Cake Decorating Community - Cakes We Bake

Hi All,

As you know we Caribbean Cakers really enjoy things with good flavours!  If any of you are interested in sharing any recipes, feel free to do it here :).  Feel free to include filling and icing recipes as well!

Views: 423

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Kerry,

I have another pound cake recipe (I LOVE POUND CAKES!) that uses cream cheese, so I would imagine that you might be able to substitute cream cheese for the sour cream...the best way to find out is to to give it a try!

I thought that caster sugar was similar to granulated sugar, but I might be wrong...the sugar in the recipe is just the regular white sugar that you can use for baking.

I think the cake would go very well with a lemon flavoured cream cheese icing, as the cream cheese would probably cut down on the sweetness of the cake. As for fillings, I love the way that berries and lemons taste together, so i usually use raspberry preserves or blend raspberry preserves into vanilla buttercream (the English style buttercream, which is just butter, icing sugar and vanilla). Blueberry preserves and mixed berry preserves also work great with lemon cake. If you want a real lemon-y flavour, I would even use lemon curd!

I should have included that this recipe is enough for a 10 inch bundt pan...so it should be enough to give you 2 short 8 inch rounds, 2 short 9 inch rounds, and might be enough to give you one short 10 inch round or one short quarter sheet.

I hope this helps!
Any great Red velvet cake recipe...would love one from you guys to try...:)
Okay Teneisha, I'm going to be brave and give fruit cake a try! Any suggestions?? It will be my first time giving it a whirl!

Teneisha Williams said:
I posted this recipe some time ago in forums.

1 lb butter

1 lb sugar

8-10 eggs

4 cups flour

2 tsp baking powder to each cup of flour

1/4 lb bread crumbs

1 tsp cinnamon** or as needed

1 tsp mixed spice** or as needed

1 tsp nutmeg** or as needed

1 lb Fruits*** (currants, raisins, prunes, cherries, mixed peel...not too much mixed peel...more of the other fruits can be added if needed...I like lots of fruits in my cake...)

Rum (white or red) (I use white... J.Wray and Nephew Overproof Rum...crazy stuff))

Wine (Port)

Brandy

1 Bottle Browning

2-3 tsp Vanilla or as needed

1-2 tsp almond extract or as needed

1 cup Marmalade or Jam (your preferred flavour)

* This cake is more like a pudding...can be altered to create a cake texture by lessening the fruits

** I usually eyeball the amounts...add as I go along until the desired taste is achieved (lots of tasting involved)...I like my fruit cake heavily spiced...

***The Fruits are typically steamed with wine and rum ...slightly blend fruits...seal in a container at least 2 weeks before needed...

****I have considered using some amarreto in this recipe...have not tried it yet...

Method

1.Sift flour and baking powder then add bread crumbs and spices to mixture

2.Cream butter and sugar

3. Add eggs one at a time

4. Fold in dry ingredients to the creamed mixture

5. Add wine and rum as needed

6. Add Vanilla

7. Add browning (usually1 bottle to a pound) making sure there are no white spots

8. Add fruits to mixture

9. Pour into greased lined tins and bake until done

10. Remove from oven and pour some brandy over the cake

11. When cooled cover with foil and allow the cake to mellow for a couple days...

Enjoy!
Faith's Red Velvet Cake

Ingredients:
2 eggs
1/4-1/2 C unsweetened cocoa powder (some people like a more chocolately tasting red velvet, but for me, 1/4 is enough)
1/4 C (2 oz) liquid red food colouring
2 C sifted all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 C shortening
1 1/2 C white sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 C buttermilk or sour milk
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp white vinegar

1. Allow eggs to stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
2. Stir together cocoa powder and food dye.
3. Stir together flour and salt.
4. Beat shortening until fluffy (on medium high for about 30 secs should do the trick)
5. Add sugar and vanilla to the shortening. Beat until well combined.
6. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until well combined.
7, Beat in cocoa mixture.
8. Alternatively add flour mixture and buttermilk (beginning and ending with flour mixture), beating on low speed after each additional. Beat until just combined.
9. Stir together baking soda and vinegar. Add to the batter. Mix until its combined.
10. Pour into prepared baking pans
11. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Tastes great with cream cheese frosting! Should yield 2 short 8" rounds, 2 short 9" rounds or one short 9x13 sheet.

* If you don't have buttermilk, you can make your own sour milk, but putting one Tbsp of lemon juice or vinegar in a measuring cup and adding milk until one cup is measured. Stir and let it sit for 5 minutes before using.

ENJOY!
Hey Teneisha,

I posted my red velvet cake recipe. It has my husband's stamp of approval and he is from South Carolina and those country boys know their red velvets :). We both prefer it with less cocoa powder, but some people like a more chocolate taste, so its up to your taste what you prefer.

Let me know if you try it and like it!

Teneisha Williams said:
Will give it a shot tomorrow...have a bday cake for Saturday...Will let you know how it goes...:)

Faith Gealey-Brown said:
Hey Teneisha,

I posted my red velvet cake recipe. It has my husband's stamp of approval and he is from South Carolina and those country boys know their red velvets :). We both prefer it with less cocoa powder, but some people like a more chocolate taste, so its up to your taste what you prefer.

Let me know if you try it and like it!

Teneisha Williams said:
I made 4 fruit cakes earlier....one of the crazy weekend brides is out of cake already and ordered more...:)

I normally start with the base recipe...once the batter has come together...I do a taste test...then adjust as necessary....today i started out with 7 tsps of vanilla...you know it's the artificial stuff...lol...2 tsps of mixed spice and 2 tsps of cinammon...

After I added the fruits (about 5 cups) can be less if you don't like lots of fruits...i tasted the batter...wasn't comfy with it...so i folded in maybe another 1 1/2 tsps mixed spice and 1 tsp vanilla....i added the mixed spice in 1/2 tsps addition...after u put in the spice u can't take it out...lol

I baked it at 300....with a water bath...the kitchen smells amazing...I used a cup of strawberry jam as well...

I steamed the fruits with port wine, white rum, brandy and pineapple juice...blended the fruits with a little wine as the fruits will absorb the liquid while it cools...

When the cakes are still warm (not hot...lol) i pour a cap full or so of brandy over the cake along with wine...about the same...you can add more if you want to get the cake TIPSY....lol...

The result...great fruit cake!

All the best!

Faith Gealey-Brown said:
Okay Teneisha, I'm going to be brave and give fruit cake a try! Any suggestions?? It will be my first time giving it a whirl!

Teneisha Williams said:

1 lb butter

1 lb sugar

8-10 eggs

4 cups flour

1/4 lb bread crumbs

1 lb Fruits*** (currants, raisins, prunes, cherries, mixed peel...not too much mixed peel...more of the other fruits can be added if needed...I like lots of fruits in my cake...)

Rum (white or red) (I use white... J.Wray and Nephew Overproof Rum...crazy stuff))

Wine (Port)

Brandy

1 Bottle Browning

* This cake is more like a pudding...can be altered to create a cake texture by lessening the fruits

** I usually eyeball the amounts...add as I go along until the desired taste is achieved (lots of tasting involved)...I like my fruit cake heavily spiced...

***The Fruits are typically steamed with wine and rum ...slightly blend fruits...seal in a container at least 2 weeks before needed...

****I have considered using some amarreto in this recipe...have not tried it yet...

Method

2.Cream butter and sugar

6. Add Vanilla

7. Add browning (usually1 bottle to a pound) making sure there are no white spots

8. Add fruits to mixture

11. When cooled cover with foil and allow the cake to mellow for a couple days...

Enjoy!
When steaming the fruits...the liquid need not cover the fruits...you should be seeing it though... (not sure if that made sense to you...:) constantly stir...once it comes to a boil...turn off the heat and let cool...

Teneisha Williams said:
I made 4 fruit cakes earlier....one of the crazy weekend brides is out of cake already and ordered more...:)

I normally start with the base recipe...once the batter has come together...I do a taste test...then adjust as necessary....today i started out with 7 tsps of vanilla...you know it's the artificial stuff...lol...2 tsps of mixed spice and 2 tsps of cinammon...

After I added the fruits (about 5 cups) can be less if you don't like lots of fruits...i tasted the batter...wasn't comfy with it...so i folded in maybe another 1 1/2 tsps mixed spice and 1 tsp vanilla....i added the mixed spice in 1/2 tsps addition...after u put in the spice u can't take it out...lol

I baked it at 300....with a water bath...the kitchen smells amazing...I used a cup of strawberry jam as well...

I steamed the fruits with port wine, white rum, brandy and pineapple juice...blended the fruits with a little wine as the fruits will absorb the liquid while it cools...

When the cakes are still warm (not hot...lol) i pour a cap full or so of brandy over the cake along with wine...about the same...you can add more if you want to get the cake TIPSY....lol...

The result...great fruit cake!

All the best!

Faith Gealey-Brown said:

Teneisha Williams said:

1 lb butter

1 lb sugar

8-10 eggs

4 cups flour

1/4 lb bread crumbs

Wine (Port)

Brandy

1 Bottle Browning

Method

2.Cream butter and sugar

6. Add Vanilla

8. Add fruits to mixture

Enjoy!
Thanks Teneisha! Just one more question - how much wine/rum do you add to the actual batter? I don't want my cakes to be too rummy! LOL.

Also do more eggs make it more "cakey" or is the 8-10 just depending on the size of the eggs?

Thanks so much! I'm going to steam my fruits tomorrow :). I think I may use the red label cake wine, since I remember my mom and my gramma used to use that for their fruit cakes. My mom's fruit cake recipe is amazing but she isn't ready to part with it yet! So I plan to surprise her with this one! :).
I typically use 8...10 if they are small....more eggs may make it eggy...:)

I really don't add any wine to the batter...go easy with the rum...it can make it bitter...I let the fruits take care of the "liquid"...the batter will be just a little thick...just a lil bit more than a plain cake batter before you add the fruits...if after adding the fruits u think it is still too thick..then add the amount of wine that you think will fix the "prob"...Red Label Wine girl!!!!!'...I doubt you will need to with a 1lb batter...

You should still have a fairly thick batter!..I'm so rooting for you on this one..especially since it's going to be a surprise...:)...tell me all about it when it unfolds...:)

My Mom once told me that the taste of the fruit cake batter will be just what the finished cake will taste like...it will taste a little better when everything has mellowed together...but the moral is...make sure it tastes great before you pour the batter into the tins...taste and adjust the batter million times if you have to...:)...get the taste that you are expecting...the spicing is KEY!...

Enjoy!!

Faith Gealey-Brown said:
Thanks Teneisha! Just one more question - how much wine/rum do you add to the actual batter? I don't want my cakes to be too rummy! LOL.

Also do more eggs make it more "cakey" or is the 8-10 just depending on the size of the eggs?

Thanks so much! I'm going to steam my fruits tomorrow :). I think I may use the red label cake wine, since I remember my mom and my gramma used to use that for their fruit cakes. My mom's fruit cake recipe is amazing but she isn't ready to part with it yet! So I plan to surprise her with this one! :).
Hey Teneisha,

Okay so I'm so terrible, I haven't steamed my fruits yet. I have 2 more questions!

The cup of jam - where does that go? In the fruits when you are steaming them?

How many cakes does this matter yield?

I got my fruits (prunes, dates, cherries, currants, mixed fruit, mixed peel, and mincemeat (which I will probably add after the fruit have been steamed so it doesn't get too mushy)), brandy, red label wine (not a fan of rum in fruit cakes so going to just do the wine and brandy), ribena (for the juice :)) and blackcurrant jam on standby - waiting for your input! Thanks soo much for your help!
I know what you mean Faith...been there...
Ok...

1. I add the jam after I add the fruits
2. I don't know what is in mixed fruit nor do I know what mince meat is...
3. No raisins?...you gotta put some raisins in...:)
4. I would say go easy with the mixed peel...I don't use it all...there's something about it that I just don't like...it makes the fruit cake taste too much like easter bun...
5. Omitting the rum is fine...I use just a tiny amount...may be very ineffective...lol
6. I don't add too much prunes...because of it's POWERS...lol
7. When I make the 1lb batter and I want to get as many cakes as possible I normally add an additional cup of flour and 2tsps baking powder...this yields 2 8" and 2 6"

I wish I could taste the cake with the ribena and black currant jam...:)

Teneisha

Faith Gealey-Brown said:
Hey Teneisha,

Okay so I'm so terrible, I haven't steamed my fruits yet. I have 2 more questions!

The cup of jam - where does that go? In the fruits when you are steaming them?

How many cakes does this matter yield?

I got my fruits (prunes, dates, cherries, currants, mixed fruit, mixed peel, and mincemeat (which I will probably add after the fruit have been steamed so it doesn't get too mushy)), brandy, red label wine (not a fan of rum in fruit cakes so going to just do the wine and brandy), ribena (for the juice :)) and blackcurrant jam on standby - waiting for your input! Thanks soo much for your help!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Theresa Happe.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service