Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

I'm calling on my expert cake makers out there for some help since you all have such good advice for me always! My son and his fiance would like this cake for their wedding, I am not real experienced at this so any help is appreciated. Is this 2 3inch high cakes layered for each tier? Is the stems painted on or edible marker? And any good tutorials on making these stargazer lillies? Is that black fondant border? I tried finding this on the site but not finding it to get any info. on it. Any helpful tips would be much appreciated!

Views: 741

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had the same trouble with the dust and vodka but found I was using too much liquid or wrong kind of dust. I think I have been using the wilton brand (skinny tube) and using very very little vodka, I pretty much wet my brush in vodka a little then dip into my dust. I know what you mean tho, I was getting really frustrated too and bought several different kinds/brands.

Sandra Smiley said:

Wendy, I know others do it, but I have had absolutely no luck mixing petal dust with alcohol...it just comes out as a grainy, watery liquid that doesn't cover very well.  As June said, I use small brushes, one for each color, to apply petal dust.  Start out with just a little bit because you can get too much in a hurry if you are heavy handed (do you hear the voice of experience here, lol).  If I want intense colors, I used Wilton gel colors mixed with alcohol.

Hang in there, girl!  All it takes is practice and we are all still practicing :o)

That is awesome.   Can't wait to see the final product.

wendy martz said:

Last night I made the inside part of the flower and was very happy with that, I need to go get yellow dust and try petals! :) I did find the white paper covered wire and white floral tape at walmart in the floral section! Yahh

well here is the finished product. I'm thinking real flowers may be a better option. Although the pictures don't look too bad I had some trouble. I feel like that center thing is too long/big. The petals were ok but the yellow I had was CK glitter dust and would not stay on the petal at all, I had to wet it. The color dust from Wilton (the pink) did stick and worked fine. For the dots I used burgundy gel color. I didn't put yellow tips since my yellow wouldn't stick (maybe next time when I have the right stuff). The biggest challenge was wrapping them together and shaping them,  the bottoms of the petals were breaking off. I guess the more you practice the better it gets as you learn the proper measurements/lengths/thickness. it's just frustrating trying to get there!

Attachments:

It looks nice but you may be right about the stigma.  When I look at a real one, it is a little thinner and looks a little shorter.  It also helps to give it a more natural look if you curved it a bit so that it doesn't stand straight up.  As far as the petals breaking off, we all go thru this.  Some people put them together before they are fully dry and say that it avoids breaking so many but you have to be careful that they are dry enough to hold their shape.  To be honest, I wait until fully dry and hope for the best. lol  Sometimes when I break a petal, I just make believe an insect got to them.  You can use a hot wire to burn the edges if you know what I mean.  Don't give up you are definitely on the right track.  If you have access to the real flower, it really helps.  If not, what I do is google an image of the way I want it to look and keep referring back to it.  Here is an image that gives you a good idea of what the stigma looks like.  

Thank you! That is a VERY good picture to go by too! You made me laugh on the insect idea, I like it! haha.

You're welcome.  That is the kind of picture I look for when I'm trying to make a flower.  Just to show you what I mean about the petals.  I broke a piece on the rose so just went with it.  

Attachments:

Wendy, did you compare your first lily with your second?  Major improvement!  You are going to make fabulous lilies...do not give up.  Breakage - we all do it - a lot!  There is no particular "right" way to form the center parts of a lily because different varieties have different shapes.  The photo posted by Goreti is a really good example to go by, especially for the pistil and stamens.

wendy martz said:

Thank you! That is a VERY good picture to go by too! You made me laugh on the insect idea, I like it! haha.

Thank you Sandra, I will try again!
Sandra Smiley said:

Wendy, did you compare your first lily with your second?  Major improvement!  You are going to make fabulous lilies...do not give up.  Breakage - we all do it - a lot!  There is no particular "right" way to form the center parts of a lily because different varieties have different shapes.  The photo posted by Goreti is a really good example to go by, especially for the pistil and stamens.

wendy martz said:

That is a beautiful rose it looks SOOO real, how did you get that texture look? Is this gumpaste? Would love to see a tutorial on this! (hint hint) :)
Goreti said:

You're welcome.  That is the kind of picture I look for when I'm trying to make a flower.  Just to show you what I mean about the petals.  I broke a piece on the rose so just went with it.  

You are not going to believe this.  That texture is made by those plastic bags in the produce section of the grocery store (part of the texture might be from my finger tips since I don't try to make it perfectly smooth).  I actually save the ones from the fruit to use for my roses.  They were made using this method:  http://cakesdecor.com/entries/466-cream-icing-rose-how-i-make-mine.  I use a mix of fondant & gumpaste (I use the Wilton ready made).  I have found this the best way at least  for me.  Didn't like making roses until I discovered this method.  I can get the petals really really thin this way.  The bags get all crinkly and make that texture on the petals.  I also google an image of a rose to help me visualize the petal placement.

that is just clever, can't wait to try it! This is like a cake school on here I love it! I learn more every time I log on! Thank you!
Goreti said:

You are not going to believe this.  That texture is made by those plastic bags in the produce section of the grocery store (part of the texture might be from my finger tips since I don't try to make it perfectly smooth).  I actually save the ones from the fruit to use for my roses.  They were made using this method:  http://cakesdecor.com/entries/466-cream-icing-rose-how-i-make-mine.  I use a mix of fondant & gumpaste (I use the Wilton ready made).  I have found this the best way at least  for me.  Didn't like making roses until I discovered this method.  I can get the petals really really thin this way.  The bags get all crinkly and make that texture on the petals.  I also google an image of a rose to help me visualize the petal placement.

my son would like choc. cake with peanut butter icing. I plan to use fondant as in the picture attached. Any suggestions or good recipes for pb icing and/or pb fondant?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service