Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

I would like to make a 3-tier cake covered in black fondant, I was looking at buying the satin ice black fondant but its pricey, does anyone else buy this? I'm wondering if there is a good place to get it that might be cheaper, or if there are any other suggestions, I looked on Amazon.

Views: 539

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You'll love it Denise ....it really, really does taste like tootsie rolls.
Next time you need to spray, go to the grocery store/Costco and get the biggest , deepest box you can find. Turn the box on its side, slide your cake into in the box, I use wax paper or parchment paper under the cake. Easier to pull cake back out of the box when done. Spray the cake, use wax paper to pull and rotate the cake, continue until the whole cake is done. Wa la, no mess...spray goes into the box, and the top of the box catches the mist. I have large box in my basement that I use just for that. That Wilton colour mist does seem to go everywhere!! And when it gets to yucky, I get another box, and put the old one in the recycling....

another great tip! :-)

And DO NOT forget to wear a mask! lol  Experience speaking, or lack thereof...  lol

What an awesome tip June!! Thanks so much :-)

I put my fondant covered cakes in a box on its end, when in the fridge, with the opening facing the door, just slide it in, and no moisture lands on it that way.

Yes, Bonnie, good tip, I forgot that little tidbit...I have surgical masks & gloves from when I worked. I also tie my hair up and put on a bandana...I once used my shower cap, cause I couldn't find my scarf...didn't feel like washing out my hair of pink colour mist!!! I wish I had room for a box in my fridge Bonnie, but alas, only one fridge....would have to pull out several shelves to do that....not happening!!

Yes, I totally agree about the mask...now. I didn't wear one for the "Masquerade" cake when I sprayed it & ended up w/sinus issues. My husband works in the auto repair industry & I could probably get him to sneak a few from the paint booth & bring them home for me. If not, I think I've seen them at Wal-Mart. Can't wait to try all these new tips :-)

Yes, luckily, I have a fridge in the basement for the kids to use in the summertime when using the pool.  Also store their ice cream in there.  And a microwave.  I just bought, and put up, plastic shelving on the 8' table in that end of the basement.  That allowed me to free up one of the other tables for the kids to use.  So my cake stuff is spread out between the basement, the breakfast area, and one entire closet that is in the garage.   

We had a fridge In the basement, but it never got used. AND hubby complained about the cost, it running almost empty. So we sold it. That was pre-grandchildren.... We'll see after a few grandkids if that changes...

I was just thinking about the box tip when spraying cakes w/color mist. Do you think one of those tri-fold boards that are used for school projects would work just as well? It seems it would be high enough & the sides wide enough to keep the overspray confined but at the same time give a better view & more lighting when spraying the cake. I'm just asking b/c the lighting in my kitchen isn't all that great & it's hard for me to tell if I'm getting the cake evenly covered w/color.

I would strongly recommend that it have a top, of some kind, even if clear plastic, you could always wash it off.  Could you stretch clear wrap over it? Just thinking out loud here, what with the need for better lighting.

Thanks Bonnie. It was just a thought. I will probably stick w/the tried & true box method. I trust yours & June's expertise & as the saying goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", right?

Bonnie Willey said:

I would strongly recommend that it have a top, of some kind, even if clear plastic, you could always wash it off.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service