Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Hi everyone

I am busy with my last cake of the year and its proving to possibly be the toughest of the year.

Its a 2 tiered topsy turvy cake.

The fondant keeps tearing :( Its very hot in south africa tonight and my fan just broke (I could cry)

How else can I work with the fondant to ensure that I can cover these cakes without anything tearing?

Also can I store the cake in the furdge over night to keep it cool? will it affect the fondant negatively?

Hope you have some suggestions

Views: 119

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lynette

Try adding some more shortening to your fondant. When kneading, fondant should feel smooth and elastic, kind of stretchy. Then the other thing I would suggest is, rolling your fondant between 2 heavy pieces of plastic/vinyl. I have The Mat, but if you don't, as suggested, the plastic/viynl. Don't know if this suggestion is too late. You might not be able to get your hands on some heavy plastic/vinyl by the time you get this post.

You can store your cake in the fridge, but when you remove from the fridge, allow the cake/fondant to come to room temperature. Don't touch the fondant. It will sweat, but leave it be, that will eventually evaporate. If yku can store your cake in a cardboard box, that does help reduce the condensation.

Hope this helps. :o)

Hey June

I added some tylose to the mix and left it to stand before placing it on the cake. Still not the best fondant work Ive done this year but I also added some decorations to hide the "mistakes"

Wow what a night and what a way to end of the year lol

Thanks so much for your help June! Hope you have a wondereful christmas and new year!

Well the tylose worked. And everything worked out Ok. That is the main thing.  I can't imagine it being hot, cause it is so cold here. But you are in another hemisphere!!

Merry Christmas to you as well. :o)

I am in Durban, and as you can imagine, its sooo very hot this time of year!  And the humidity is even worse! I dont add Tylose to fondant, it dries it out too much.  I also dont put my cakes in the fridge after the fondant is on, i just make sure its under a fan, till its ready to go!  I have had disasters with fondant 'sweating', its really yucky, but a fan seems to work wonders!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service