Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Cakes We Bake will be hosting its first live demonstration on August 31st at 6 pm EST with Jay Qualls, star of The Next Great Baker and award-winning cake decorator. He will be demonstrating his brand new, innovative product "Fondant Fabric" and showing how to use it to create a 3-tiered wedding cake with fondant drapes, appliques and molded trims.

During the demonstration, Jay will be answering questions from Cakes We Bake members. Please post your question here by Sunday, August 28th.

Views: 1401

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

How long will the discount be for?  How long can it keep?  I don't have any cakes coming up.  With the discount, it's more affordable to non professionals.  I just give the cakes away & don't even get paid for the supplies.  Is there a cake decorators anonymous meeting I can go to?

Hi Jay! Cant wait to see your demo!  Your product is awesome and so are you! I know everyone is just going to love it!  Talk soon.

Debbie

 

I live in a very small town and would like to find investors to start my own bakery. Do you have any suggestions on how to find investors? Any other ideas are greatly appreciated.
Hello everyone!  I'm so excited about this event this evening!  Thank you CWB for hosting me.  You guys are going to love my new product Fondant Fabric!  It is awesome.  Please join us at 5:00pm central as I decorate a 3 tiered wedding cake with my newly named "Pink-a-boo" pink fondant fabric by SatinIce.  I will also be demonstrating a beautiful lace mold from my good friend and Sugar Mama @Earlene Moore.  I will be showing you how to cover your boards in fondant fabric as well!!  No more foil boards!  No excuses now!  Takes less than a minute!  I'll be doing drop strings and my signature triple beaded border!   So get your cake dummies or real cakes ready and decorate along side me and feel free to chat with me and ask questions during the demonstration and afterwards!  Look forward to you all joining me as we share.
Sounds like fun! Thanks for the change CWB and Jay. (BTW I was rooting for you on tv....I hear he's looking for another great baker!) Excited to see your new product.

Jay Qualls said:
Hello everyone!  I'm so excited about this event this evening!  Thank you CWB for hosting me.  You guys are going to love my new product Fondant Fabric!  It is awesome.  Please join us at 5:00pm central as I decorate a 3 tiered wedding cake with my newly named "Pink-a-boo" pink fondant fabric by SatinIce.  I will also be demonstrating a beautiful lace mold from my good friend and Sugar Mama @Earlene Moore.  I will be showing you how to cover your boards in fondant fabric as well!!  No more foil boards!  No excuses now!  Takes less than a minute!  I'll be doing drop strings and my signature triple beaded border!   So get your cake dummies or real cakes ready and decorate along side me and feel free to chat with me and ask questions during the demonstration and afterwards!  Look forward to you all joining me as we share.

Hi Jasmine, 

The current discount will run through tomorrow.  It has the same shelf life as current fondant products.  Usually 12-18 months.  The packaging is vacuum sealed!  It also will eventually hang on the wall as well and not take up valuable shelf space.  On another note, you absolutely need to get paid for what you do!  You deserve it and your work is amazing i'm sure.  There are 3 markets this product is intended for.  One market is the enthusiast, hobbyist who just do cakes for friends, family, and fun. Second market is the home baker or entrepaneur who is working toward owning their own cake shop. It is imperative that they understand what "overhead" consists of.  Not just raw goods and materials, but all overhead should be considered when pricing their work.  Labor in this industry because of the art aspect and customization is the largest expense.  Cake and frosting are fairly inexpensive but butter cream limits your creative in many ways.  We have pre-weighed the fondant sheets to make sure they are consistently the same weight and thickness every single time so you can define your costs before you sale a cake.  It also opens you up to a blank canvas for design.  The third market is the professional baker.  Usually 1-2 days and 1-2 employees spend the majority of two days kneading rolling, and preparing fondant.  This eliminates that entire process.  Just pull the size sheets you need for the size cakes you are covering, and the color of the sheets you need.  Remove from package, taking your time, and apply to cake perfectly.  Tuck in around base, trim the little bit of excess, which we are all used to and always save that for another project or for decorations for current project.  I hope this gives you some great insight to my product.  You are going to freaking love it!!!!  Remember to ask questions tonight.  I'm happy to help any way i can!  Love, Jq

Jasmine said:

How long will the discount be for?  How long can it keep?  I don't have any cakes coming up.  With the discount, it's more affordable to non professionals.  I just give the cakes away & don't even get paid for the supplies.  Is there a cake decorators anonymous meeting I can go to?

Hi there.  Thanks for your inquiry.  I got laid off in 2004 and was forced to figure out what I really wanted to do with my life and take control of my own destiny.  With a background in business, I wrote a business and marketing plan first to see if this was a viable product and would be needed in the marketplace in my area.  Fortunately it was.  I am happy to help you any way i can and do private consulting for folks just like you.  There are lots of trips and tricks.  I can share with you.  Right now I would refer you to www.score.org.  and www.sba.gov.  There are many, many resources for many types of businesses and business people including financial programs that may help you.  Good luck!  Join me tonight and feel free to ask me questions.  i will help any way i can.  Love, Jq

A Memory Worth Making Cakes said:
I live in a very small town and would like to find investors to start my own bakery. Do you have any suggestions on how to find investors? Any other ideas are greatly appreciated.

Hi Debbie, 

 

Thank you for joining me tonight and be sure to thank Cakes We Bake for hosting and having such a wonderful forum for us to share!  Please don't be shy and chime in and tell all your cake friends to join in and check out my new product. Love, Jq

Debbie Coughlin said:

Hi Jay! Cant wait to see your demo!  Your product is awesome and so are you! I know everyone is just going to love it!  Talk soon.

Debbie

 

Oh yeah....I'm sure there will be questions about the Next Great Baker!!  Lots to say about that.  

 

Jq

Cake Fan said:

bump

Please post your questions.

You can even ask about The Next Great Baker

 

I have an important question Jay - how does your fondant taste? I make my own MMF and everyone enjoys the taste, but it's very very time consuming to roll out the fondant. Also does yours come already colored? How will that work if we need a specific color?

 

Thanks in advance,

Carla

Hi there Jay, watched you on Cake Boss. Was very impressed! By the way, do you have a book or video out I can get on line or at a bookstore?

I need help trying to see the video clueless about where to go and what to click on

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2021   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service