Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

This is Serious Cakes'  Buttercream Recipe... This is the one I use.  Everyone loves the taste of it and it crusts nicely.

Buttercream Frosting

Ingredients
22 tbs salted butter, softened (about 3 sticks)
2/3 c. shortening
5-8 tbs heavy cream
2 tsp clear vanilla
2 lbs powdered sugar (about 8 cups)
1-3 tbs corn syrup

Instructions
Cream together butter and shortening until smooth. Slowly add 2 tsp. vanilla and 5 tbs. heavy cream. Gradually add the powdered sugar and scrape down the bowl very well once it’s all added. Slowly add more cream and corn syrup a tbs at a time until frosting reaches desired consistency.

Views: 10243

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have some questions about your recipe. How many tbs of corn syrp and heavy cream do you add. How do I know if I need to add more corn syrup and or heavy cream?
This is not my recipe but my friend's, Serious Cakes, recipe. How much liquid you add depends on how stiff you want your icing. Humidity plays a roll also. On real humid days here in Ohio, I don't add any liquid beyond the 5-8 tbs. of heavy cream, and sometimes I don't even add that much. It just depends on what you prefer.
Can you use fondant over this icing?
I don't work with fondant but I don't see why not, it is buttercream.
Since the corn syrup is added, could you use this for rolled buttercream or is it still soft? I have read somewhere that if you add corn syrup that it makes rolled buttercream, but I can't remember the amount of syrup added.
Amber, I do not know the answer to this question. My guess would be no. I found a link to a rolled buttercream recipe...http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Rolled-Buttercream-Fondant/Detail.aspx

Amber Davis said:
Since the corn syrup is added, could you use this for rolled buttercream or is it still soft? I have read somewhere that if you add corn syrup that it makes rolled buttercream, but I can't remember the amount of syrup added.
This is THE best frosting ever! I made a wedding cake this past May and the Chef from the kitchen tasted the frosting and commented it was the best he has ever tasted and he makes cakes every week for all the events that take place at the resort. Asked me to send him the recipe.
I posted your message on her facebook page so she is sure to see it.
That is such a huge compliment!! *blush* :D
Well Swiss buttercream can not be used under fondant and I just wanted to be sure. Also read that this buttercream sometimes melts a bit. So if anyone has used this under fondant would you please let me know? I soooo appreciate it. Don't want to have a disaster on my hands..... well that can still happen just because! lol

Kathy Kmonk said:
Thanks for the link; it helps me alot. I am new to this and am trying to learn all I can. I think I will make some rolled buttercream today.

Kathy Kmonk said:
Amber, I do not know the answer to this question. My guess would be no. I found a link to a rolled buttercream recipe...http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Rolled-Buttercream-Fondant/Detail.aspx

Amber Davis said:
The melting only occurs if you are decorating with it on a hot day or if you are decorating for a long period of time, the heat from your hands tends to make it a little thinner. I'm sure it would be fine under fondant.

D. Ariola said:
Well Swiss buttercream can not be used under fondant and I just wanted to be sure. Also read that this buttercream sometimes melts a bit. So if anyone has used this under fondant would you please let me know? I soooo appreciate it. Don't want to have a disaster on my hands..... well that can still happen just because! lol

Kathy Kmonk said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service