Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

So... I'm thinking about buying one of those Cricut Cakes.  I saw them at Michael's for $399.00!!! However,I think my husband would kill me if I spent that much! =) But I wanted to know, does anyone have one? And if so, is it really worth the money? I mean, does it really do like it is advertised??? I think if it does what it is supposed to, you can really create some BEAUTIFUL cakes, but I'm a bit nervous spending that kind of money! Would love to see what you all think, since many of you have been in the "cake decorating world" for a long time and am sure have some great suggestions!

 

Thanks!

~Diana~

Views: 1171

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have one and purchased it the day it cake out. I wish that I would have waited. It is very hard to get perfect cuts and to get your fondant or gumpaste just perfect is hard as well. I will usually freeze what ever I'm working with GP or MMF to get a perfect cut. I wish that I would have just purchased molds, cutters and stensils to work with. It is a nice machine but I would never pay the $400 again. Along with that I purchased Elegant and basic cake cartridges. I love the basic cartridge Elegant is just ok.
Thanks Shannon!!! Hmmm... something to think about, for sure! I think I may still buy one, but wait a while until they are a bit cheaper (but I'm scared they will be discontinued when I am ready to actually buy one)... It's quite frustrating because I have so many ideas on how to decorate my cakes, but I have a very basic and limited collection of cake supplies/deco/cut-outs. Especially the different "fonts" I want to be able to use when adding messages to my cakes. The arts and crafts supply stores here are very limited and it drives me bonkers!!! I hear sugarcraft.com is a good one. Maybe I can find the machine a bit cheaper somewhere else! I'm sorry to sound ignorant, but what do you mean when you say "Elegant and basic cake cartridges"? You mean for the Cricut? So all in all, are you pretty happy with it?

Shannon K Orona said:
I have one and purchased it the day it cake out. I wish that I would have waited. It is very hard to get perfect cuts and to get your fondant or gumpaste just perfect is hard as well. I will usually freeze what ever I'm working with GP or MMF to get a perfect cut. I wish that I would have just purchased molds, cutters and stensils to work with. It is a nice machine but I would never pay the $400 again. Along with that I purchased Elegant and basic cake cartridges. I love the basic cartridge Elegant is just ok.
It's ok like I said I wouldn't purchase again if I new how hard it was going to be to get perfect cuts. I know what you mean about the local cake decorating shops. Check ebay, craigslist and Amazon if you are serious and still want to purchase I've seen them on Craigslist for about $180 and the others for $289. Oh yes, the Elegant and basics are the cartridges for the cricut. I've also used a few others from my scrapbooking cricut. One of the best places to get molds and different things is Global Sugar Art. I love that site..
Good luck if you do get the cricut.

Diana said:
Thanks Shannon!!! Hmmm... something to think about, for sure! I think I may still buy one, but wait a while until they are a bit cheaper (but I'm scared they will be discontinued when I am ready to actually buy one)... It's quite frustrating because I have so many ideas on how to decorate my cakes, but I have a very basic and limited collection of cake supplies/deco/cut-outs. Especially the different "fonts" I want to be able to use when adding messages to my cakes. The arts and crafts supply stores here are very limited and it drives me bonkers!!! I hear sugarcraft.com is a good one. Maybe I can find the machine a bit cheaper somewhere else! I'm sorry to sound ignorant, but what do you mean when you say "Elegant and basic cake cartridges"? You mean for the Cricut? So all in all, are you pretty happy with it?

Shannon K Orona said:
I have one and purchased it the day it cake out. I wish that I would have waited. It is very hard to get perfect cuts and to get your fondant or gumpaste just perfect is hard as well. I will usually freeze what ever I'm working with GP or MMF to get a perfect cut. I wish that I would have just purchased molds, cutters and stensils to work with. It is a nice machine but I would never pay the $400 again. Along with that I purchased Elegant and basic cake cartridges. I love the basic cartridge Elegant is just ok.
I saw your comment on my cut outs.... I got mine from HSN, it is like 6 payments or what ever. I don't even feel like I paid that much, but I did. I am really liking it. I had trouble at first getting just the right medium to cut on. Gumpaste? Fondant? Never really worked with it before. I took the new Wilton Gumpaste, Fondant class and now like using those. I have started mixing the Gumpaste and fondant and roll it very thin and it cuts great. I let the cutouts dry and then they are easier to fool with, especially the more detailed cuts. But so far I love it, but I never really used cut outs and fondant that much before to compare if they are better or not. Like I said I am really liking it, go look on HSN and see the price and bundles they may have, I know when I got mine in April I believe it came with 2 cartidges.
If you can, take a class with Linda McClure before buying one. You won't regret it. Linda is the person who pioneered decorating with the Cricut.
Thanks everyone! It helps to get different opinions and advice from those who own the Cricuts! Kyla, how would I go about taking a class with Linda McClure? I live in AR... does she have a website? I need to look into it. I kinda feel, in a way, it's cheating using the Cricut, but I cannot deny how BEAUTIFUL some of these cakes end up looking!
Gretchen- I will check out HSN!
Shannon- Thank you so much for your input!!! :-) I'll have to look at Ebay and Craigslist again. The last time I looked, no bueno... :-(
Here is Linda's website for classes. If you have other decorators in your area, I'm sure she'd probably come to AR.

http://www.creativedesignsclasses.com/
Thanks so much, Kyla!!!
Hi Diana, you may want to read this discussion:

http://www.cakeswebake.com/forum/topics/its-arrivedour-cricut-cake?...
Man she is doing a class where I live, but it is the advance $400 class. It is really cool you get for $400 but I would rather the Basic class. I wonder if I could get 10 people to do a basic class.

Kyla Myers said:
Here is Linda's website for classes. If you have other decorators in your area, I'm sure she'd probably come to AR.

http://www.creativedesignsclasses.com/
Gretchen, if you can rustle up 8-10 people I bet she'd teach the basic course, too.

Gretchen Belsome said:
Man she is doing a class where I live, but it is the advance $400 class. It is really cool you get for $400 but I would rather the Basic class. I wonder if I could get 10 people to do a basic class.

Kyla Myers said:
Here is Linda's website for classes. If you have other decorators in your area, I'm sure she'd probably come to AR.

http://www.creativedesignsclasses.com/
My neighbor just bought one and has played with it (and said I can too - yaay!), but after only 3 evenings of testing, she's texting me pics of the most perfect and intricate cuts!!! I have the Cricut (for paper) and its takes some practice, so I'm so amazed at how good shes done already. I get to borrow it tomorrow!!! :) I'll post pics. If they turn out! lol

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2022   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service