Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Has anyone used rice crispy treats to mold things? If so, do you just make the reciepe the same as normal? Anything helps!!!

Views: 49248

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

mee tooo! I use the recipe on the box with NO butter or oil added

and if you cook them again after they are made...get them hot....they will get hard as a rock when they cool. So you can play with them while they are warm...when they cool you have a hard hockey puck...if you need them hard and stuck together for life that is....
HEy jeri..
after you have made the RKT do you cover it with buttercream and then fondant..or no need for buttercream?
First time making RKT with fondant! thanks

jeri c said:
OK... reading this post has me craving RKT!!! I used to make them when I was coaching softball for our team all the time. We had road trips that were 4 to 5 hours and they loved it when I made treats!!! OK>... off to make a batch to munch on!
No need for buttercream, but I usually do 2 layers of fondant. One to smooth over any bumps and the other layer to finish it.

=]

Sweet Art Cakes! said:
HEy jeri..
after you have made the RKT do you cover it with buttercream and then fondant..or no need for buttercream?
First time making RKT with fondant! thanks

jeri c said:
OK... reading this post has me craving RKT!!! I used to make them when I was coaching softball for our team all the time. We had road trips that were 4 to 5 hours and they loved it when I made treats!!! OK>... off to make a batch to munch on!
Thanks Jeanne...
Been reading on some other forums and they actually recommended RI (royal icing) or ganache...to help with the bumps...I have to make a mickey mouse clubhouse cake for my little son's cake so wanted to make Mickey's head with RKT...will pratice...first time making RKT ..lol!


Jeanne said:
No need for buttercream, but I usually do 2 layers of fondant. One to smooth over any bumps and the other layer to finish it.

=]

Sweet Art Cakes! said:
HEy jeri..
after you have made the RKT do you cover it with buttercream and then fondant..or no need for buttercream?
First time making RKT with fondant! thanks

jeri c said:
OK... reading this post has me craving RKT!!! I used to make them when I was coaching softball for our team all the time. We had road trips that were 4 to 5 hours and they loved it when I made treats!!! OK>... off to make a batch to munch on!
IMHO... using buttercream or ganache makes things more difficult since it moves around and squishes out from places. Royal will work, but you have to let it dry and then sand it down... more time. I just slap fondant on... smooth it all out and lay on a finish layer of fondant. It takes no time at all.

=]


Sweet Art Cakes! said:
Thanks Jeanne...
Been reading on some other forums and they actually recommended RI (royal icing) or ganache...to help with the bumps...I have to make a mickey mouse clubhouse cake for my little son's cake so wanted to make Mickey's head with RKT...will pratice...first time making RKT ..lol!


Jeanne said:
No need for buttercream, but I usually do 2 layers of fondant. One to smooth over any bumps and the other layer to finish it.

=]

Sweet Art Cakes! said:
HEy jeri..
after you have made the RKT do you cover it with buttercream and then fondant..or no need for buttercream?
First time making RKT with fondant! thanks

jeri c said:
OK... reading this post has me craving RKT!!! I used to make them when I was coaching softball for our team all the time. We had road trips that were 4 to 5 hours and they loved it when I made treats!!! OK>... off to make a batch to munch on!
I think I love your idea the best....
Gonna have a try this weekend will post pics of how it tunrs out..thanks alot for your help!

Jeanne said:
IMHO... using buttercream or ganache makes things more difficult since it moves around and squishes out from places. Royal will work, but you have to let it dry and then sand it down... more time. I just slap fondant on... smooth it all out and lay on a finish layer of fondant. It takes no time at all.

=]


Sweet Art Cakes! said:
Thanks Jeanne...
Been reading on some other forums and they actually recommended RI (royal icing) or ganache...to help with the bumps...I have to make a mickey mouse clubhouse cake for my little son's cake so wanted to make Mickey's head with RKT...will pratice...first time making RKT ..lol!


Jeanne said:
No need for buttercream, but I usually do 2 layers of fondant. One to smooth over any bumps and the other layer to finish it.

=]

Sweet Art Cakes! said:
HEy jeri..
after you have made the RKT do you cover it with buttercream and then fondant..or no need for buttercream?
First time making RKT with fondant! thanks

jeri c said:
OK... reading this post has me craving RKT!!! I used to make them when I was coaching softball for our team all the time. We had road trips that were 4 to 5 hours and they loved it when I made treats!!! OK>... off to make a batch to munch on!
No problem at all... =]


.
HI:

I only used RKT once so I'm no too familiar with it. I need to do little baby books in a week and I wanted to do them out of RKT - Can you guys tell me how far in advance I can make them? Do the RKT go bad quickly? Dry? Stale? Since the books are a decoration on the cake, I wanted to make them at least a week in advance, would that be OK?
Excellent! =] Glad it worked well for you.

Ines... you will be fine to make them now. They will be harder than normal rice cereal treats, but you want that. They taste good.. just a little stiffer than what you would make to serve as a treat.

=]


Bob White said:
I followed your advice and used the box recipe, leaving out the butter and the results were just what I wanted. Nice and firm, easy to carve...I covered with two layers of fondant rather than using buttercream and the results were very good. I posted the pic in my profile. It's the monkey cake. The blocks, ducky, ears, feet and arms were all made from the Rice Krispies. Thanks for all the help from everyone!

Jeanne said:
If you take out the butter the resulting mass sets up nice and firm. =]


.

Bob White said:
Thanks, Jeanne! I'll try that.
This is great to know and I was wondering the taste and feeling of this as well. So thank you so much for this terrific advice!

Jeanne said:
Excellent! =] Glad it worked well for you.

Ines... you will be fine to make them now. They will be harder than normal rice cereal treats, but you want that. They taste good.. just a little stiffer than what you would make to serve as a treat.

=]


Bob White said:
I followed your advice and used the box recipe, leaving out the butter and the results were just what I wanted. Nice and firm, easy to carve...I covered with two layers of fondant rather than using buttercream and the results were very good. I posted the pic in my profile. It's the monkey cake. The blocks, ducky, ears, feet and arms were all made from the Rice Krispies. Thanks for all the help from everyone!

Jeanne said:
If you take out the butter the resulting mass sets up nice and firm. =]


.

Bob White said:
Thanks, Jeanne! I'll try that.
Thank you Jeanne:

Another question, if you don't mind - They don't need refrigeration right? (After the books are done - covered in fondant and decorated)?
Right... there's no need to chill them since there is nothing perishable inside. =]




Ines Calise said:
Thank you Jeanne:

Another question, if you don't mind - They don't need refrigeration right? (After the books are done - covered in fondant and decorated)?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2021   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service