Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

which cake mix brand is better? duncan hines? betty crocker? pillsbury?

Hey I have to make a half sheet cake this coming week and I was needing some opinions on which cake brand is better? like which is more tastier and moist and just all around Delicious! =) and holds butter cream frosting as well as fondant.

please let me know what you think =)

Thanks

Kelsey Thornton

Views: 20131

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'll use whatever is on sale. I have yet to have complaints on the taste. Great ideas and tips in this whole thread! I thought I was being original using milk instead of water, but I definitely have to try buttermilk. On occasion I have tried using heavy whipping cream, it came out tasting awesome (but more expensive when you think about the cost).
I guess the answer to this question is ....depends on who ya ask! Some like Betty, some like Duncan and some don't like either. (Personally, I'm a Duncan Hines girl.)
To me I have tried them all and they all come out good... but they are made that way...goof proof for home bakers. The formulas have conditioners and emulsifiers...ever try reading the ingredients list? That is why they all come out basically the same..tender and moist and why most people prefer box to scratch. However....I have a few recipes that I think outshine the box mixes....you cant get real butter flavor out of a mix.. you cant get moistness from real buttermilk from a mix....before I went to school I was terrified of scratch cakes...I have come to appreciate the craft of having one come out near perfect. IMHO when you start adding all that other stuff to a box mix you might as well just start from scratch...isnt the box mix for convenience? Just mix 2 eggs, oil and water and it is in the oven? If you have to doctor up mixes then it isnt convenient and quick anymore. Scratch baking isnt all that more time comsuming...maybe 5 minutes or so.

I made a fudge cake yesterday....flour, eggs, chocolate, cocoa, baking soda, buttermilk, butter, sugar, salt, vanilla...that was it....no long latin words I couldnt pronounce...it was in the oven in 10 minutes. Scratch baking just takes a little practice. Dont overmix, check to see if it is done before the time is up, use an oven thermometer for accuracy and the correct size pans, and above all make sure all your ingredients are at ROOM temperature. Eggs, butter, liquid, everything. If you have ever seen your batter curdle it is because the ingredients were too cold. Butter and eggs cant mix well if the cold eggs chill the creamed soft warm butter. It will curdle it in a NY second and then the texture wont be good and will be drier after you bake it. OK I am getting off my soapbox now...did I hear a thank goodness? :P
Shana asked: .........where would I find your original WASC recipe............

So sorry I have not been keeping up with this thread. Life gets in the way:)

Here is the *Original* WASC recipe:

1 cake mix - *any* flavor
1 cup flour
1 cup gran. sugar
generous dash salt^
1 cup liquid^
1 cup sour cream^
3 whole eggs

Mix dry ingredients (mix, flour, sugar, salt) together well. This is especially important if using chocolate - not so much for other flavors. Add remaining ingredients and mix for 2 minutes. Pour into prepared pans. Bake at 300 degrees F for approx. 20 minutes; increase oven temp to 325 and bake another 20 minutes.
This is the end of the original recipe. The rest are notes to what others have done/found works for them.
This makes the amount of batter as if you used 1& 1/2 boxes of cake mix.
It will be enough batter to fill one 10" and one 6" round; OR one 12" round; OR one 10" sq; OR one 9x13 sheet; and many other combinations of pans
Times are approx as I bake by my nose:) When you can smell that wonderful cake aroma in the next room it is time to check the cake. It should NOT pull away from the pan sides at this point. I check by touching it in the middle - it if springs back even the slightest it is ready to be taken out of the oven. If it doesn't spring back, *turn oven off* and allow cake to remain in warm oven for 3-5 minutes - by now it should be pulling away from the sides of the pan and spring in the center.
^NOTES: Most of the time I forget to add salt. I have always used all-purpose flour. Some tell me they use cake flour but reduce amount several tablespoons.
Liquid can be *any* such as water, juice, milk, soda pop, KoolAid, etc, etc. All but water add additional sugar to the recipe and can upset the balance.
Sour Cream: I have always used sc. Many have told me they use a flavored yogurt to match the flavor of the cake.
Eggs: I have always used the whole egg. This gives the cake more body/structure. Using only egg whites makes a softer cake, May be o.k. for *WHITE* wedding cakes, but I have never had anyone complain about my slightly off-white 'white/brides cake' :)
Many times the top of the cake upon cooling will be somewhat sticky, especially in the middle. This has never bothered me. If it is *real* sticky &/or all over, you have not baked it enough so next time add a few extra minutes of leaving cake in turned-off, warm oven.
Some have complained about the center sinking. I think that has to do with adding juice or milk and flavored yogurt (sugar!). Try the recipe using water. It may also have to do with the elevation where you live. Speaking of elevations:
I have used this recipe at elevations of nearly sea-level; around 3500 and at 8500 ft. The *only* change I had to make was when baking at 8500 and then all I did was almost double the liquid used and make sure the cake was covered w/plastic *as soon as it is turned out of pan*.
The cake will bake up perfectly flat, moist and yummmy. You will not have that hump in the middle.
I usually use a KitchenAid mixer and yes, I time the 2 minutes:) When I baked at 8500 I was living in an RV - no room for the KA so it was a hand mixer and I think it took like 3 minutes of beating.
Oh lastly: I use a glass (Pyrex) measuring cup for the liquid and fill it *to the brim*.
I hope that covers all the bases. If you have any ?s please *e-mail* me at: kake1adi at yahoo dot com (Note: that is the number one not an 'L")
I havent really given any thought to it, i do know if you use old cake mixes , like cake mix over a year old , it wont rise , but i havent really knoticed the difference in each type of cake mix
Try this recipe i use Duncan hines

(2) 36 ounce white cake mix
2 cups of all purpuse flour
2 cups of sugar
1/1/2 of salt
2 3/4 of water
1/4 of oil
2 tpns vanilla extract
2 tpns almond
2 cups of sour cream
8 large eggs whites

place all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mi with awhire whisk
add remaining ingredients and beat in a medium speed
pour into greased and floured cake pans, filling each pan a little over full
lightly tap cake pans on counter to take out the air bublles
bake in pre heated 325 F until cakes test done

and you can make half of the recipe
is this for one cake or two kinda confused on this one.

Wilda Carino said:
Try this recipe i use Duncan hines

(2) 36 ounce white cake mix
2 cups of all purpuse flour
2 cups of sugar
1/1/2 of salt
2 3/4 of water
1/4 of oil
2 tpns vanilla extract
2 tpns almond
2 cups of sour cream
8 large eggs whites

place all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mi with awhire whisk
add remaining ingredients and beat in a medium speed
pour into greased and floured cake pans, filling each pan a little over full
lightly tap cake pans on counter to take out the air bublles
bake in pre heated 325 F until cakes test done

and you can make half of the recipe
HI, Dena...
Your recipe sounds great. Would you please share the amount of sour cream you use? Also, I'm assuming you prepare the (two) cake mixes according to their directions?

Dena Bryngelson said:
I mix one Betty Crocker and one Pillsbury together and add sour cream. I think Betty is less sweet and pillbury is too sweet...together they make a perfect match. The sour cream makes the mixture a heavier cake for fondant. I haven't found any cake mix to be firm enough for fondant without some alteration to the recipe. They get all crumbly
I am a Duncan Hines Fan all the way. If by any chance, I'm unable to get my hands on Duncan Hines (which very rare) I will step down to use Betty Crocker. But Duncan Hines is my all time favorite, hands down.
I'm with you, Duncan Hines 100%.  I bake it several days in advance of decorating, then store in the freezer tightly wrapped in plastic wrap.  It holds moisture, holds shape and is easy to trim off the crusty shortening-flour edge. 

T. Myers said:
I am a Duncan Hines Fan all the way. If by any chance, I'm unable to get my hands on Duncan Hines (which very rare) I will step down to use Betty Crocker. But Duncan Hines is my all time favorite, hands down.

What is best is simply in the eye of the beholder... PERIOD!  I hate green beans.  They are horrible and nasty and why oh why would anyone anyone pay good hard earned money for them?  Fresh or frozen - just a waste of God's good space here on earth!!  So does this make green beans horrible and nasty to everyone?  I hardly think so.

Honestly, by the time we all get done doctoring these cake mixes, there is not a lot of difference.  I use whatever is on sale and have yet to have a PAYING customer know the difference.  Maybe they could side by side.... but not under normal circumstances. 

Get the mix YOU like or your customers like and don't worry about what we like.

I use Pillsbury..here is what I do!  I separate my egg whites and beat them into a meringue adding just a pinch of salt to assist.  In a separate bowl I mix the rest of the ingredients.  This keeps my cake firm, moist and dense enough to sculpt!  PS..I also add almond extract to my white cake mixes and instant coffee to chocolate.  I hae yet ever have a cake crack or fall apart sculpting it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service