Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Hello Cake Lovers.Just got a picture of this beautiful cake and i'm wondering what it's really made of.The Lemon green colour on it and the glitters makes it unique and also not forgetting the fruits on it.is it possible that buttercream was'nt piped on it because it doesnt smell like butter and also the fondant on the cake board looks so soft that it makes the embossing look even better.Thanks for your contributions in advance

I have attached the picture below

Views: 480

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Ebule

Don't know if cake is fondant or buttercream, but think the green is sanding sugar. Whatever it is it was probably buttercream as any sparkles stick much better to that than fondant. Most decorating stores sell sanding sugar. Even my bulk food store sells many colours. This is my guess.

Hey June

I totally appreciate your help.I would lookup sanding sugar and find out a local store i can get one.would definitely love to make this cake sometime soon.I also think it's buttercream since the body of the cake is filled with grated coconut.But i feel the cake board cant be made of buttercream also or is that possible?would an embosser work on buttercream?

June Kowalczyk said:

Hey Ebule

Don't know if cake is fondant or buttercream, but think the green is sanding sugar. Whatever it is it was probably buttercream as any sparkles stick much better to that than fondant. Most decorating stores sell sanding sugar. Even my bulk food store sells many colours. This is my guess.

Oops

Forgot about the board. That is definitely fondant. You could emboss buttercream, but it would have to be several layers, and tricky. Fondant would be so much easier.

I agree - definitely butter cream.  The sides look like they have some glitter or crushed nut decoration too.  No way that would stick to fondant.  Also yes, probably sanding sugar.  You can make your own, you know?  Just use a coarse sugar (granulated for example) add a couple of drops of the food colouring you want, mix it in and leave the sugar to dry out again (hour or so probably) - voila, coloured sanding sugar.  It's also readily available on Ebay, and loads of cake equipment sites.

Oh yes and definitely fondant on the board too!

I made my own pink sanding sugar Katy.  Dead easy.  Bought really coarse natural sugar and did as you posted. Only glitch was I didn't let it dry out enough before I put it away in a jar. But that was easily remedied.

Does look like sanding sugar on the top.  It is super easy to use.  I covered an entire wedding cake with white sanding sugar in December.  It was a fondant coated cake and I brushed it with piping gel then attached the sugar.   Worked perfectly and was beautiful.  I will try to get a picture posted soon.

Sounds very pretty. Can't wait to see a pic.

I will post the picture soon... I am so far behind getting pictures uploaded on here. 

Hi Cakesters,tnx for all the contributions.i've learnt quite alot.i never would have thought i could make the sanding sugar on my own.cant wait to try out my own sanding sugar in beautiful colors. would also love to see the cake by jeri.tnx again

Glad we were of help Ebule.  Go for it!

Here are 3 pictures of the cake I did in December.  Super easy to do!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service