Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

So I went and checked out some of the Duff Goldman products at Michael's yesterday - what they had out.  They were still stocking the shelves and redoing the aisle (thank goodness they still had all the cake circles and bases out - that's what I really needed).  Anyway - my first comment is that the stuff is way expensive - $19.99 for 2 lbs. of colored fondant! And $10.99 for what I think was 2 lbs. of frosting.  The sprays were $4.49.  I did get a can of the silver graffiti spray, but had my daughter buy it and use my 40% off coupon.  I can't attest for the quality, but the prices dos seem a little high. Especially considering you can get 2 lbs. of Satin Ice fondant for under $10 online

Views: 4358

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I didn't even know Duff was coming out with a line of products. They do seem a bit pricey though, I probably won't use much of his stuff. I looked at some of it on Michel's website though and the color sprays look interesting...I might give those a try.
I agree with Theresa. I was there today also and everything is out now. I'll stick to my 5-lb bucket of Satin Ice for $14.29. Every now and then I'll mix it with Wilton and the taste blends well together.
Diana, can I ask where you get your Satin Ice from and how much is shipping? Thanks!

Diana Viera said:
I agree with Theresa. I was there today also and everything is out now. I'll stick to my 5-lb bucket of Satin Ice for $14.29. Every now and then I'll mix it with Wilton and the taste blends well together.
cakesupplies4u.com

They are great and delivery is fast. For three 5-lb buckets of fondant in different colors plus a beater, the shipping came out to $14.58. You can't beat that price!!!
I'm with you all the way Gretchen... I only use Satin Ice just because of the time involved in making fondant.... and the mess... and the unknown if it does not turn out and I have a huge wedding cake to do. I order mine because we do not have anywhere around here to buy it from. And Theresa I am with you on the premade icing... ewe... just always has a chemical taste to it. As for Wilton Fondant... I'll believe it when pigs fly! They will have to redo their entire recipe because the old stuff is just nasty in my opinion... they give fondant a bad name!
Holly, I see you are on the West Coast... try the Ultimate Baker in Spokane WA... I believe the website is cooksdream.com I get mine there in 20 lb buckets and the shipping is less that from GSA. I end up paying about $15 to $20 a bucket higher from the East Coast

Holly Kasowski said:
Diana, can I ask where you get your Satin Ice from and how much is shipping? Thanks!

Diana Viera said:
I was told the Duff Fondant is Satin Ice. It seem a realible source.
I did purchase Duff's fondant...I had a 50% off coupon, so take it easy on me! I hardly ever use fondant, thought it'd be nice to have a tub around to play with. I've had the Wilton, gross, I haven't had Satin Ice, so I can't compare, BUT Duff's tastes really good and is easy to work with. I have not tried kneeding color into it yet though.
I used the red black and white buttercream fondant. Easy to work with, tastes great, but expensive.
Me too! I used Wilton for a cake this weekend and it was horrible!

jeri c said:
I buy my fondant in the 20 lb buckets so don't think I will be looking at Michaels for it. I'd hate to see what 20 lbs of Duff's fondant would cost... and I'd die before I ever use Wilton again. :-)
I was at Michaels in Escondido, Ca. today and saw the Duff products on the shelf. Had not been at Michaels in a couple of weeks and was surprised to see the products. I was shocked to see the fondant at $19.99. I had to look twice because I thought I had read incorrectly. I love the Ace of Cakes but I would make my own fondant before I would pay that much for a small can of Duff's product. I really do not want to pay for a name. I enjoy his show but I also enjoy other shows like Rachel Ray and I don't buy her expensice items either.
Hey Grace! That Michael's is where I took my Wilton classes 7 years ago. :) I'm in Wisconsin now, but it brought back a ton of memories when you mentioned that store. ♥

Grace P.Sloan said:
I was at Michaels in Escondido, Ca. today and saw the Duff products on the shelf. Had not been at Michaels in a couple of weeks and was surprised to see the products. I was shocked to see the fondant at $19.99. I had to look twice because I thought I had read incorrectly. I love the Ace of Cakes but I would make my own fondant before I would pay that much for a small can of Duff's product. I really do not want to pay for a name. I enjoy his show but I also enjoy other shows like Rachel Ray and I don't buy her expensice items either.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service