Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Im doing a Louis Vuitton cake for someone, first purse cake all excited...etc...until now. To do the pattern on the side. (here's a picture of a LV purse) I can't (or won't for consistency sake) hand paint all these.

I have heard of having a bakery print the pattern on rice paper, I believe, but that it is very fragile, so I'm guessing it won't bend and form to the cake.

So, I cut out the logos (there are 4 different ones) and traced them onto dehydrated sponges?! cut them out, wet the sponges so they'd swell to use like stamps. Good in theory, but the sponge had too many hole and didn't look right.

TAKE TWO - Carved "stamps" out of potatoes, yes you heard right, potatoes, took me hours, but I was like...'oh ya, I'm the man'....NOT...it appears that the potatoes are too moist/wet for the gold paint/gel to stick to it. :-(

So here I am, have one day left to do this cake and dont know what to do...any suggestions please!!!??????? Im desperate!!!

Views: 2010

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Her

Here are my foamies so far. Just need to mount them on styrofoam or something. Hope this works, or on to plan...whatever letter we're at. Plastic stencils.

(PS, I remembered to the the mirror image when I cut this time) lol

Thumbs up for your creative ideas!  I'm at a loss for any fresh ideas but thinking you could have probably painted them all on by now!  Post your finished cake!

Karen - I was thinking the same thing! LOL

In the future, I really think printing it on edible sheets would have been your best bet, but you still would have had to cut them out.  Or, handpainting them. 

Karen said:

Thumbs up for your creative ideas!  I'm at a loss for any fresh ideas but thinking you could have probably painted them all on by now!  Post your finished cake!

YIKES! Handpainting...I'd be here for days Im sure, and they wouldn't look even. Here's the "stamping" done. Not the best pic took it on my phone, I will take better ones with my real camera once Im totally done. I'm pleased, although it was tricky getting them lined up the way i would like. Will have to work on that more next time.

CAKE STAMPING DONE

Just for future reference:  To use potato stamps, you need to let the potato dry for at least 2 hrs on paper towels, but it could take longer.

Good luck Jennifer T.

Nice job, it came out great!

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP EVERYONE! I finally got it done. After a few setbacks...Im pretty pleased..until I look at all the flaws :(

Any suggestions as to how to take the SHINE/SHEEN OFF fondant? have been struggling on many a cake with that one.

I use powdered sugar to take the shine/sheen off fondant. Then, if it looks too dusty, I lightly "paint" the cake with a clear alcohol, such as vodka. The alcohol will evaporate so you can't taste it. The cake doesn't get shiny, it has a matte finish.

Jenifer T said:

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP EVERYONE! I finally got it done. After a few setbacks...Im pretty pleased..until I look at all the flaws :(

Any suggestions as to how to take the SHINE/SHEEN OFF fondant? have been struggling on many a cake with that one.

Jenifer, I'm guessing the easiest route would be to cut templates (print the pattern, then cover it front and back with clear contact paper -- very flexible), and either trace the outline of the shapes onto the fondant with a light-colored food color marker, or paint around the outline with a very thin artist's brush.  Then, you can paint the inside.

ETA:  Oooops, just after I posted, I saw that you already had the cake finished.  Glad it turned out ok!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service