Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Hi everyone,

I absolutely LOVE this cake that one of my clients showed me.  If you are not familiar with what a "SAREE" is, it is a very long piece of fabric that a woman would drape around a woman.  The fabrics come in vibrant colors, sequences, styles etc....

So the cake is for an 80th birthday, and before I can commit to it ..i wanted to know if anyone can assit me in how you would do the draping shown on the cake?  Is it just a big piece of fondant put onto the cake and then pleated?  Would you then decorate the fondant once it is on the cake?  I'm scared of it cracking and drying out....

Any thoughts or advice??

Here is the cake:

http://sareedreams.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/sari_cake.jpg

Thank you!!

Views: 4353

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Deah - in that picture, how did they do the half gold on the fondant? Would it be sprayed/painted on first and then placed on the cake? Wouldn't it dry up the fondant then??

Deah said:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carynscakes/3647198497/

I'm guessing this cake uses orchids to hide the seams in the fondant. 

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and suggestions!   The cake is definitely a stunning one and thanks Deah for finding the person who originally designed it!! :)

@ Tracy - yes that is a good idea, 50/50 mix...!! Thank you...

@ June - you are absolutely right it is not going to be this big it was just an idea from the client.  I will be doing a 2-tier cake.

What is the best way to get the gold color on fondant? Is there a spray?

Meera, my guess would be that they airbrushed the fondant with gold luster after it was placed on the cake and then added the bottom trim pieces.  I suspect you could also hand brush the fondant with a luster/vodka "paint" but I don't think you'd get the even tone.

Meera said:

Deah - in that picture, how did they do the half gold on the fondant? Would it be sprayed/painted on first and then placed on the cake? Wouldn't it dry up the fondant then??

Deah said:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carynscakes/3647198497/

I'm guessing this cake uses orchids to hide the seams in the fondant. 

Check this out Meera @ Golda's

Lustre Spray - Gold

Create stunning lustre effects with this easy to use lustre spray colour. Add a wonderful new dimension of styling and elegance to celebration cakes, chocolates, cupcakes, cookies, and desserts. Use this lustre spray colour to highlight, enhance, and decorate a wide range of decorative materials including…
100 millilitre/3.4 ounce spray canister
Colour/Pattern: Gold
$15.25

Meera, I want to give credit where credit is due.  Ruby knew the designer.  I just looked up their website from the information Ruby provided.

Meera said:

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and suggestions!   The cake is definitely a stunning one and thanks Deah for finding the person who originally designed it!! :)

@ Tracy - yes that is a good idea, 50/50 mix...!! Thank you...

@ June - you are absolutely right it is not going to be this big it was just an idea from the client.  I will be doing a 2-tier cake.

What is the best way to get the gold color on fondant? Is there a spray?

If you can get SugarVeil, you need to try it!  It is so simple to use, and for a project like this all you would need for tools would be a silicon/non-stick mat, and something to spread the icing with.  It is amazing stuff!  The closest I have found in product comparison are those icing sheets that Wilton now sells, but those are limited in size.  Do not be intimidated by the unique qualities and properties of this product.  I waited over a year to attempt using the products I was given as a gift, and I am kicking myself now, let me tell you!  Now I can hardly wait to use it on another project!1

You can tint SugarVeil just like any other whipped icing.  I use either paste or dry colours in mine, because it does not add any other moisture, so it won't affect my final product.  If you use a liquid colour, you would add it to the hot water before mixing the icing, but you will probably have a subdued tone rather than the bright vibrant tones of sari fabric.

Once you have your "fabric" dried and ready to use, use a cutter to make the scalloped edge of the sari.  Once you have it draped/placed, you can decorate it exactly the same as you would any other finished cake surface.  If you are going to paint anything onto it, make sure you use an alcohol based medium (I use luster dust mixed with vodka), because water will damage your product.  If I was making this piece, I would tint the SugarVeil at the mixing point, and then brush liberally with luster dust once the piece was applied to the cake.

One word of advice ... once your SugarVeil fabric is in place, it will start to dry.  It only stays pliable as long as it is not exposed to air for too long.  Once it is dry, it can be very fragile, so you want to be careful in transporting anything with this kind of dimension.

Hi all,

I would like to share the cake I finally did!!  It took awhile to figure out how I was going to do it, but I'm quite happy with the end result. Please let me know what you think! :)

Attachments:

Awesome job.  Cake looks great.

Amazing Meera

Are the bangles real, or gumpaste???

Meera said:

Hi all,

I would like to share the cake I finally did!!  It took awhile to figure out how I was going to do it, but I'm quite happy with the end result. Please let me know what you think! :)

Thank you Goreti and June! :)

June the bangles are made out of gumpaste.  I took a bangle of mine and imprinted it on to make it look as real as possible.

WOW Meera!  Excellent job, I know they were very pleased with it.

Wow

You did an amazing job!!!! The bangles look so real. They must have been thrilled with the cake

Meera said:

Thank you Goreti and June! :)

June the bangles are made out of gumpaste.  I took a bangle of mine and imprinted it on to make it look as real as possible.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service