Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

I'm just curious... how many of you have shipped or do ship cakes? What kinds of problems have you encountered, i.e. what do you do if the cake is damaged during shipping? Do you only ship cakes that don't require refrigeration or do you use dry ice? Basically, just wondering if this works for you or is it too much trouble?

Views: 5042

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

And, if you ship cakes I would love to see how they are packaged. Pics please.
Can you ship them without damage? I found info for cookies. They required so much plastic wrap and styrophaom packaging and that still garantee any damage. I would be afraid to send cake and it be damaged.
I know that there are those that do but I could not do it. My luck it would arrive as a pile of crumbs... Have you seen how the UPS guys throw things around? Just can not imagine it!
people come to the Ices convention from all over the world and they bring the most beautiful delicate cakes! I'm still puzzled on how! My husband claims you can ship anything if it is packaged right. (me I'm not so sure) LOL
I guess they must have stock in the bubble wrap company. LOL
Jen...
I'm with you Jennifer. I'm sure people do it all the time but I just don't see how, especially if it's decorated with buttercream. I would be so afraid something would happen to it and ruin someone's day. Can't wait to hear an answer to this question.

Jennifer Mellor said:
people come to the Ices convention from all over the world and they bring the most beautiful delicate cakes! I'm still puzzled on how! My husband claims you can ship anything if it is packaged right. (me I'm not so sure) LOL
I guess they must have stock in the bubble wrap company. LOL
Jen...
no one used butter cream! That would have been insane! LOL There is no way you could send a buttercream cake unless you could send it frozen some how. Hmmm.....
I do a cake of the month club of dessert cakes (not decked out decorated), and I have yet to have a 100% successful ship outside of my 1 day area. The first time was a complete disaster! Check out the photo. It was sent priority and well packaged with dry ice,and labled well too. The replacement cake was sent in a cooler type box I got from ULINE again packaged very well and well marked fragile & parishable and also which side is up. The client told me the mail man delivered it holding it on its side. Luckily it was still semi frozen and didn't have too much damage. The last one was a bundt cake so much sturdier than the italian cream cake shipped before. The package again marked clearly this time was handed to the client UPSIDE DOWN! It was broken in 3 pieces. She has been very wonderful and not angry with me about the post offices handling of the package. This time I am going to try a different carrier, but the cost is almost 3 times to deliver than the priority rate at the post office. Overnight with any of them is just rediculous and already because of the shipping issues and replacements I am in the hole on this one particular cake subscription. It sucks! I have uploaded the photos of the first cake fiasco. At least I was smart enough to put insurance on the shipment so I was able to at least recoup $100 plus the original shipping costs so I could replace the totally destroyed cake.
Attachments:
Oh you can ship with either Fedex or UPS with their white gloves or door to door service but the starting price is $3000 per shipment for that kind of care. Can't see someone paying me $36000 just to ship a $360 annual cake subscription to them. They would have to pay $36360 for the entire subscription! So each 7" single layer round cake would cost them $3030! Yeah I don't see that happening...LOL!
I never trust postman! They can't even get the mail to the right address let a lone deliver a cake in any kind of decent shape. LOL
Jen...
Wow, I guess there's no way it's worth it. Not with mailmen like mine out there.
Hi Theresa, I asked a contact of mine how they delivered their cakes nationally and she said if you make the cake visible - for example cover the box with a clear plastic over the top so the couriers can see what is inside then they take notice of the fragile, this side up and perishable messages all over the box!
Hi everyone, i will put my two cents. I do ship cakes. You just have to go to any dry ice vendor which can be found online, and buy the special box. They come in different sizes, most of the time in square shape. I make sure that my cake is cover in fondant, and completely dry. Wrap my cake in plastic from top to bottom, making sure that the support and saran wrap keep the cake in one piece. Until now i had successfully send 3 tier cakes, sizes 8",6" y 4", and 10", 8" and 6". I use a box call TermoSafe and comes in different sizes, it's comes with a corrugate carton for shipment, the ones that I use have printed "PERISHABLE"...and I also write in all four sides "THIS SIDE UP" with the arrows pointing up. I send them Priority Mail with insurance and the cakes arrive safe and chilly.

For information about the dry ice and shipping containers go to www.dryiceinfo.com , hope this info help.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service