Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Hi everyone,

My giant cupcake mould turned up today :-) I couldnt wait to try it. However,mmm,

it didnt turn out quite right! The cake itself is fine. I made sure i greased the both the moulds well as directed on instruction leaflet but a small amount did get stuck. It said to use marg so thats what i used could this be why ?

I cooked it at gas 4 for 35 mins ( the top ) and and extra 10 mins for the base. The cake is lovley. It rose perfectly but maybe a little too soft ?

I was quite impressed for a first go at this !!

I didnt actually have the full amount for the top LOL so it wasnt as big as it should be. But this is a trial run. I should of been more patient and had a trial run tomorow but i couldnt help myself !!

It mentioned using a ' box' mix? which i have to say, would be a little easier for me. But i did expect to make up my own mix. Is a box mix ok ? Are the amounts in box mixes all the same ?

I actually used, for the trial run a couple of packet mixes that a neighbour had given me a while back. I dont usually like using these. 

I thought, rather than wasting eggs,butter,caster sugar etc on a cake that could possibly end up in the bin!  i'd use these instead.

Im sure The Giant CupCake Queen can help me ;-)

But id be so happy for any advise, i shant put a pic of it on as its not perfect ( i decided to ice it and im having a nightmare with that at the moment lol )

Thank for any help

Lisa

Views: 521

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Firstly Lisa
I would decorate your cake the day before. MUCH less stressful, trust me! You will be under the gun to do it right, and little time to spare if problems arise. The cake can sit on a counter overnight, no refrigeration necessary. I go to my local grocery store & ask for a banana box. They are good & sturdy. I place a piece of rubber shelf liner from the dollar store on the bottom of the box. Another on the car trunk floor. Once your cake is sitting on the rubber, it won't move or shift. Same in the trunk, box stays secure sitting on the matting. I also bring a kit with me of extra icing, decorator bag, tip & any extra decorations, in case somehow there is damage, I can repair it. :0)

Thanks June, so i can make and decorate the day before ? That would be so much better lol

I thought of asking for a box of some sort from my local shop, where she works, which i where ive got to take it before she leaves work.

I was so worried the cake would go hard overnight as i'm only putting buttercream icing on the top of it.

I'm not using fontant around it, just on the cakeboard. Thought i would make deep ish 7inch sponge cake,cover that too in fondant and place the giant cupcake on top of that. Then i can have some of the butterflies trailling up towards the cake too.

The whole thing sounds terrific Lisa - can't wait to see it.  Yes, you can decorate the day before.  What I do when I have done that with butter icing in the past is to make a big dome of foil and put it over the cake as snug as possible without it touching.  That keeps most of the air away from it, plus any unwanted things - like dust!  

If you can't get a box, you can transport it like that too.

Your buttercream will "crust"/go hard" overnight. it is suppose to. That will not affect the taste.  I thought your cupcake was large, from a cupcake shaped molded cake tin?  When I made mine, I improvised. Stacked 3 9"x 2" cakes, then used a round bowl to create the "dome" of the cupcake, which, of course, went on top. So the whole cake was probably 10" x 12". Larger after icing was added. That fed about 15-18 people. What size is your cupcake cake tin??  if you put your cupcake on top of another cake, you are going to have to put wooden supports through it into the cake below, or else it might come off when transporting. How many people is the cake to feed??  

Good point June - dowels are going to be called for by the sound of things.  Unless cupcake is positioned after delivery?

Thanks,

The top part of the base is 7 inch and the top is about an inch bigger. I did think of doing the 9 ich tins i have and the bowl but i dont have a pyrex bowl to do that. So i bought the mould instead . Im also doing normal sized cupcakes decorated to match the main cake so theres enough.

Would i be able to get the dowles from my cake suppliers ? I need to get a cake board from there too.

I think i put a pic on somewhere of it.

Im delivering it to her before she leaves work on sat morning.

Thank you both x

Yep - wooden dowels from your cake suppliers or I have used wooden bbq skewers too!

Hey, ive got some of them!  although im not sure there thick enough?

:-)

Yes as Katy said, from the cake supply.  Can't use wood from the lumberyard, as they could be toxic or leave splinters.  Measure and make sure when you push the dowels/skewars into the cake, that none of the dowel shows at the top of your cake. This may not be so critical for you as your covering with large icing rose petals.  I usually hold the dowel up against the cake for reference, cut off any excess dowel that will show.

To be on the safe side Lis, I would probably use the dowels, they are a bit thicker.  My bbq skewers were the thickness shown on my halloween cookiepops pic.

I got stuck when I did my baptisim cake Katy. I thought I had a pkg of dowels.... nope. Used them up and forgot to buy more. Had no car that day, so I knew I had some wooden stir sticks for coffee. I just put 3 sticks together, glued them with royal icing, pushed them in about 3" apart.  Worked just fine. Knew the stir sticks were food safe. 

Funnily enough, I was going to suggest to Lis that she stick two or three bbq skewers together, but wasn't sure it would work.  Now I know it will - thank you!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service