvian lillies and hydrangea(green and white). i will be making a lavendar wedding cake with string work.

i am sure you'l do an awesome job ! cant wait to see .

Monica,

That topper looks gorgeous.  What a great job!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service