Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Hey cakers, When trimming base of buttercream cake with ribbon it doesn't stick well and comes off what am I doin wrong??

Views: 829

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It should stick if you secure each piece together properly at the back.  I use either a small dab of royal icing or pipping gel.  I have heard of some people using pins but I wouldn't recommend this unless you MAKE SURE you tell the bride and groom that they're in there!  I'm sure there will be lots of great suggestions on here! :)

http://www.easy-cake-decorating.com 

You could also secure it with a dab of buttercream where the ends overlap.  I prefer that than having to get a new ingredient.  You can also pipe a border on the top and bottom of the ribbon to hold it in place.
ok thanks fellow cakers, i appreciate the information!!!

Hi Teresa

After I secure the ribbon with a dab of royal icing, I like to pipe some kind of decorative design around the ribbon.  Not only does it help keep the ribbon in place, it looks pretty too.

OK JUNE DOES THIS ALSO APPLY TO FONDANT AS WELL ????

June Kowalczyk said:

Hi Teresa

After I secure the ribbon with a dab of royal icing, I like to pipe some kind of decorative design around the ribbon.  Not only does it help keep the ribbon in place, it looks pretty too.

Yes, especially fondant, because, just my opinion, unless you have other embellishments on the fondant, it's pretty boring looking without some piping.

Are you saying you are attaching the ribbon on buttercream???  When I took my classes, many moons ago, we had to buy special ribbon to put on buttercream because otherwise,  the grease would bleed through the ribbon, and it would look pretty yuky.  SOoooo, you might want to look into that, if this is the case.

To prevent the oil coming thru on the ribbon, iron the wrong side on wax paper to coat the ribbon (wrong side or the side on the cake). I secure mine with double face carpet tape. This works OK, just don't touch the tape with oily hands from the icing.
OK THANX SANDY,I WILL TRY THIS METHOD ALSO!!

Sandy Lampe said:
To prevent the oil coming thru on the ribbon, iron the wrong side on wax paper to coat the ribbon (wrong side or the side on the cake). I secure mine with double face carpet tape. This works OK, just don't touch the tape with oily hands from the icing.
Well u learn something new everyday. That is a good tip. Thanks

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service