Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

I'm calling on my expert cake makers out there for some help since you all have such good advice for me always! My son and his fiance would like this cake for their wedding, I am not real experienced at this so any help is appreciated. Is this 2 3inch high cakes layered for each tier? Is the stems painted on or edible marker? And any good tutorials on making these stargazer lillies? Is that black fondant border? I tried finding this on the site but not finding it to get any info. on it. Any helpful tips would be much appreciated!

Views: 741

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is where I order mine from.  http://www.fondantsource.com/floralwire.html   This is the place I have found the least expensive especially the shipping charges.  You want to get the paper covered ones (trust me).  It is a little pricier but it is really the best because the gumpaste adheres much better to it than the cloth covered ones.  I would say for those petals you probably would want a 24 or 26 gauge but it probably has that information on whatever tutorial you used.  

Wendy, your lily doesn't look bad at all...pretty darned good for a first try :o)  As June said, it is a lot easier to achieve a realistic color using petal dust or soft pastels (used for painting).  It is also helpful to have a real flower to use as a guide or a bunch of photos from the internet.  I find that helps me enormously.  

I looked in the cake section at walmart and didn't see any but I will look in other sections or another walmart. I used the color dust and lemon juice but I know it didn't look too great :), I was frustrated by then since the little staymen things didn't want to stay on the wire and it was hard to get all the wires together to wrap them in the tape, I need to watch the video again and take my time :) next one will be better I'm sure!

how do you apply the color dust? As I mentioned, I used lemon juice, my vodka was all :) and I used a small paint brush. I looked for a fake stargazer lily but didn't feel like paying that much for a flower, I figured I could see a picture, not as good though. Thanks for the helpful advice!

Sandra Smiley said:

Wendy, your lily doesn't look bad at all...pretty darned good for a first try :o)  As June said, it is a lot easier to achieve a realistic color using petal dust or soft pastels (used for painting).  It is also helpful to have a real flower to use as a guide or a bunch of photos from the internet.  I find that helps me enormously.  

Thank you Goreti, I realized there were paper coated wires after the fact so I did get some but will check out that website for sure! I used 26 guage wire for the petals and 22 for the staymens. Thank you for your help! Much appreciated!

Goreti said:

This is where I order mine from.  http://www.fondantsource.com/floralwire.html   This is the place I have found the least expensive especially the shipping charges.  You want to get the paper covered ones (trust me).  It is a little pricier but it is really the best because the gumpaste adheres much better to it than the cloth covered ones.  I would say for those petals you probably would want a 24 or 26 gauge but it probably has that information on whatever tutorial you used.  

I don't mix my colour dust or pastel artists chalk with anything. I use different brushes to dust on dry. You apply dust several times until you achieve the colour your looking for. It's time consuming, but it really gives a realistic look. I bought my artists chalk at Michael's with a 50% coupon. They were expensive, probably $25-30, but well worth it. Had 2 years, and hardly used all of them.

Here are a couple of tutorials showing how to use the petal dust:

http://www.craftsy.com/blog/2013/01/learn-to-color-sugar-flowers/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhTUhU9LOE4

I usually lightly steam my flowers to set the color.

Yes...forgot to mention that Goreti about steaming.....great tip.

This just showed up on my news feed on facebook and I thought of you:  https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1601131840172334.10737418...

wow! Thanks ladies! Can't wait to try this again!

Wendy, I know others do it, but I have had absolutely no luck mixing petal dust with alcohol...it just comes out as a grainy, watery liquid that doesn't cover very well.  As June said, I use small brushes, one for each color, to apply petal dust.  Start out with just a little bit because you can get too much in a hurry if you are heavy handed (do you hear the voice of experience here, lol).  If I want intense colors, I used Wilton gel colors mixed with alcohol.

Hang in there, girl!  All it takes is practice and we are all still practicing :o)

Last night I made the inside part of the flower and was very happy with that, I need to go get yellow dust and try petals! :) I did find the white paper covered wire and white floral tape at walmart in the floral section! Yahhh!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service