Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

HELP PLEASE - Timeline for 200 cupcakes and a 3 layer 6" cake

Hello, I am hoping someone can help me out.  I have my first big order to fill coming up on the 22nd of this month.  I have to make 200 cupcakes (100 vanilla and 100 chocolate) as well as a 3 layer 6" vanilla buttercream covered cake.  My question is, what should my timeline be?  How soon can I start baking and still have them be fresh for the wedding?  I have limited fridge and freezer space so storing them there is not really an option.  Also, How long can the batter sit out?  I mean can I have a batch sitting in the pan while some are baking, while I mix the next batch? Please advise. Thanks, Rosa.

Views: 485

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rosa

Is there any way you could "borrow"  some space in a friends freezer??  You could do 1.  Bake the cupcakes now, freeze, and decorate them 48 hrs.  before. If they are stored in a cool area, they will be fine. You could also do the same for the  cake/cakes.  2.  Another scenario,  bake & ice cupcakes now in bc icing & freeze.  The downside to that is you need space In your freezer so the top of the cupcakes don't get crushed & your icing can't be piped very high.

Your batter can sit out on the counter while you are filling your other pans. Batter can also be made ahead & frozen as well. Taken out & brought to room temperature to use.

Hope this helps somewhat. 

:o)

Don't panic!  YOU can do this!  I made 550 cupcakes and a 4   tier wedding cake  last summer all in the same week!  Bake the cakes first... cover them tightly with foil and they will keep well for several days.  Here is what I did:  Monday, baked the cake it was a 12-10-8-6 with 4" tiers so had 8 cakes to bake.... and the 6" topper for the cupcake display.   Covered them all tight with foil and let them sit over night.  Tuesday Evening... mixed up the butter cream and fillings for the cake and got them all filled and dirty iced and put them in the cooler (I have an extra fridge for my cakes)  Wednesday got everything all ready to go for the cupcakes all ingredients out and ready to roll (I had made 800 flowers for them way ahead of time so they were all done as I had the flowers all made for the cake ahead of time too)

Thursday I baked the cupcakes and put them in boxes that could be covered in foil.  I have the plastic cupcakes carriers but not enough for 550 ;-)  Covered them all after they cooled very well.  Once I got the cupcakes all baked, I covered the cake in fondant and did the stenciling work on it. 

Friday put the icing swirls all on the cupcakes and put the flowers on them.  Recovered them with the foil and iced the 6" topper that was to go with that order.  On Saturday, I delivered the cake order first got it all set up then came home picked up the cupcakes and drove them out to the ranch venue.  Set them all up and went back to the wedding with the cake it was for my niece!   

The key is to make lists of everything you must complete each day and stick to them.  I make the lists by the week so I can see where I will get everything done each day.  Believe in yourself!  You can do this!

I have attached some pictures for you... If I can do this... you can too!

Attachments:

And yes by all means mix up the next batch of batter while one is baking.  It does go much faster if you have 4 pans.  I have 4 standard size and 4 of the minis and it goes super fast that way!  Hope it all goes together for you!  Make those lists now!!!  And if you have flowers to make for those cupcakes... get them done now!

Good Luck!

It is nice to have a extra fridge, I did, but I am not in a true cake business, & it wasn't getting used, so we sold it. This is a hobby for me, with the occasional cake sold. But I have discovered coolers, as Jeri suggested. If you put in freezer packs, and place a piece of cardboard on too, then your cupcakes, works really well. Also Jeri is right about being organized. I am that type of person anyway. A big list naker. That helps keep you on track. By the way Jeri, your cakes & cupct were beautiful. :o)

Thank you very much ladies.  I will definitely make my list and try to be as prepared and organized as possible.  Oh and Jeri, your pictures are beautiful.  Thanks for sharing. :)

Well Rosa - what can I say?  Nothing more to add here, except - good luck and DON'T PANIC!  Jeri, I have put you in my league of superheroes!  Your cakes are gorgeous!

Thanks ladies... I have been at it just a few years (35) ;-) 

June, I don't actually use a "cooler"  I was referring to my spare fridge.  Sorry!  I would worry about a cooler having too much moisture and sweating.   When we moved, I brought my spare side by side and have it for my cake use.... and when the kids are home it gets filled with their favorite brews!  Here in Oregon those boys love their beer! 

I really need to get my albums updated.... it has been over a year since I have added any pictures.  Have lots to share... just need to get it done!!!

Have all the decors ready, decors will not spoil even 1 week advance. Prepare the cake board, cake boxes ahead then do you cake and cupcakes 2 or 3 days before the date. Do not do everything on the same day, you'll be very tired and may not finish on time. I do not store my cakes and cupcakes in the fridge because it will have some moisture as it will affect the fondant. I just make sure that after decorating it will be delivered or pick up in few minutes.

Hey Jeri

I would kill for a xtra fridge. Like I said, I had one, but it wasn't getting used. No grandkids yet, so perhaps when we do, hubby may reconsider getting one.  But using all the electricity to run a empty fridge, with the occasional cake in it, just doesn't make sense.

I totally agree June... We used to have our big freezer and seems like after our kids all left home we were always throwing out things in the freezer that got freezer burned so we decided to bring my old side by side with us and we would still have a little extra freezer space and I win because I have an extra fridge when I need it!!!  I do a couple cakes a month or more so I do use it. 

And Maria... I don't put the cakes in the fridge if it is already covered in fondant.  I know some people do.... I never used to put them in the fridge at all even after coating with butter cream... but I have found the cake is firmer and holds the fondant better if it is cold.  So I do now!  Isn't it great that there is never a cut and dried way to do things in the world of cake??? Love that we all have our methods and can share!!! 

Hi Ladies, thank you all for all your responses.  I have one more questions for you pros. :)  My icing recipe consist of 2 cups of fat with 2 lbs of powdered sugar, do you think I would be able to make a double of it in my 5 qt commercial KA?

I use a pound of butter with a 4lb bag of powdered sugar and cream and I make it in my 6qt.  So I am thinking you would be able to. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service