Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Some of you may have already read in the news that Buddy Valastro is teaming up with Dawn Foods to distribute frozen fondant covered cakes to grocery stores.


Those of you who are already feeling the pain justifying your pricing with customers comparing you to Costco and Walmart, get ready!

Chances are, for shipping purposes, these frozen cakes will have to have pretty flat decorations and are likely not to be very sophisticated. I know one of the designs is a cake I've seen on his show which features stacked cut-outs of 5 petal flowers all over the cake.


But, I do think bakeries and home cake decorators are going to be facing competition with these less expensive cakes.

So, it's time to do some brainstorming. Please add your thoughts below.

Views: 997

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am not too worried about Buddy and his mass production frozen cakes. They will be popular at first, it is the "cake boss" and it is new. The masses will clear them off of the shelves. Quickly the fad will pass and people will stop spending their money on a subpar frozen product they find on the grocery store shelf. More than likely, like the Duff Goldman product line, it will be over priced just acceptable quality products.

I trust that the people that come to me will see that this is the case and will return to me for their cake needs.

What do I tell people when they ask how to store their fondant cake before serving...? NO FRIDGE! The condensation as it thaws/warms up dissolves the sugar. Decorations wilt and/or slide off. Colors run. That said, I think the debut time of these cakes is interesting. The weather is cooler and drier in most areas. Considering the moisture issues, I think they are trying to be a little tricky. The current weather won't have as much condensation when thawing as in the summer.

They have a cardboard standee of Buddy in our Stop & Shop. Getting looks and peaking interest. I think the hype will die down pretty quick. Especially when it warms up again and people's cake start melting before they can even light the candles.

My bigger issue is Costco. People get their cakes for parties I've been invited to and it make me crazy! They think ALL I do are crazy sculpted cakes. Please, stop buying chemical-laden, pure shortening & preservative ick people! If all you want is a "cheap sheet cake"... I will make you one that looks just like that but is at least edible!!! Besides, Costco doesn't need the money. I really do!!!

I made this e-card a while ago... says it all. I think you should all share it and make it viral on FB!!!  ;)

Attachments:

thats funny , love it

Hear, hear!

Jen Montalto said:

What do I tell people when they ask how to store their fondant cake before serving...? NO FRIDGE! The condensation as it thaws/warms up dissolves the sugar. Decorations wilt and/or slide off. Colors run. That said, I think the debut time of these cakes is interesting. The weather is cooler and drier in most areas. Considering the moisture issues, I think they are trying to be a little tricky. The current weather won't have as much condensation when thawing as in the summer.

They have a cardboard standee of Buddy in our Stop & Shop. Getting looks and peaking interest. I think the hype will die down pretty quick. Especially when it warms up again and people's cake start melting before they can even light the candles.

My bigger issue is Costco. People get their cakes for parties I've been invited to and it make me crazy! They think ALL I do are crazy sculpted cakes. Please, stop buying chemical-laden, pure shortening & preservative ick people! If all you want is a "cheap sheet cake"... I will make you one that looks just like that but is at least edible!!! Besides, Costco doesn't need the money. I really do!!!

LUV IT JEN, HAHA, you made my day,i couldnt have said it better!!!


 
Jen Montalto said:

What do I tell people when they ask how to store their fondant cake before serving...? NO FRIDGE! The condensation as it thaws/warms up dissolves the sugar. Decorations wilt and/or slide off. Colors run. That said, I think the debut time of these cakes is interesting. The weather is cooler and drier in most areas. Considering the moisture issues, I think they are trying to be a little tricky. The current weather won't have as much condensation when thawing as in the summer.

They have a cardboard standee of Buddy in our Stop & Shop. Getting looks and peaking interest. I think the hype will die down pretty quick. Especially when it warms up again and people's cake start melting before they can even light the candles.

My bigger issue is Costco. People get their cakes for parties I've been invited to and it make me crazy! They think ALL I do are crazy sculpted cakes. Please, stop buying chemical-laden, pure shortening & preservative ick people! If all you want is a "cheap sheet cake"... I will make you one that looks just like that but is at least edible!!! Besides, Costco doesn't need the money. I really do!!!

Love it! I want to post it on Facebook! .... actually, I just did  :)

Jen Montalto said:

I made this e-card a while ago... says it all. I think you should all share it and make it viral on FB!!!  ;)

I actually got a really nasty comment to it, which I deleted.

seriously? some people!!!



Theresa Happe said:

I actually got a really nasty comment to it, which I deleted.

some people cant handle the truth , i guess , lol , but after they taste that stuff from the stores , they will , lol , there is no way that them frozon cakes , can even come closs to the home made cakes or the decorating on them , no way ! they will get what they pay for ,when they get them from the freezer  , yucky !even if you order a cake from a store , its still not fresh , beleve me , i worked in shoprite cake decorating , thats all frozon stuff( all ), and its stock piled !when you get a sale means its realy old ,

Well not all grocery stores are alike. I happen to know for a fact that the bakery at the grocery store I shop at bakes their cakes fresh everyday. Now I know it is from cake mix, but it is still fresh made. They make their own icing too. I don't particulary like it, too greasy for me, but they still do make it fresh everyday. My son use to work in the bakery dept when he was in highschool.  He didn't work in that area, put out the bread, buns, etc. on the shelves,  but he knew the decorators. So I know they made fresh.

90% of them do ! i know they bake the frozon breads and dohnuts , and glaze the cakes and dohnuts , cookies  they bake from frozon also , and the lemon pies , we did them also but ever thing came in frozon ! and that stuff was so yucky , the only thing that was good was the breads

June Kowalczyk said:

Well not all grocery stores are alike. I happen to know for a fact that the bakery at the grocery store I shop at bakes their cakes fresh everyday. Now I know it is from cake mix, but it is still fresh made. They make their own icing too. I don't particulary like it, too greasy for me, but they still do make it fresh everyday. My son use to work in the bakery dept when he was in highschool.  He didn't work in that area, put out the bread, buns, etc. on the shelves,  but he knew the decorators. So I know they made fresh.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2021   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service