Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

I am hoping someone on this site can help me out.  A few weeks ago there was a video on here demonstrating a clear mat for rolling out fondant...I believe the price was $15.99.  I have searched this site and so far am having no luck.  I did write down the phone number but am afraid I've lost it.

Thank you all in advance.

Sharon

Views: 7588

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey I found another use for The Mat.

Good for gumpaste flowers and decoration cutouts. If you need a large area to store your cutouts while you are working on a project you can save time by cutting out all your petals first and putting them in The Mat. I was able to cut out about 25 or more rectangles for fabric rolled roses and put them inbetween the 2 sheets then work with them (I was using tylose gumpaste). This saved alot of time because I didn't have to go back and forth with the rolling and cutting while I was assembling the roses.

FYI...I didn't have time to work on all of them so I rolled the mat up with the gumpaste inside then used it the next day and the gumpaste didn't dry out (well it did a little on the pieces that were around the borders of The Mat) but the area on the inside kept the gumpaste pliable.   YES!!!

Thanks Glenda

That is a really good tip.  I bought myself the Mat this past summer. Planning on maybe making some poinsettia's, and this trick will help.

Glenda Mendello said:

Hey I found another use for The Mat.

Good for gumpaste flowers and decoration cutouts. If you need a large area to store your cutouts while you are working on a project you can save time by cutting out all your petals first and putting them in The Mat. I was able to cut out about 25 or more rectangles for fabric rolled roses and put them inbetween the 2 sheets then work with them (I was using tylose gumpaste). This saved alot of time because I didn't have to go back and forth with the rolling and cutting while I was assembling the roses.

FYI...I didn't have time to work on all of them so I rolled the mat up with the gumpaste inside then used it the next day and the gumpaste didn't dry out (well it did a little on the pieces that were around the borders of The Mat) but the area on the inside kept the gumpaste pliable.   YES!!!

I use freezer paper to roll out fondant- works great- and it is cheap and you can throw it out after- clean up is great!

I CANT SAY ENOUGH ABOUT THE MAT.  IT IS THE ONE TOOL I WOULD NOT BE WITHOUT EVER AGAIN.  MAKE SURE WHEN YOU USE IT FOR THE FIRST TIME YOU SEASON IT WELL OR IT WILL STICK..THAT SAID...YOU WILL FALL IN LOVE WITH IT FOR SURE. ROLLING OUT FONDANT WITH THE MAT IS MUCH EASIER AND FASTER.....

I have had the mat since back in the summer and absolutely wouldn't do without it either even with Jay Qualls rolled fondant his is based on the same concept he has his fondant rolled out between to large pieces of plastice or vinyl This is the greatest tool especially when making multiple layers with fondant.  Love it Love it.

For people that have bought this, how was it shipped? I am in New Zealand, and here the mat cost's $65 NZD , equivalent to $52 USD. If I shipped it , it would cost me the price, but 40 us for shipping  ! I thought if it could be rolled, a tube would be cheaper to send it with.

How much did you pay for shipping to Canada when you ordered ?

Hey Stacey

I bought the "Mat", and although I am thrilled with it, it still cost me a pretty penny to ship from USA to Canada.

I have since found in several places here, the hardware store, Wal Mart,  heavy food grade vinyl in a pull out roll where you cut as much of it as you need. Much, much cheaper. I bought a very small amount to try it out & use to keep my gumpaste from drying out, as the Mat is so large for small projects. It worked every bit as well as the Mat. So check out those options before you spend all that $$$$ on purchase & shipping.

Hope this helps Stacey

Thanks June, Ill have a look and see if we have that kind of stuff here :)

Okey Dokey

I hope you can find some. It is so much cheaper. Try the paint section of your hardware store. Also try your local fabric store. You may be surprised who carries this.

TIP:: I first used the mat and had great results. I seasoned it used it then rolled it up (did not wipe). I did this about 20 times. After watching the video on how to properly care for and store on the sweetwise site I decided to wipe it with a dry paper towel and I think this is where things went wrong. It seems after I did this it started warping. This resulted in uneven warped fondant when rolled out. I contacted sweetwise by email about a month ago to see if this could have caused the problem but have not gotten a response. Just an fyi in case you are thinking about wiping down your mat however I cannot say for sure that the wiping down caused it since I had also put alot of pressure on it with my rolling pin. Anyone else have this problem? 

I am going to aus for a holiday and I have just found the cake decorating shop I wish to visit sells it for 40 :) Much cheaper !

I have the MAT and LOVE IT! So if you are thinking about it.... well worth it. It saves me so much money, time, & stress of being able to roll out the fondant fast enough, thin enough and still getting it on the cake before it dries out. Now I have a system of rolling it out, then handing other things.... coming back 30min-1 hour later and being able to fondant the cake no problem!!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service