Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Has anyone used rice crispy treats to mold things? If so, do you just make the reciepe the same as normal? Anything helps!!!

Views: 49370

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rice Krispies Treats – RKT
Originally from cake central

These are great for treats, and for making “fake cakes” and carving 3D sculptures you can cover in fondant or gumpaste. Plus it is easy and cheap!

4 cups (1 lb bag) of rice krispie or similar cereal
5 cups (16 oz bag) of mini marshmallows
1/4 cup butter or vegatable oil

1.1st melt the butter thoroughly in a medium sized pot, then you dump the marshmallows in.
2.Keep mixing until the marshmallows melt and they no longer have a shape.
3.Add the cereal.
4.Stir quickly to make sure all the cereal gets covered in marshmallow. And that’s it.

Additional notes
hint: Love this recipe!! Have never used RKT before so was a bit nervous….worked perfectly. Carved a car and had no problems at all. In answer to the above questions, I pushed it into a tin very firmly, then popped it into the fridge until it was nice and firm. Then I just cut the size I needed and started carving. I didn’t need damp hands. Love it!! (Am about to use it again)
Hope this works as well for you Terra.
Thank you! It does help, I'll be making it thursday so I'll keep my fingers crossed!
You can also pulse them in your food processer for a few minutes dont do it too long but enough to break them up just a bit and you will get a smoother finish to your product.... I just have a hard time not eating them as I go.
Wow Bob, that is quite a difference. I went and revisited the recipe in my files and I thought I copied and pasted this recipe from Cake Central. I will go to Cake Central and see if I can find it again and will let you know if I am able to find it. And now that I read the recipe it sound like it is way to little cereal to that amount of marshmellows....I feel it would be way to soft. So sorry for this confusion... I will do my best to check it out.
Bob, I just revisited the recipe on Cake Central and it is identical to the recipe I posted. Because I have not used this recipe I can not tell you what it is like BUT on Cake Central it was rated 9 out of 10 stars. I have all the ingredients here I think I may give it a try and if I find that it is not right I will probably add more Cereal for I really feel its to loose.
Sorry I could not be more help Bob.
I have used a recipe from a cook book I was given as a girl in 1974. It's a recipe for Marshmallow Krispies and I double and triple it as I need. A double recipe will make enough for me to mould the head, hand, ears and foot for my Mickey Mouse Clubhouse cake. I made only one change (double the amount of MM's) since I figured that modern marshmallows are much smaller than the marshmallows the recipe calls for. Anyway here goes:

20 (modern) Marshmallows (NB These are not mini baking MMs)
2 cups rice crispies
1oz butter or margarine

Melt the butter on low heat, add the MMs and stir until melted. Take off the heat and add the rice crispies and stir until well combined.

At this point I will put on a pair of food prep gloves, rub my hands in crisco and then take out the crispie mixture with my fingers and mould by pressing and shaping with my hands. I set the shapes aside on baking/wax paper and refrigerate until I'm ready to cover in fondant. You can carve into more definite shape once cooled.

Hope this helps.

Suzie
I've used this recipe to make a my wedding dress cakes for shows and it works great, it's easy to work with and comes out perfectly smooth for fondant covering.

Sharon said:
Rice Krispies Treats – RKT
Originally from cake central

These are great for treats, and for making “fake cakes” and carving 3D sculptures you can cover in fondant or gumpaste. Plus it is easy and cheap!

4 cups (1 lb bag) of rice krispie or similar cereal
5 cups (16 oz bag) of mini marshmallows
1/4 cup butter or vegatable oil

1.1st melt the butter thoroughly in a medium sized pot, then you dump the marshmallows in.
2.Keep mixing until the marshmallows melt and they no longer have a shape.
3.Add the cereal.
4.Stir quickly to make sure all the cereal gets covered in marshmallow. And that’s it.

Additional notes
hint: Love this recipe!! Have never used RKT before so was a bit nervous….worked perfectly. Carved a car and had no problems at all. In answer to the above questions, I pushed it into a tin very firmly, then popped it into the fridge until it was nice and firm. Then I just cut the size I needed and started carving. I didn’t need damp hands. Love it!! (Am about to use it again)
Hope this works as well for you Terra.
I make the recipe on the box and leave the butter out when I make them for cake stuff.
I also use the recipe on the box,my grandkids love it when there is leftovers,haha..I batch made a homer simpson head,beer can and donut.Making more tonite for a turtle head.
Hi Bob I just use 4 cups of cereal.

Bob White said:
Great, Shannon! But since you've used this recipe with great success, can you please shed some light on the measurement error in the recipe??? How much cereal do you use when you make the recipe...4 cups or a one pound bag. As you can see, the recipe lists them as if they are one and the same. However, a one pound bag holds about 15 cups of cereal, not 4.

Thanks, Bob.
If you take out the butter the resulting mass sets up nice and firm. =]

Bob White said:
Thanks, Jeanne! I'll try that.
OK... reading this post has me craving RKT!!! I used to make them when I was coaching softball for our team all the time. We had road trips that were 4 to 5 hours and they loved it when I made treats!!! OK>... off to make a batch to munch on!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service