Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Hello Everyone,

I have a 8tier wedding cake order for october, and this indeed is my first wedding cake attempt. The bride has requested and 8tier and the flavor are, chocolate, vanilla and red velvet.

Now as we all know red velvet can only be iced with cream cheese,

1) is there anyone who can share/ give me advice on how to pull this off?

2)Another thing is she wants the cake to be covered from top to bottom with white fondant roses.

3) And she would like the bottom cake to be about 22inchs.

4) when i make fondant roses, they tend to crack, is there any advice on how to avoid this pls?

Advice desperately needed.

Aisha

Views: 1740

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

wow, that is a big cake and lots of roses! For the roses, I would use fondant/gumpaste (50/50) mix to make roses, you'll need lots to cover the entire cake. I would use cream cheese frosting (if you must use it) on the top tier as it gets softer than buttercream. Good luck!

No it's not!!!!!!!!!!!  There is only a hint of cocoa in the cake.  It is a buttermilk cake with red food coloring.  In fact, if you can taste the cocoa outright - it wasn't made correctly.  Period.  Simple.  No more discussion.   This is one of the only times I tell people outright they are wrong.  I usually politely simply disagree.  But when it comes to red velvet cake, I get my dander up. 

Traditionally, part of it being a "red velvet cake" in its entirety requires cream cheese.  It would be like calling a German chocolate cake such and not having a bit of pecans or coconut on it.  In these cases it's the entire package that makes the cake and gives it its name, not just the batter.

In SoCal, though, people like it with BC... which makes me insane, but I'v learned to ask here.  I've also learned to ask customers when ordering said cake:

Do you want a real red velvet cake or a chocolate cake with red food coloring?  What are you calling a red velvet cake?

I've learned in SoCal not to assume we are talking about the same thing.

NC girl here, btw, transplanted to SoCal.

Denise said:

Curious...who said Red Velvet can ONLY be iced with cream cheese frosting? Red Velvet is basically a chocolate cake with red food coloring in it.
Thank you all for your response. But I still have not gotten any answers to how possible would it be to have both cream cheese icing and vanilla on one cake.

Well put the cream cheese as the filling and ice the outter part in buttercream so it will be the same as the other teirs. 

WOw that is going to be a huge cake, make sure you have the right foundation and structure to it for support.  I get nervous with just 3 teirs.  Good Luck

Dawn, thanks for the clarification on Red Velvet, I figured it was just chocolate cake with red dye too.... But I wouldn't really know since I use DH Red Velvet mix and am attempting a doctored recipe tonight.  I am a fan of the Doctored Box Mix... But I loved the way you said you usually "Politely Simply Disagree", you are so funny... I am so glad you have joined us!!!!

Thank you Denise, I'll definitely try that out... Would you kindly elaborate on the bit you mentioned about the sugar giving the red velvet a richer red appearance pls.

Gretchen, thank you for your advice, you mentioned getting the wright foundation, would you kindly elaborate pls, as this is going to be my first wedding cake and I know I can do it most especially with the wright advice and assistance.
With 8 teirs it will be a very heavy cake, cardboard cake drums wont be steardy enough.  YOu might want to use ply wood.  I have never done anything this big so I can't tell you from experience.  Someone else may be able to do that for you.  But I am sure you need some serious supports in the cake.

I am a huge user of the doctored cake mixes.  However, the boxed red velvet has way too much chocolate flavor in it.  I use the Hints from Heloise doctored mix for my Red Velvet (starts with a yellow cake mix) or from scratch.

Gretchen Belsome said:

Well put the cream cheese as the filling and ice the outter part in buttercream so it will be the same as the other teirs. 

WOw that is going to be a huge cake, make sure you have the right foundation and structure to it for support.  I get nervous with just 3 teirs.  Good Luck

Dawn, thanks for the clarification on Red Velvet, I figured it was just chocolate cake with red dye too.... But I wouldn't really know since I use DH Red Velvet mix and am attempting a doctored recipe tonight.  I am a fan of the Doctored Box Mix... But I loved the way you said you usually "Politely Simply Disagree", you are so funny... I am so glad you have joined us!!!!

Wow, Thank you so ,much ladies. Will definitely keep you posted bout the cake. Have a good evening.

My cream cheese icing and BC is almost the same color because I use butter in my BC - so it's not white-white to begin with.  They match close enough to the naked eye - I could get away with it.

If yours doesn't, you can always tint your white BC to be the same color as your cream cheese - which is white to the naked eye - just not bright white.  Or maybe add white-white coloring to your ceam cheese.  I've never done this, but it should work in theory.

Or - use BC and flavor it with cream cheese flavoring (not my favorite suggestion but will work).

Or do like someone else suggested and use cream cheese as the filling only (again, not my fav suggestion - because you still have BC on RV,  which sounds yuckie to me - but it's not about me.  If the bride says OK - then go for it.)

aisha said:

Thank you all for your response. But I still have not gotten any answers to how possible would it be to have both cream cheese icing and vanilla on one cake.

I got the recipe from here and I have a box of red velvet so I am going to use it tonight.  I am going to try it out on the guys at work, two of thems birthday was this week.  But I have another one I am doing for Monday so I will see how it comes out.  Thanks for sharing.

Dawn Becker said:

I am a huge user of the doctored cake mixes.  However, the boxed red velvet has way too much chocolate flavor in it.  I use the Hints from Heloise doctored mix for my Red Velvet (starts with a yellow cake mix) or from scratch.

Gretchen Belsome said:

Denise, that sound like a brilliant idea. Will definitely go with that option. Thank you!

I just saw the attachment.....OMG really!!!! That is a lot of roses, have you started on them now????? I would never have taken this on as my first wedding cake.  I haven't done one, but I am a hobby baker not a pro so I am scared of the wedding cake!!!!  I will leave those to the pros!!!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service