Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Cakes We Bake will be hosting its first live demonstration on August 31st at 6 pm EST with Jay Qualls, star of The Next Great Baker and award-winning cake decorator. He will be demonstrating his brand new, innovative product "Fondant Fabric" and showing how to use it to create a 3-tiered wedding cake with fondant drapes, appliques and molded trims.

During the demonstration, Jay will be answering questions from Cakes We Bake members. Please post your question here by Sunday, August 28th.

Views: 1429

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Might have considered mentioning in the e-mail notice about this demonstration that the time is 6 p.m. EST.  It just stated 6 p.m in the e-mail.  I would have missed it had I not checked this site and discover that it is EST instead of CST where I live.  Just a thought.

Yeah that was a screw up on our part

we will send out a reminder that it is eastern

BK

Sewsweet2 said:

Might have considered mentioning in the e-mail notice about this demonstration that the time is 6 p.m. EST.  It just stated 6 p.m in the e-mail.  I would have missed it had I not checked this site and discover that it is EST instead of CST where I live.  Just a thought.
Ooh 11pm for me - I'll be there

bump

Please post your questions.

You can even ask about The Next Great Baker

Hi Gary and everyone else.  I'll try address as many questions as I can.  Thank you Deah for sharing my video with Gary.  The fondant currently used in the demo video right now is Satinice.  A very high quality product that was used for prototyping.  No plasticl...lol!  Just fondant.  I used a 10"x4" round cake for this video and could have used up to a 14"x4" round or square cake for this demo but I wanted you to really get a good look at the fondant fabric sheet in use.  There was excess trimming due to the size cake that I used.  That excess can be used for smaller cakes or decorations.  We never want to waste fondant.  After all, it is usually the most expensive ingredient in our cakes and rightfully so with all the work that has to go into utilizing it to its full potential.  

There are many generations and prototyping still be done and considered.  We are waiting to hear from you all and doing some direct marketing surveys to find out exactly what the market wants before we settle on just one idea.  I've hand kneaded, colored, and rolled fondant just like many of you for many years and completely understand all things considered when it comes to shape, size, costs, color, ease of use, shipping, quality of the product etc.  

I'm very excited to do the demo for you on the 31st at 6:00pm Eastern and 5:00pm Central.  I am going to show you how easy and effective it is to use my new product.  We refine it more and more each day to make it better.  

I look forward to talking and sharing with you on this forum.  I'm very excited to get to know you all and here your ideas and thoughts.  

Jay

Jq Fondant Fabric :)

Gary Chapman said:

Blimey - thanks Deah..... what is in that stuff - plastic?  Looks intriguing ... I guess I need to start visiting ICES again LOL
Oh, I forgot to mention, you all are always to ask me other questions about the cake business, my experience of working with Martha Stewart Weddings, and my role on TLC's Next Great Baker or any other topic you would like to discuss. I will try to take an hour each day to log on and read the forum and catch up with you guys. As you can imagine, we are very busy these days!

Jq
Hi Diana,

It really is as easy as it looks. I used the cricket and I didn't think it was that easy. I still like the product but I think there is a learning curve to it. If you have lifted a piece of rolled fondant and laid it on a cake, that is exactly what you are doing here. I'm even giving you a method to transport the cake onto the cake with ease and then just peel that thin sheet of plastic away. You don't have to rush because it likes sticking to the plastic. You can take your time and position it on the cake perfectly.

I want to reiterate and this is a very important point....the trimmed pieces are NOT waste. You simply preserve them as you would do any other trimmings. You can color them, add tylose to them, mix with gumpaste, add a little shortening back into and reconstitute it and roll out for decorations, etc.

I hope this information is helpful to everyone. Any other questions?
I'm so excited about doing this live demonstration with you all on August 31st.  In the mean time, please visit my store at http://store.jayqualls.com and order some sheets to try so you will be ready to work along side of me during the demonstration and see for yourself how easy this really is to use and how much time and energy it will save for you.

Hi Jay,

Thank you, and yes, you did answer my questions.  Yes, the Cricut does have a learning curve to it.  I teach cake decorating for Wilton as well as some more advanced classes in my studio, and have just had so many students that hate that Cricut.  I have come to like it for a few of my decorating projects, but there were a few tricks I had to learn first, so that was why I had asked about the sheets being easy to use.

Your product looks like it would be something people new to decorating would like.  I see so many students who have  problems and get frustrated just rolling fondant out evenly.  Your idea of pre-rolled fondant sheets is a great idea, so I'm anxious to see your demonstration and pass this product out to my students.

Diana

Jay Qualls said:

Hi Diana,

It really is as easy as it looks. I used the cricket and I didn't think it was that easy. I still like the product but I think there is a learning curve to it. If you have lifted a piece of rolled fondant and laid it on a cake, that is exactly what you are doing here. I'm even giving you a method to transport the cake onto the cake with ease and then just peel that thin sheet of plastic away. You don't have to rush because it likes sticking to the plastic. You can take your time and position it on the cake perfectly.

I want to reiterate and this is a very important point....the trimmed pieces are NOT waste. You simply preserve them as you would do any other trimmings. You can color them, add tylose to them, mix with gumpaste, add a little shortening back into and reconstitute it and roll out for decorations, etc.

I hope this information is helpful to everyone. Any other questions?

Don't forget to use the discount code -

Colors available now! Use code: GRANDOPENING to save 40% on all Fondant Fabric™

Jay Qualls said:

I'm so excited about doing this live demonstration with you all on August 31st.  In the mean time, please visit my store at http://store.jayqualls.com and order some sheets to try so you will be ready to work along side of me during the demonstration and see for yourself how easy this really is to use and how much time and energy it will save for you.
I'm glad to hear it is Satin Ice. Tell people that from the start.  I would have bought it faster.  My largest hesitation was taste.  This little bit of info was very helpful.  I'm going to order several sheets this week.

I have thought about it.  I'm trying several different things with a few surprises up my sleeve.  Hang tight and stay tuned.  

Jay

Tricia said:

Jay, have you ever thought of putting printed icing sheets on your draped fondant?  PhotoFrost has some new and exciting products that you may be interested in.  The colored icing sheets can be applied to fondant really easily. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service