Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

which cake mix brand is better? duncan hines? betty crocker? pillsbury?

Hey I have to make a half sheet cake this coming week and I was needing some opinions on which cake brand is better? like which is more tastier and moist and just all around Delicious! =) and holds butter cream frosting as well as fondant.

please let me know what you think =)

Thanks

Kelsey Thornton

Views: 20130

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I prefer to make cakes from scratch, but when I do use a box mix, I swear by Duncan Hines. I always get compliments and people are surprised it's a box mix.
Suzzanna - what recipes do you use that work? Do you mind sharing?

My favorite recipe using a box mix is this one for Margarita cupcakes: http://www.recipegirl.com/2007/05/01/margarita-cupcakes/ I'm making them again soon for a Cinco de Mayo party. Everyone loves them. Most of my from-scratch recipes were taken off the back of a box of cake flour. I find using cake flour in cakes really makes a difference .

Dawn Rene Myers said:
Suzzanna - what recipes do you use that work? Do you mind sharing?
Thanks! I have tried some home mixes but just cant seem to find any that work that well!

I made a video for a friend of a very basic doctored mix that can be used with any flavor.  It's very versatile (as all doctored mixes are).  It's just a basic 101, nothing fancy.  But it works and it's so flexible.  I have other more elaborate doctored recipes I use, but this is the only one I give to friends and family wanting to bake their own cakes... and it's the one I use for brides on a budget.

http://youtu.be/LGgiIni2BVk

I did it in video form so people would understand the sour cream measurement part.. otherwise they usually screwed it up.

Thats awesome Dawn! Thank you for sharing! What great ideas I got from you.

I am so glad you found it helpful.  I don't make a lot of videos.  So I'm never sure.
I prefer Betty Crocker.  I change the ingredients so it does not taste like a box mix.  My recipes are at http://bit.ly/ei6y5J
I always use Duncan Hines and add an extra egg and instant pudding, just pour the dry mix in with the cake mix (flavor according to the flavor cake mix) and when I bake my cakes I use the bake even strips (love those things)! It can hold up buttercream and fondant :D
According to this food scientist who comes to my shop, Duncan Hines is empirically superior to any box mix you can get at the grocery store. For my professional use I prefer Pillsbury Creme Cake base in the 50lb sack, NOT the one that comes in a case with 3 ten lb bags, that stuff is totally different.
It's Duncan Hines totally for me.  I use Wilton baking strips and never have to level a cake, they work wonderfully.

Same here! haha!

yvonne murphy said:

You are so right Sherry,I feel the same way, I use them all. There is no such thing as a bad cake.. LOL . Just if it's a 3-D cake I get the one with pudding in the mix or I sometimes add pudding myself. But normally what is on sale that week is what i get also.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service