Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Hello

 

Just wondering if anyone can give me a good recipe for Buttercream.

 

Thanks 

Views: 700

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

1/2 c butter
1/2 c veg shortning
1 T pure vanilla
1 t butter flavor
1 T maringue powder
4 c powdered sugar
heavy cream 2-3 T or desired consistancy
Hi Carly
Thanks for adding me as a friend. Thankyou also for the recipe. I will definately give it ago.
Melissa

carly rangel said:
1/2 c butter
1/2 c veg shortning
1 T pure vanilla
1 t butter flavor
1 T maringue powder
4 c powdered sugar
heavy cream 2-3 T or desired consistancy
Carly, is there a difference between pure vanilla & vanilla extract? is pure vanilla a specialty item? I havent seen it in the stores, like walmart, course I wasnt looking for it either. thanks Jennifer

carly rangel said:
1/2 c butter
1/2 c veg shortning
1 T pure vanilla
1 t butter flavor
1 T maringue powder
4 c powdered sugar
heavy cream 2-3 T or desired consistancy
Melissa, you will find there are many, many variations of BC. Everyone has there favorite based on their taste and performance preference. I'm still experimenting on mine. I've done the Wilton BC, IndyDeb's and now I'm sold on Sharon Zambito's recipe. There are also Swiss Meringue BC & Italian Meringue BC - these require cooking. I've haven't tried either style but some swear by them.

Here's what I have tried--

Wilton BC
1c shortening (must have trans fat)
1lb powdered sugar
1T meringue powder
4-6T water (depending on the consistency you desire)
1-1/2t flavoring


Indydebi’s Crisco-Based Buttercream Icing
1-1/3 cups Cricso
1/3 to 1/2 cup milk, depending on consistency needed
3 Tbsp powdered Dream Whip (*)
2-3 Tbsp clear vanilla, depending on your personal taste
2 lbs powdered sugar

(*) A powdered whipped topping mix made by Kraft Foods, usually found in the cake/sugar aisle in the grocery.

Instructions
There’s no wrong way to mix this. I usually mix all but the powdered sugar for a minute or two, then gradually add the sugar, but the only reason I did this was to avoid the “sugar-splash” factor. The longer the mixer runs, the smoother it gets. Sifting the powdered sugar before blending helps with smoothness but is not necessary.


Sharon Zambito's
5c shortening (she recommend Sweetex brand but I've used store brand with trans fats and had good results)
5lbs powdered sugar
11-12T HOT coffee creamer
4T flavoring

There is a method to mixing her BC and you can adjust the ingredients to match the capacity of your mixer. Watch her on You Tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB4ibkH0V_4
Jennifer - Pure vanilla extract is made from vanilla beans and an alcohol like vodka. Madagascar Bourban (bean type) is probably the best of the commonly found vanillas and you can find it at the grocery store. It is more expensive but soooo much better than the imitation vanilla. I make my own vanilla and it is better than the store bought!
Hi Deah

Thankyou so much for the recipes. I am try to find one that I like to work with . I have a recipe that I have used but watching on Youtube on how to ice the cake with baking paper to get it nice and smooth, well my cing just sticks to the paper with the recipe I was using and I can never seems to get it nice and think and smooth.

I am definately going to try these recipes and hopefully one of them will be just right for me.

Thankyou all again, it is much appreciated.

Melissa
Deah Aldridge said:
Melissa, you will find there are many, many variations of BC. Everyone has there favorite based on their taste and performance preference. I'm still experimenting on mine. I've done the Wilton BC, IndyDeb's and now I'm sold on Sharon Zambito's recipe. There are also Swiss Meringue BC & Italian Meringue BC - these require cooking. I've haven't tried either style but some swear by them.

Here's what I have tried--

Wilton BC
1c shortening (must have trans fat)
1lb powdered sugar
1T meringue powder
4-6T water (depending on the consistency you desire)
1-1/2t flavoring


Indydebi’s Crisco-Based Buttercream Icing
1-1/3 cups Cricso
1/3 to 1/2 cup milk, depending on consistency needed
3 Tbsp powdered Dream Whip (*)
2-3 Tbsp clear vanilla, depending on your personal taste
2 lbs powdered sugar

(*) A powdered whipped topping mix made by Kraft Foods, usually found in the cake/sugar aisle in the grocery.

Instructions
There’s no wrong way to mix this. I usually mix all but the powdered sugar for a minute or two, then gradually add the sugar, but the only reason I did this was to avoid the “sugar-splash” factor. The longer the mixer runs, the smoother it gets. Sifting the powdered sugar before blending helps with smoothness but is not necessary.


Sharon Zambito's
5c shortening (she recommend Sweetex brand but I've used store brand with trans fats and had good results)
5lbs powdered sugar
11-12T HOT coffee creamer
4T flavoring

There is a method to mixing her BC and you can adjust the ingredients to match the capacity of your mixer. Watch her on You Tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB4ibkH0V_4
Hi Melissa! My favorite one is as follows:

Ingredientes

100 grams shortening
100 grams buterr with out salt
90 grams philadelphia cream cheese
1 1/2 spoons of merengue dust
5 ml vanilla flavor with out color
1 kg confetioners sugar
60 ml whipped cream or milk
uppps my baby send it before finishing...continue

first cream together the shortening and butter, then the philadelphia cream cheese, add the merengue powder softly to avoid clouds of merengue all over the place, then the vanilla extract, the milk or whipped cream and finally the confetioners sugar. the flavor is great soft and sweet.

Have a great day, Gaby
Gaby said:
Hi Melissa! My favorite one is as follows:

Ingredientes

100 grams shortening
100 grams buterr with out salt
90 grams philadelphia cream cheese
1 1/2 spoons of merengue dust
5 ml vanilla flavor with out color
1 kg confetioners sugar
60 ml whipped cream or milk
Hi Gaby
Thankyou, this sounds like a good one to try as well. My little recipe I had is nothing like the ones posted on here. I am guessing that is why it never looked as nice as other cakes I have seen. Definately want one with a soft flavour as some icings can be too sweet and end up sickly.

Thankyou again.

Melissa

Gaby said:
uppps my baby send it before finishing...continue

first cream together the shortening and butter, then the philadelphia cream cheese, add the merengue powder softly to avoid clouds of merengue all over the place, then the vanilla extract, the milk or whipped cream and finally the confetioners sugar. the flavor is great soft and sweet.

Have a great day, Gaby
Gaby said:
Hi Melissa! My favorite one is as follows:

Ingredientes

100 grams shortening
100 grams buterr with out salt
90 grams philadelphia cream cheese
1 1/2 spoons of merengue dust
5 ml vanilla flavor with out color
1 kg confetioners sugar
60 ml whipped cream or milk
This is the recipe I use and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE. It's from Serious Cakes on Youtube. It is mostly butter. My only advice would be that you not put all the liquid in at the same time. I usually start with one or two tablespoons of the cream and then wait til the end to see what my consistancy is before I add more liquid. Sometimes you don't even need the whole amount. That's my 2 cents...good luck with your cake!!

Buttercream Frosting
Ingredients
22 tbs salted butter, softened (about 3 sticks)
2/3 c. Crisco shortening
5-8 tbs heavy cream
2 tsp clear vanilla
2 lbs powdered sugar (about 8 cups)
1-3 tbs corn syrup
Instructions
Cream together butter and shortening until smooth. Slowly add 2 tsp. vanilla and 5 tbs. heavy cream. Gradually add the powdered sugar and scrape down the bowl very well once it’s all added. Slowly add more cream and corn syrup a tbs at a time until frosting reaches desired consistency.
it is very easy to find, walmart I'm sure does have it, cost a lot more but worth it! I need to ask Deah how she makes her own! I'm sure it's AWSOME!

Jennifer Ponder said:
Carly, is there a difference between pure vanilla & vanilla extract? is pure vanilla a specialty item? I havent seen it in the stores, like walmart, course I wasnt looking for it either. thanks Jennifer

carly rangel said:
1/2 c butter
1/2 c veg shortning
1 T pure vanilla
1 t butter flavor
1 T maringue powder
4 c powdered sugar
heavy cream 2-3 T or desired consistancy
May I ask how you make your own? I bet it's DELISH!

Deah Aldridge said:
Jennifer - Pure vanilla extract is made from vanilla beans and an alcohol like vodka. Madagascar Bourban (bean type) is probably the best of the commonly found vanillas and you can find it at the grocery store. It is more expensive but soooo much better than the imitation vanilla. I make my own vanilla and it is better than the store bought!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2021   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service