Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

The last edition of the Cake Central Magazine has a tutorial on cake pops. The instructions are to dip the cake pops in chocolate melts for that smooth, pretty effect. Is there something else that we can use? I thought about pouring fondant? What do you think?

Views: 376

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

and did you use poured fondant or cut rounds?

art deco cakes by galidink said:

iv used fondant also and i like it better than the chocolate also , and you also can do the same with the chocolate clay , i did post a pic of some way back ,, the blue with purple sanding sugar on them,  

Sorry Sandra
RCT } rice crispie treats.

Sandra I. Vazquez Lossiseroni said:

June...(what is rct's) lol...but whatever it is... I think I'm sold in covering with circles of fondant.  My cakepops are not the little ones,,,I am baking 24 mini cupcakes.  I did not want to use my little cakepop machine, those are really tiny.  (I have not used it yet, because of that) SOOOOO, THANK YOU!!!  

June Kowalczyk said:

Well

It is a a battle of the "easy" between me & Meera....  hee hee. I personally like the idea of covering in fondant. Like I said, same principal as round balls of rct's. You can hide the seam on the bottom of the pop.  Too me this is much faster. You cut out your rounds...bing, bing, bing. Then start covering. When you have so much other stuff to do, cake wise, for the wedding, this might just be less stressful.  Just sayin....   :o)

I used my medium size round cutter to do mine. If I need larger, I have 3 graduated sizes of bisciut cutters.

Sandra I did some in fondant too (June's choc mmf) - a pic is posted on my page.  I didn't do them on sticks, but the join was covered when the cakes were put on a plate.  Knowing what a neat person you are, I know you will make a fine job of covering in fondant.  You do also get a much smoother finish if you're not well practised in the dipping technique.

http://www.cakeswebake.com/photo/choc-mmf-cakeballs?context=user

I didn't put my chocolate covered cake pops on a stick either, but in a reusable plastic christmas container.  But it is much, much easier to hide the "seam"/"crease" and get a smooth finish using fondant. Much trickier with melted chcocolate....trust me I tried. It can be done.... but such a pain!!!!

Well, well, well, I wanted to give you an update on those little cake pops. Of course I read the instructions (I always do). It says bake a cake and crumble it. But... Noooo....I went and bought a 24 mini muffin pan to do them, (not to say that I already have a new of those little pops machine-but they are so tiny). I wanted big balls. Ok, so the mini muffins, I baked 48, put them back to back and did 24 mini barrels, very cute, but not what I was looking for. So we decided I was going to use fondant, right? Wrong...it was going to be very difficult...and I did not have the time. So, chocolate it is.. Well, Gail, I really needed those "flakes", omg...it was thick, it was awful to work with. Needless to say, I was not a ver happy girl last night. Mind you, I did my research, watched videos, follow all of your suggestions, (but Gail's-no time to order that). So I baked a chocolate cake, follow the suggestions on her video (Bakerella) got my 24 cake balls ready. Melted more chocolate again, and I thought everything was going perfect, but not at all. After the chocolate was set, they started cracking, they looked like eggs hatching...lol. HATE doesn't describe how I feel towards them right now. With new perfect round cake pops I should have done the fondant...but I don't think I will ever make the again. End of the story,

AW SORRY,! THAT CHOCOLATE HAS THAT LITTLE TRICK TO THEM TO GET THEM NICE , I COULDNT DO THEM WITHOUT THE FLAKES, I MADE A MESS OF THEM TILL I PURCHASED THE FLAKES, THATS WHY I DID THE BLUE ONES IN FONDANT , EVEN FONDAT AND CHOCOLATE CLAY WORKED BETTER , ONE THING THEYNMEVER TELL YOU , IS YOU NEED THE FLAKES FOR A NICE SMOTH FINISH , AT LEAST I DO LOL, I WOULD HAVE WRAPED THEM AGAIN WITH FONDANT , LOL

I was thinking about you all the time, if I would have asked with enough time...oh well, for the next time...ohhh nooo, there will be no next time, lol. I don't know why I can't use my iPad to uploads photos, but I posted a picture on Facebook.
So sorry Sandra you had trouble. I didn't realize you were making the original "crumbled" cake cake pops. I only used fondant on the cake pops baked in the cake pop tin. My daughter used merkens white chocolate, & we had no trouble dipping them. They did have to be dipped twice tho for proper coverage. The ones I made at Christmas, I cheated & added crush Oreo cookies & cream cheese for extra binding with the chocolate cake. & icing. Stuck them in the freezer for 10-15 min. Then used two spoons to roll them around in the melted chocolate. I could have put sticks in them, but wanted them in pretty Christmas containers. It was a little messy to do, but not too bad. I've never heard of the flakes, will have to ask Gail. So you won't make again, eh ?? Never say never!!
Lol, June. I was not going to do neither, not the original crumbled cake, not the ones in the cake pop tin (I'm guessing you refer to the purple one-lol). I used a mini muffin pan...so the end result was a small 'something'. They are on my page, Royal Romance so you can laugh at my 'cake balls'. Lol
Weird Sandra
Nothing is coming up on your page. Says you posted pics if your pops, but I can't see them. I tried to find them on your FB page, but couldn't find them their either?? Too tired to look now. Off to bed I go & will look tomorrow. :0)
Night, night June, ...me too.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service