Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Hi there!  I just landed my first wedding cake and they'd like celtic knots and celtic hearts on it... in piped buttercream.  I just gave it a whirl to practice and feel completely defeated.  I've searched the web, and I don't see ANY that are all buttercream - any ideas out there?  They don't want any fondant or gumpaste on the cake at all... should I say no to the request, or should I buy maybe a silicone mold and try chocolate decorations?  I'd love to hear from you!

~H

Views: 1480

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Holly,

How about piping them onto greaseproof paper and freezing them. Once frozen you can transfer them. I know there are a few people on this site that have posted video's on this method (Wes & Jackie i think are one of them)

Hope that helps. Happy Christmas.

Tracy xx

what about marzipan? Not that either?

Thank you so much for replying!  Piping these kinds of things in any medium is just not going to fly, because they are knots... they need to fold under and over eachother, and when we pipe, it's done in one layer at a time... I I can't pipe a buttercream circle and then pipe the triangles over and under it.  I've never worked with marzipan, is it like fondant where I can manipulate it?

Yup! You really shouldn't have any trouble using it, if you dust the mold with some corn starch or powdered sugar. It just won't be pure white when you make it. Marzipan is more of a fleshy/light tannish color. It tastes wonderful! If you don't want to use that, you could use candy melts.

Holly F said:

Thank you so much for replying!  Piping these kinds of things in any medium is just not going to fly, because they are knots... they need to fold under and over eachother, and when we pipe, it's done in one layer at a time... I I can't pipe a buttercream circle and then pipe the triangles over and under it.  I've never worked with marzipan, is it like fondant where I can manipulate it?

You can use molds for buttercream?!  I had no idea!  How?

Hey Laney!  I was actually talking about adding a molded chocolate piece, or a molded fondant piece onto a buttercream cake as an accent - but I did get to thinking about this... if I used a buttercream that was completely a butter recipe.. I wonder if I piped it into a silicone mold and froze it.. if I'd be able to pop it back out and apply it to the cake before it became too soft... it's an idea atleast.  Let me know if you try it - it'll take me a while to get there.  Hugs! ~Holly

I can't see why you couldn't use buttercream in shallow molds for knots, especially in the flexible silicon moulds. Many of the moulds I use are also rated for extremes in temperature as well so can also be used for chocolate or isomalt!

I wondered about freezing it.  It's worth a try!  I'm always open to new techniques.

Holly you're absolutely right about having to get the over and under right. I have seen some terrible celtic knotwork, and knotwork moulds for cakework are few and far between. Definitely not a thing to pipe easily freehand.
I'd give one of the flexible moulds a go and see how it works out for you, you say you're willing to try chocolate which would work beautifully in one of these moulds, especially since you can go from hot melted chocolate to the freezer and not affect the mould!
Let us know how you get on; oh and pics too please!
I used some moulds for this cake I did. They're very shallow and easy to use.
http://www.cakeswebake.com/photo/moon-and-stars-cake-2?context=user 

Bettina! I should be so lucky to have such great Celtic knots! I ordered the same one! Very excited, will post as soon as I can! Wedding is February11th!

Here is a link to a cladaugh cake I did. I used chocolate fondant and blue candy melts. I also did 200 mini cupcakes. I used chocolate covered pretzels wrapped a chocolate fondant ribbon and placed a blue candy melt heart.

I know it's not what you're looking for but thought I'd share it with you.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1009566652538.1404.1626132...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service