Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

About 6 months ago, I was showing a friend how to do that technique where you take squares of gum paste, pinch in the corners and line them up. Then the row above you move it over 1/2 the length of the square. The effect is poofy, down comforter looking rows.

In the last week, 2 people have asked me what that technique is called and it is driving me crazy because I keep drawing a blank. Anyone? Thanks :)

Views: 689

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Billowing technique. That is what it is called here in Canada. Discussed this at our last cake club meeting.

Linda Wolff, her cake she did, I do believe this is the name she used for her technique as well.

:o)

Thank you!

That is what I have heard it called too, Theresa. We have been discussing it among a group of us for the last several months. Nadia has done one, and Sandra just posted hers the other day, which I thought was a stunner. Check out the pictures she has posted: Sandra I. Vazquez Lossiseroni

Linda,I was inspired by your amazing cake ,I am sure mine was not look as nice as yours.

Linda Wolff said:

That is what I have heard it called too, Theresa. We have been discussing it among a group of us for the last several months. Nadia has done one, and Sandra just posted hers the other day, which I thought was a stunner. Check out the pictures she has posted: Sandra I. Vazquez Lossiseroni

Does anyone have a picture?  I am not familiar with this technique.  Thanks.

Lorie, here is a link to Susan Trianos cakes. She is the one who came up with this method.http://www.susantrianoscakes.com/category/cake-tutorials/

Lorie LaTouche said:

Does anyone have a picture?  I am not familiar with this technique.  Thanks.

Linda, those cakes are beautiful on the link you posted!!  WOW!  Thanks for posting :)

I agree on how pricey the DVD is, Shirley. I didn't even know who the originator was for the billowing technique when I tried my little first time experiment. After I made my cake, someone else told me about the tutorial above that you have posted. After looking at the tutorial, I had pretty much done the same thing, except that I had used an oblong metal cutter instead of the ribbon cutter, and I had started at the top of the cake and worked down the sides instead of the bottom. Unless the DVD has more than just what is posted on the link you have provided, in all honesty, I cannot justify spending that much money, since it is a fairly easy technique to do. Especially since I am a home baker. But I did want to give credit where credit was due to the originator of the technique, and that is why I posted her link to the DVD.

Shirley Wilson said:

I ordered Susan's billowed tufted fondant DVD and while it is very nice and easy to follow along it is a bit pricey. After ordering it I found this tutorial on Shutterfly. Same technique and for free.

http://thejoyofcake.shutterfly.com/tutorials/4

I am sure she will appreciate it Shirley. When I did my little practice cake, my 11 year old granddaughter did one right along beside me to take home and eat with er family. Hers turned out almost exactly as mine did so I know that this is a technique anyone should be able to achieve,

Shirley Wilson said:

On the DVD is also how to cover a cake in fondant, to make ribbon roses of fondant and little brooches of gumpaste to go between the billows. She also sections off her cake so that the billows fit perfectly even. I guess if you want or need to learn each of those things you might justify the price but the tutorial on Shuuterfly shows you nearly the same thing. I have a granddaughter inlaw who is a beginner decorator and so will send the DVD on to her.

Linda Wolff said:

I agree on how pricey the DVD is, Shirley. I didn't even know who the originator was for the billowing technique when I tried my little first time experiment. After I made my cake, someone else told me about the tutorial above that you have posted. After looking at the tutorial, I had pretty much done the same thing, except that I had used an oblong metal cutter instead of the ribbon cutter, and I had started at the top of the cake and worked down the sides instead of the bottom. Unless the DVD has more than just what is posted on the link you have provided, in all honesty, I cannot justify spending that much money, since it is a fairly easy technique to do. Especially since I am a home baker. But I did want to give credit where credit was due to the originator of the technique, and that is why I posted her link to the DVD.

Shirley Wilson said:

I ordered Susan's billowed tufted fondant DVD and while it is very nice and easy to follow along it is a bit pricey. After ordering it I found this tutorial on Shutterfly. Same technique and for free.

http://thejoyofcake.shutterfly.com/tutorials/4

Not at all, Shirley. Don't even give it a second thought. And it is awesome that there are alternative sites for bakers that cannot afford such an expense. I think that is why I, and a lot of other people love this site. We share with each other and can learn from each other. Not all professional bakers are willing to give a few trade secrets away, but here, most everyone is more than willing to help and teach each other. I love what you have said a couple of times Shirley....you can't take what you know with you once you are gone, so you might as well share it while you can. That is exactly the same way I feel about it too. As you said...pass it forward. Amen, sister! lol

Shirley Wilson said:

I hope that didn't sound as though I was putting Susan down in some way because I would never do that. She is the one who created this technique and her cake was the first one I saw using it. I immediately fell in love with it and wanted to do it. My link to the other tutorial is really posted because not everyone can afford to pay $50.00 for a DVD. I splurged on it and felt it was worth the price. I think whether it is the cost of a book, a DVD or a class, if you come away with just one amazing thing it makes it worth the price.

Linda Wolff said:

I agree on how pricey the DVD is, Shirley. I didn't even know who the originator was for the billowing technique when I tried my little first time experiment. After I made my cake, someone else told me about the tutorial above that you have posted. After looking at the tutorial, I had pretty much done the same thing, except that I had used an oblong metal cutter instead of the ribbon cutter, and I had started at the top of the cake and worked down the sides instead of the bottom. Unless the DVD has more than just what is posted on the link you have provided, in all honesty, I cannot justify spending that much money, since it is a fairly easy technique to do. Especially since I am a home baker. But I did want to give credit where credit was due to the originator of the technique, and that is why I posted her link to the DVD.

Shirley Wilson said:

I ordered Susan's billowed tufted fondant DVD and while it is very nice and easy to follow along it is a bit pricey. After ordering it I found this tutorial on Shutterfly. Same technique and for free.

http://thejoyofcake.shutterfly.com/tutorials/4

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service